08 TSX intermittent clicking--is it the chain/tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 TSX intermittent clicking--is it the chain/tensioner?

Every once in a while while in gear (6-speed), I hear a series of clicking noises coming from the engine compartment. I've got 63k miles.

At first, the sound occurred infrequently, and only at certain engine speeds and under certain load conditions. It would manifest itself around 1500 rpm as three or five clicks, and then the sound would go away for a while. The sound basically only occurred when I did a "sloppy" start, like revving to 1500 rpm and getting it all hooked up, rather than launching at 1100 rpm or so, which is my usual practice. A/C on/off doesn't affect it either.

Now it happens much more frequently, but only in gear, never while in neutral. Sometimes it occurs continuously for a while, and other times I only hear a few clicks and nothing more. A friend and I took turns driving the car forward and backward with the hood open, basically just doing different combinations of gas and clutch to produce the sound. My observation was that the sound was coming from the timing cover area.

One final note: Last week, I overrevved my engine by way of a misshift. According to the Honda scantool, the max RPM was 8650 (oops ) and I am not seeing any loss of power or indication of bent valves. I do not believe the sound occurred before this, but I am not sure.

I suspect the timing chain tensioner, since that's said to be a weak point of the engine, and that would make sense given the location of the noise and the fact that the sound appeared following the overrevving incident. What can I do to further diagnose the problem?

Last edited by Zane Kaminski; 03-30-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
A loose chain causes a mismatch between camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensor. This sets a code (P0341). If no code, then problem likely lies elsewhere.

Have you inspected CV axles. They can cause clicks/pops when worn.

Serpentine belt tensioner may also cause clicking. Suggest removing belt for short period to see if noise disappears.

Loose exhaust heat shields are also source of clicking/popping sounds.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
Zane Kaminski (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:52 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I already ruled out any heatshields. I will try removing the serpentine belt later and will put the car up on a lift and look at the CV axles.