AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TL (1996-1998) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/)
-   -   white smoke coming out of the exhaust. (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/white-smoke-coming-out-exhaust-637207/)

96acura2.5tl 04-10-2008 06:26 PM

white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

when i push the accelerator alot of white smoke comes out, its 70degrees outside so its not the cold weather. iam pretty sure cars arent suppose to smoke like that. any one know whats wrong?

thanks

phee 04-10-2008 06:52 PM

sounds like youre burning oil
either that or you need a good seafoam treatment

96acura2.5tl 04-10-2008 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by phee

is it ok to drive it? i probably willl take it to the garage tom or sat to check it out.

princelybug 04-10-2008 07:22 PM

If it is thick white smoke, then it might possibly be a bad head gasket.

phee 04-10-2008 07:30 PM

im sure its fine to drive it, just dotn drive it hard. take it to acura, they will tell you EXACTLY what it needs. dont trust one of these private shops for diagnosis

96acura2.5tl 04-10-2008 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by princelybug
If it is thick white smoke, then it might possibly be a bad head gasket.

its not thick but it is alot when i stop and go from a traffic light. u can see it clearly.

phee 04-10-2008 07:56 PM

yea its a bad gasket most likely

96acura2.5tl 04-10-2008 08:18 PM

how much do gaskets cost?

NickKendryna 04-11-2008 12:11 PM

Replacing gaskets is really cheap, especially a blown Head Gasket.

96acura2.5tl 04-11-2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by NickKendryna
Replacing gaskets is really cheap, especially a blown Head Gasket.

are you being serious? or messing with me. i think its expensive right?

Go90go 04-11-2008 01:01 PM

Oil burns blue, but from the symptoms the OP is describing, I say valve cover gaskets and/or valve seals. A big puff of smoke after idling for awhile is a big sign of that. Much cheaper than the head gaskets, obviously, and shouldn't run over $200 installed.

~Cheers~

Deadd 04-11-2008 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Go90go
Oil burns blue, but from the symptoms the OP is describing, I say valve cover gaskets and/or valve seals. A big puff of smoke after idling for awhile is a big sign of that. Much cheaper than the head gaskets, obviously, and shouldn't run over $200 installed.

~Cheers~

excatly, not burning oil its anywhere from blue to black smoke, white is normally gasket or burning cheap gas, 7-11 is the worst place to get it

96acura2.5tl 04-11-2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deadd
excatly, not burning oil its anywhere from blue to black smoke, white is normally gasket or burning cheap gas, 7-11 is the worst place to get it

i had put in new valve cover gaskets while back. iam hoping it is cheap gas. i put 87 yesterday $10 worth.

NickKendryna 04-11-2008 02:04 PM

I'm just messing with you, I blew a head gasket in my Acura Legend and it was either $2000 to rebuild the engine or $2500 to buy and install a new one. Your car will meet death if it blows it's head gasket. It's one of the most expensive things you can replace on these cars besides a motor or tranny.

96acura2.5tl 04-12-2008 03:49 PM

there is a d ring thats leaking oil which spills on the exhaust that is the cause of the smoke. the garage said itll be around $160 to fix it. is that reasonable?

NickKendryna 04-12-2008 05:33 PM

Yeah that sounds good.

Go90go 04-12-2008 05:46 PM

Go for it! $160 for repairs on our cars is nothing, haha.

~Cheers~

meazz1 04-12-2008 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 96acura2.5tl
there is a d ring thats leaking oil which spills on the exhaust that is the cause of the smoke. the garage said itll be around $160 to fix it. is that reasonable?

What is a "d ring"?
I have the similar problem.

96acura2.5tl 04-12-2008 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by meazz1
What is a "d ring"?
I have the similar problem.

i have no clue, the guy said its above the exhaust thats why the smoke was coming because of the oil going leaking into the exhaust buring up in the exhaust.

Colt45 04-13-2008 12:22 PM

phee clearly does not know what hes talking about and is just chiming in to up his post count

its burning oil

2 mins later

its fine to drive

3 mins later

its a bad headgasket

white smoke is a headgasket for sure. Check your oil to see the tan hot chocolate foamy mess in there. If thats the case and its been in there for a few days sitting, go ahead and either order a 20 overbore piston/ring set, a master gasket set, new headgaskets, and all new main and rod bearings. If theres water/coolant sitting in your ductile iron factory sleeve and on the steel crank where the main and rod bearings are, you are growing rust. Within a week it will have all the journals covered in rust, and the crank and block will be garbage untill its rebuilt. Even then with oversized bearings on the crank and it being turned opens you up to a wide variety of nightmares.

Best thing to do would be start pulling it apart right now. Its fucked. The longer you leave it also, the more stuff there is thats going to be scrap. Personally if i were you, and didnt plan on rebuilding it to make more compression or something, id just buy a new engine or a 3.5 for it or some shit. Keep in mind though, the more power you make, the faster the automatic transmission will blow up into 4000 pieces.

Colt45 04-13-2008 12:34 PM

the car is NOT fine to drive. If its bellowing white smoke, its the water spraying into the combustion chamber and steaming up and blowing the boiled steaming water out your exhaust, hence the white. It will smell like syrupy antifreeze and your radiator will lack fluid if you pop the cap off and look inside.(dont pop the fuggin cap off when its full in the H either, unless you want a freddy kruger face lift when you get blasted in the face with steam)

If you break a ring on the piston, it will dump white/blue smoke like a shitty lawnmower does the first time you start it in the spring. It will smell like burnt oil also. MONDO different smells, in no way shape or form similar.

You "keep driving it to the dealer" like NOOBPHEE told you to do....

a- if its the headgaskets, it will wash out all the oil in your cylinders and score the cylinders from mega friction due to the lack of oil and expansion of the cast aluminum pistons from heat. It will then try to keep forcing the pistons up, more than likely eventually leading to the piston freezing, then the rod snapping and going through the side of your motor. Maybe if you are lucky since the trans runs right along the motor in the lower pan, you will throw the rod through the block and transmission casing entirely scrapping everything under the hood.

b- if its the rings, which its not, or an oil issue, it will do the exact same things as the water situation would do, just the temp will not raise boiling and be as easy to avoid. The Shit would be making so much noise from a broken ring or major oil failure that you would have to be hellen keller not to shut it off. But if you kept going it would lock the piston up and throw a rod through the block as well.

so, instead of following suggestions, advice, or even paying attention to some dildo with no idea what hes talking about beyond playing xbox360 or whatever, take my advice, DO NOT DRIVE THAT SHIT ANYWHERE. PULL THE HEADS OFF IT ASAP, AND AT THE VERY WORSE, DRAIN THE OIL OUT OF IT AND FLUSH IT WITH FRESH OIL. that way at least theres not coolant sitting in the pan.

Sorry to be a dickface, ive just been building honda and acura engines for the last 11 years, and that dude clearly does not know what the fuck hes talking about.

Id hate to see you cost yourself like 2 grand just cause some warcraft player told you its ok to drive, you took his advice, went to blockbuster down the street to return some moviies, and throw a rod through your block.

NickKendryna 04-13-2008 02:16 PM

im sure its fine to drive it, just dotn drive it hard. take it to acura, they will tell you EXACTLY what it needs. dont trust one of these private shops for diagnosis

The car is not fine to drive, your head gasket is going to blow and it's gonna cost $2000 rather than the $800 if you replace it now. Stop driving immediatley and listen to some of us. My Legend is totalled because I kept driving. You do what you want.

96acura2.5tl 04-13-2008 08:13 PM

fuck man. so its not the ring or whatever it is? so your saying the head gasket is going to go?? i check my oil regularly now and its between the two holes on the measuring stick thiny. so there is oil in it. colt45 thanks man u sound like you know what your talking about. iam seriously thinking about selling the car i dont have 2grand to spend to fix it.

NickKendryna 04-13-2008 09:33 PM

Go ahead and do the $160 repair and than go from there. Next step is to get the D-ring or what ever replaced and see if that fixes it. I don't want to see another post from you until you get that repair done. - Nick

Colt45 04-16-2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by NickKendryna
Go ahead and do the $160 repair and than go from there. Next step is to get the D-ring or what ever replaced and see if that fixes it. I don't want to see another post from you until you get that repair done. - Nick

x2

and id have those queers write in blood that IS their SOLE diagnosis. no horseshit where they charge you 160 to take your shit for the day ferris bueler style, finger their butthole, and say "nope didnt fix it, needs a new set of headgaskets".

(note)
had the entire tl engine apart into 100,000 pieces in my garage, never seen a d ring. no idea what the fuck a d ring is either. And i school all of the parts managers at the dealer every time im there. so id say thats a fictional item.

Twingst 12-01-2017 06:28 PM

2G 2005 RL Valve Cover (I couldn't find thread for the 2G RL)

Welcome to the forums.

I moved your post to the 2G RL Forum.

LINK: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-cover-964963/