1500 Miles- Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1500 Miles- Awesome!

Hi Everyone:

I just turned 1500 miles on my PWP/Parch '05 TSX, and thought I'd share my impressions. The bottom line: This car rocks! Quite simply, it is the best, most refined, and most fun-to-drive car in the price range.

Powertrain: Surprisingly good! I came out of an '02 RSX 5-AT, and this car has significantly more power. While it's no Mustang GT off the line, it is much better than average for every day driving. The exhaust note is muted, but does emit a nice snarl when I put my foot down. The throttle response is very good. Off the line, I initially thought that the throttle felt a bit "jumpy", but I guess I've adapted. At higher RPMs, the car moves out quite nicely. The 5-AT feels similar to the tranny in my old RSX, but the sport-shift seems to shift quicker, with less of a lag. In auto mode, upshifts and downshifts are SMOOTH. I love the dual personality of this engine: I can drive it like a luxury car, and enjoy quite, smooth power; or I can drive it like a sports car and enjoy the pure bliss of VTEC power.

Dynamics: In a word- Excellent! Ride quality is smooth and reasonably luxurious, while giving good road feel. Bumps are absorbed quickly, with no fuss. On the highway, wind noise is very low, but I do notice some tire noise as a result of the esteemed stock tires(j/k). In terms of handling, the car is sensational! I feel it handles nearly as well as my RSX. The steering is perfectly weighted, and offers very good feel. Path control and tracking are fantastic. Body roll is kept in check nicely, though it does understeer a tad when pushed to the limit. The understeer does, however, give me a safety margin. I really feel that Honda/Acura has really narrowed the fwd/rwd gap by a wide margin. The brakes are the best that I've experienced in a Honda/Acura product, offering fade-free stops with great pedal feel. Very good in this respect.

Interior/Comfort: No one can dispute that this interior is absolutely gorgeous! After 1500 miles, I've come to love the parchment/plood. The plood actually looks really nice! When I bought the car, I made the dealer give me a set of black floormats in addition to the beige, and I feel that they enhance the appearence of the interior, while easing the maintenance associated with a light interior. The seats have really good lateral support, and on a 300 mile trip from L.I. to Syracuse(where I go to school), I had absolutely no pain. The steering wheel mounted controls are excellent, especially now that they are lit for '05. The ergonomics, as expected from an Acura are first rate. The stock stereo is really good, and I LOVE the XM Radio! The signal is strong and crisp, and the variety of songs that are played is excellent. The speakers are capable of playing music at very high volumes with little distortion. Of course, it may not please pure audiophiles, but it is WORLDS better than the stock unit that I had in the RSX. Fit and Finish has been marvelous, with no rattle or squeaks(My RSX was tight for the 20k that I had it as well). Overall, the interior of this car is truly class leading.

Problems: Well, after 1 day with the car, my CD changer "froze"(of course with 6 CDs in there). Luckily, I was still able to listen to FM and XM. Acura of Valley Stream replaced it within a week. They told me this was the second 05 TSX that they've had to replace the head unit on.

Overall, I'm in love with my new car. Let me conclude by saying that we've had Honda/Acura products in my family since 1991(1991 Legend, 1994 Legend, 1996 RL, 1997 Accord, 1997 2.2 CL, 2000 TL, 2001 Accord EX V6, and my 2002 RSX), and this was is probably the best built, best all-around package that I've seen. My father(a die-hard Acura freak, who happens to be driving a 2004 Mazda 6s Hatch at the moment) agrees as well. In comparison with my dad's Mazda, my car is definitely more luxurious and better built, but we both feel that his car has slightly better handling reflexes. If anyone is interested in my first hand comparison between these two excellent cars, feel free to ask.

Anyway, sorry for the long post!

Regards,
Lee
Old 01-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Hear this Acura Canada; we want the PWP/Parchemin combo in the TSX!

Congrats.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lrgold02
Hi Everyone:

I just turned 1500 miles on my PWP/Parch '05 TSX, and thought I'd share my impressions. The bottom line: This car rocks! Quite simply, it is the best, most refined, and most fun-to-drive car in the price range.

Powertrain: Surprisingly good! I came out of an '02 RSX 5-AT, and this car has significantly more power. While it's no Mustang GT off the line, it is much better than average for every day driving. The exhaust note is muted, but does emit a nice snarl when I put my foot down. The throttle response is very good. Off the line, I initially thought that the throttle felt a bit "jumpy", but I guess I've adapted. At higher RPMs, the car moves out quite nicely. The 5-AT feels similar to the tranny in my old RSX, but the sport-shift seems to shift quicker, with less of a lag. In auto mode, upshifts and downshifts are SMOOTH. I love the dual personality of this engine: I can drive it like a luxury car, and enjoy quite, smooth power; or I can drive it like a sports car and enjoy the pure bliss of VTEC power.

Dynamics: In a word- Excellent! Ride quality is smooth and reasonably luxurious, while giving good road feel. Bumps are absorbed quickly, with no fuss. On the highway, wind noise is very low, but I do notice some tire noise as a result of the esteemed stock tires(j/k). In terms of handling, the car is sensational! I feel it handles nearly as well as my RSX. The steering is perfectly weighted, and offers very good feel. Path control and tracking are fantastic. Body roll is kept in check nicely, though it does understeer a tad when pushed to the limit. The understeer does, however, give me a safety margin. I really feel that Honda/Acura has really narrowed the fwd/rwd gap by a wide margin. The brakes are the best that I've experienced in a Honda/Acura product, offering fade-free stops with great pedal feel. Very good in this respect.

Interior/Comfort: No one can dispute that this interior is absolutely gorgeous! After 1500 miles, I've come to love the parchment/plood. The plood actually looks really nice! When I bought the car, I made the dealer give me a set of black floormats in addition to the beige, and I feel that they enhance the appearence of the interior, while easing the maintenance associated with a light interior. The seats have really good lateral support, and on a 300 mile trip from L.I. to Syracuse(where I go to school), I had absolutely no pain. The steering wheel mounted controls are excellent, especially now that they are lit for '05. The ergonomics, as expected from an Acura are first rate. The stock stereo is really good, and I LOVE the XM Radio! The signal is strong and crisp, and the variety of songs that are played is excellent. The speakers are capable of playing music at very high volumes with little distortion. Of course, it may not please pure audiophiles, but it is WORLDS better than the stock unit that I had in the RSX. Fit and Finish has been marvelous, with no rattle or squeaks(My RSX was tight for the 20k that I had it as well). Overall, the interior of this car is truly class leading.

Problems: Well, after 1 day with the car, my CD changer "froze"(of course with 6 CDs in there). Luckily, I was still able to listen to FM and XM. Acura of Valley Stream replaced it within a week. They told me this was the second 05 TSX that they've had to replace the head unit on.

Overall, I'm in love with my new car. Let me conclude by saying that we've had Honda/Acura products in my family since 1991(1991 Legend, 1994 Legend, 1996 RL, 1997 Accord, 1997 2.2 CL, 2000 TL, 2001 Accord EX V6, and my 2002 RSX), and this was is probably the best built, best all-around package that I've seen. My father(a die-hard Acura freak, who happens to be driving a 2004 Mazda 6s Hatch at the moment) agrees as well. In comparison with my dad's Mazda, my car is definitely more luxurious and better built, but we both feel that his car has slightly better handling reflexes. If anyone is interested in my first hand comparison between these two excellent cars, feel free to ask.

Anyway, sorry for the long post!

Regards,
Lee
Hi Lee. I'd love to hear your comparison between the Mazda 6 Hatch and the TSX. They are the two main cars that I am considering as my next car. Also which one seems to handle the pothole ridden roads of LI. I am down in LI every weekend and hate how hard my GSR takes them. Thanks.

Brian
Old 01-22-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I'd love to hear about the Mazda 6 too. I never got a chance to drive one. Is it AT?
Old 01-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Advanced

Congrats and thanks for the post, Lee.
Your comments reflect mine exactly in all respects. I've put 1200 miles on in 2 weeks, a lot of it on California Highway 1 up the coast.
My last 3 cars before this have benn: '86 Integra; '91 Legend; '01 S2000.
The TSX is the best overall car of all of them. I loved my new 1970 BMW 2002, but this may surpass it in terms of fun.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Nice post Lee. I love LONG reviews of the TSX. Makes me want the car more and more.

I have only test driven the car. But the thing just fits me like a glove. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Lee. Did you test drive any TSXs with the ebony interior? Do you like the parchment interior better than the ebony? I prefer the ebony but maybe the parchment with the imitation wood can grow on me if I get it.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Carlos- I did indeed test drive the TSX with the ebony interior. Make no mistake, it gives the car a very high-tech, ultra-modern feel. I happened to love the way it looks. That being said, I would up going with the Parchment simply because I really wanted the PWP, and as we all know, pachment is the only interior that the car is available with. If I could have purchased the PWP with Ebony, I probably would have.

The parch/plood really gives the car a luxurious look. The plood is a bit lighter in shade than many other cars, giving it more of an "exotic" look. I also love the contrast between the beige leather and the black upper dash/door panels. It gives the car a really sporty, yet luxurious feel. As I mentioned in my previous post, I made the dealer give me the black floormats as well as the stock parchment ones. The black mats enhance the sporty look, and are MUCH easier to keep clean. I will post a pic later if you'd like.....

Also, I will post my comparison of the Mazda 6 and the TSX a bit later.....

Regards,
Lee
Old 01-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Am I retarded ?? What's PWP???
Old 01-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Premium White Pearl
Old 01-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Advanced

Lee:

Yes. That would be great if you could post pictures of the interior.

Below is a link to Acura TSX interior pictures. You have to scroll down. Specifically, there are two pictures of the parchment interior with beige floor mats. It would be great if you can take two or more pictures of the interior from the same angle that was used in those 2 pictures. I guess the first picture is taken from the backseat and the second one is taken from the outside with the door open.

I really want to see what the black floor mats do for the interior.

Thanks Lee.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
Old 01-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Advanced

Would also love to see pix of black and beige (both are available now) all weathers in the parchment interior. Was leaning toward the new beige mats to preserve the light and airy feel in the parchment cabin, but one look at black could change my mind. One look at pix with a little help from your friends could crystalize your choice.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dr. T
Congrats and thanks for the post, Lee.
Your comments reflect mine exactly in all respects. I've put 1200 miles on in 2 weeks, a lot of it on California Highway 1 up the coast.
My last 3 cars before this have benn: '86 Integra; '91 Legend; '01 S2000.
The TSX is the best overall car of all of them. I loved my new 1970 BMW 2002, but this may surpass it in terms of fun.

Wow you like your TSX over your S2000. That really says something for the TSX. I absolutely fell in love with the S2000 but it is not practical for me since it would be my only car and I live in the northeast. If I could afford to keep two cars, the S2000 would definetly be one of my cars.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

Pics of Black Mats

Hey Guys:

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Here's a shot of my car with the black mats.

http://www.esquiretrim.com/PICT0076.JPG

Cheers,
Lee
Old 01-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Intermediate

Good deal, 1300 and change and no issues here.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lrgold02
Hey Guys:

Sorry for the long delay in responding. Here's a shot of my car with the black mats.

http://www.esquiretrim.com/PICT0076.JPG

Cheers,
Lee
Wow. : That looks really good. I think I may have to trade in my parchment mats for the black ones.