What should I fabricate for the 1st Gens?

Old 03-31-2006, 06:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lastly, and I've always personally thought this was cool and useful - a mod that uses some combo of relays, and wiring, so that when you put the tranny in reverse, the passenger side mirror (and maybe even driver's side) tilt down to aid in parking. 3g TL's do this and its not only functional, but its also a crowd pleaser! If you could figure out the wiring and get a suitable relay and sell it as a kit, I'd be all over this one, as would be others.

Let us know how the fabricating is goin and thanks for your work! [/QUOTE]

haha i do that all the time and then forget to move my mirrors back, im drinving down the road and im like crap im looking at my tires.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Copy252 did you get the last emal I sent you? I need comprehensive pics with a detailed description of the desired modifications with direct referernces to the pictures, then I'll slap it together for you.

TLBaller.... Nice.... I'll see what I can do.... how would you feel about a lower profile case...led lights maybe? As far as the window thing goes...right idea wrong place in the car... any suggestions on an alternate place to put a console like that?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:21 AM
Instructor

Well I have a toyota power mirror in my workshop and I will start trying to see how it ticks. That is a damn sweet idea, when I first got wheels it took me like two minutes to park near (ok well 25" usually) a curb. I would still use that mod if I had it, but now I park without even checking any mirrors.

Anyhow....I need to get money for materials...so if anyone needs kickpods or sparetire/stealth sub boxes let me know, any profit from them will go straight into fabrication for the 1st gens. (I hope this isn't against any rules)

Thanks, I'll be in the lab for a good long while with this...
Old 04-01-2006, 02:28 AM
Instructor

Geez, I just saw another part of this thread I hadn't read..... the monitors..... that's on the top of the list, along with the rear ash tray insert......

the diagram would be a huge help.

I am very obsessed with perfection... I very rarely show ANYBODY my work, this is because I don't have the capitol to make prototypes with good (or sometimes proper) materials and finish. Your ideas have been applied but I haven't been satisfied with my results.... so anyways THANKS FOR THE INPUT!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:48 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by copy252
im with u... fuck those vents! l ets get tv's!!!
I'm in ... No disagreements here. Actually, from my first looks...we could make it work losing only one vent.... Let's make it work!!! Count me in for SURE.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:53 AM
Instructor

I am worried that there would be too much heat on the LCD if the heater is blocked, but I am definetly still waiting for a drawing..
Old 04-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Wost case, cut a vent in the bottom and build a deflector into the bottom of the pod to direct heat away from the LCD. ;0 Always more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
i dunno how well the side mirrors going down in reverse would work because how would it know how far back up to go to be in the same position as before, the reasons the newer TLs can do it is becaue of memory seats.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Instructor

well, I'll dick around with some different types of switching units, first I have to see if they are controlled with l/r pos/neg and up/dn pos/neg or if there is an input ref. voltage which I doubt....
Old 04-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Instructor

well, I'll dick around with some different types of switching units, first I have to see if they are controlled with l/r pos/neg and up/dn pos/neg or if there is an input ref. voltage which I doubt....
Old 04-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Memory seats would be fucking awesome!!! I wonder if it would be easy... maybe if we utilized the ones from the 95 GS legends....
Old 04-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ljmushock
Memory seats would be fucking awesome!!! I wonder if it would be easy... maybe if we utilized the ones from the 95 GS legends....
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THis would be FREAKIN awesome. Man there are some reALLY good ideas in this thread.

I had no idea that the legend had memory seats. If so, i would think that it would be fairly doable to come up with a mod to have mem. seats on our rides.

Again, some tight ideas in this thread. Hopefully, smonster comes through for us. My credit card/cash/cheque is ready............
Old 04-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Safety Car

a simple one would also be some kind of holster to hold your cell phone. you could make one with style. princess cut diamonds on platinum for us bling bling'ers.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Memory seats and reading lamps in the rear would be great.

The memory seats module could come out of a Legend or RL

The reading lamps, out of a Vigor or Legend.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Memory seats and reading lamps in the rear would be great.

The memory seats module could come out of a Legend or RL

The reading lamps, out of a Vigor or Legend.
got any pics of the reading lamps in a legend/vigor?

I agree with Ken on both ideas btw
Old 04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Instructor

The power mirror that was testing from a toyota is just as I thought. There is 3 wires, black, red, and brown. blk/rd is the vertical circuit and it moves down with the polarity blk- and red+, it moves up with the polarity blk+ and red-. The horizontil movement is controled the same way except the brown takes the place of the red. I will keep testing it to make absolutely sure that that is correct. So I am guessing that it will take a couple of relays and some kind of pulse unit with adjustable pulse length...any speculation on this?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vishnus11
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THis would be FREAKIN awesome. Man there are some reALLY good ideas in this thread.

I had no idea that the legend had memory seats.
They had memory seats, and telescopic tilt steering wheel that was wired with the memory seat function. It would retract when you turned the car off, and when you turned the car on, it wouldcome out to your setting according to you memory seat.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

got any pics of the reading lamps in a legend/vigor?

I agree with Ken on both ideas btw

G1 legends had the rear reading lamp that came on no other honda( I think)
Old 04-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Instructor

I am going to take a mold of the dashboard right now, I still need a drawing or description of the 7" monitor mount if anybody has the time to do that.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Racer

The power mirror that was testing from a toyota is just as I thought. There is 3 wires, black, red, and brown. blk/rd is the vertical circuit and it moves down with the polarity blk- and red+, it moves up with the polarity blk+ and red-. The horizontil movement is controled the same way except the brown takes the place of the red. I will keep testing it to make absolutely sure that that is correct. So I am guessing that it will take a couple of relays and some kind of pulse unit with adjustable pulse length...any speculation on this?
Getting the mirror to flip down may not be a problem.
You can use the DEI power window rollup module to accomplish this.
The way it work is, it will sense a resistance in voltage and then it will cut off the power. This is used so that the motor wont burn out.
The signal can come from the backup light with a relay.

As for getting the mirror to flip back into its previous set position, it would be hard.
We can use a timer relay, but that wont give us much control.
The best option I can think of is builting a memory circuit. But it can be time consuming and not worth it.

So as a solution, I think it would be better if be mount tiny cameras under the side mirrors, and view it with an indash flip down LCD/DVD player.

Anyway, SMonster,do you think you can make a blinking side mirror like the ones in the new RL or the TSX? Id really like that.
You probably need to cut the side mirror housing to fit the blinker lamp. Any imperfection would be covered with fiber glass. Then sand out and painted.
I dont know, just and idea.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Well I am stumped as far as the mirror goes. I have tried a bunch of different things, I will keep trying. I am going to go grab the mold for the lcd from my dash, any drawings?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:50 PM
808 TL Scene Photographer

Make Me A Hood!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Instructor

I just bought some salvage lcd units, brand new but wet. I bought them by THE POUND!

I also picked up a bunch of electronic tubes, anyone know how to convert a regular amp into a tube amp?

Well, I also am taking apart a 6" lcd, new, flipdown, and getting the raw monitor and I will be mounting it as soon as somebody steps up and gives me a picture or something to go by...
Old 04-05-2006, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Is the hazard flasher switch important to anybody?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Registered Driver

The hazard switch is sort of important, I think some places you can't get inspected if you don't have it, but being a simple switch like that, it would be easy to relocate.

Why were you gonna get rid of it?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Well, I figure that a monitor mount that put the screen a little more towards the driver would be better. This way if someone uses it for navigation it will be very easy to look at the road and the navi. I am still waiting on a drawing (hello?), but I am guessing that it will go nicely were the dash starts to curve up for the gauge cluster, not to far toward the steering wheel though, and it would be best to keep the monitor at least partially below the windshield, right?

I have a salvage yard down the street that has stuff by the pound, I mean good stuff. I just got 20 electronic tubes NIB for $20, and a bunch of LCDS (RAW sharp) for $1 a pound. There is everything from a high tech mfg. lab (OCCLI), it is all sold by the pound, $1/lb. There is dumpsters FULL of networking servers, milliamp meters, industrial electronics. I am trying to figure out what I can use to fabricate with as well as take to sell on ebay.

Is anyone interested in some tail light eyelids? I would do headlight eyelids but I only have one headlight.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have no "ideas" that I could put into a drawing and my artistic talent leaves much to be desired.

Try not to keep the navigation scrren mount too close to the driver, as in certain cases (at least with me), I often get passengers to input stuff into Navi for me.

And yeah, the less this thing obstructs the windshield, the better.

EDIT: At one point I was thinking that the area between our "split level" dash design, as in below the radio and above the ashtray would be a semi cool placew to put a navi screen. I guess you'd have to fabricate a piece that would kinda make the whole split level dash into a waterfall one, and you'd have to relocate the power plug, and coin holder, but you'd do away with obstructing the windshield.

Last but not least, I think an "ultimate" solution would be to get rid of the stock radio etc. and fabricate something into which the 04TL navi displlay and ELS system can be integrated! ahh, one can dream...
Old 04-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Instructor

What kind of integration would be involved as far as electronics for a 04' TL navi unit? I think it would probably require a whole pile of different parts (gps, antenna, dynamics processor). I already have the mold for the top part of the dash so I am going to see what I can do with that, then I will try one down below, and then I can add a mount for something like an Ipod or XM controller...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Instructor

No input? I have been busy fitting a 2hp grizzly dust collector into my apartment for the last few days, my girl is real happy about that! It is about 1/6 of my workshop but I am dust free! Anyhow... I will try to finish up what was described to the best of my ability (screen on the upper portion of dash), then I am going to tackle the lower dash tv idea.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by smonster0516
No input? I have been busy fitting a 2hp grizzly dust collector into my apartment for the last few days, my girl is real happy about that! It is about 1/6 of my workshop but I am dust free! Anyhow... I will try to finish up what was described to the best of my ability (screen on the upper portion of dash), then I am going to tackle the lower dash tv idea.
awesome man - can't wait to see what you've got in store for us. Don't forget that whatever mount you make should be relatively easy to integrate onto the dash - i.e. I'd personally be wary of having to hack a huge hole in the dash or something for example, in order to mount the thing. Obviously its not easy to give it an OEM look with easy fitment, but then who said you job was easy!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Instructor

I am trying to make it so that whatever I build will require no modification at all, this will however sacrafice some of the integration unfortunatly.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Originally Posted by smonster0516
I am trying to make it so that whatever I build will require no modification at all, this will however sacrafice some of the integration unfortunatly.
I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting pics of the LCD Dash mount. I think it would be best if it were designed to hang over the clock/hazzard/first vent as the first two can EASILY be re-located or just not used, and then the wires could be run from the holes where they were into the unit. I am currnetly looking at a 7" Lilliput USB monitor, if that will fit in your enclosure, that would be GREAT. Let me know when you have it done and show pics, and I will have you make me one RIGHT away!!
Old 04-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by desired_speeds
They had memory seats, and telescopic tilt steering wheel that was wired with the memory seat function. It would retract when you turned the car off, and when you turned the car on, it wouldcome out to your setting according to you memory seat.
kinda makes you wonder why they skimped on those features in the 1G TLs
Old 04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Instructor

Ahhh..... sorry yall, my goddamn computer messed up real good and I have been trying to salvage the old one onto a new one. Networking sucks, the goddamn computers just won't talk to each other. So anyways that has absorbed all of my time, but I am back in the lab today! I will be posting asap with some pics....

Thanks for the descriptive detail cornflake, I also am thinking that is the most functional location.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

And if it's shaped to match on a smaller scale, the curve of the top of the gauge pod, that would be perfect!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
kinda makes you wonder why they skimped on those features in the 1G TLs
Two reasons:

To keep the price down

At the time, it would make the RL pointless if the TL at $8,000 less had the same features

Keep in mind though, the 1st gen 3.2 TL had about as many features (and a nicer interior) than a Legend LS sedan for THOUSANDS less.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Two reasons:

To keep the price down

At the time, it would make the RL pointless if the TL at $8,000 less had the same features

Keep in mind though, the 1st gen 3.2 TL had about as many features (and a nicer interior) than a Legend LS sedan for THOUSANDS less.
are the legend and our 3.2 1G's mechanically identical down to a T, or have our platoforms been strengthened and reworked (in the 1G tl)?

I have to give the 2G legend coupe props though. That has to have been the best all round car on sale for the 90's. I mean seriously, Mem. seats, heated seats, power steerig column, TCS, ABS, 6 SPEED TRANNY!!!, 230hp, Bose stereo, a respectable 26mpg on the freeway. I mean this thing had every feature you could want under the sun, honda reliability, and BAD ASS styling. I was even readin something the other day about it have "self-closing" doors - when you pulled the doors close, it would sorta "assist" in shutting them. I wish someone had a video of this - sounds pretty neat.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Let's not forget one MAJOR thing...... The Legend replaceent is actually the RL, NOT the TL, the TL is actually the replacement for the Vigor. And that's why it originally came with a 2.5L I5 engine, and the RL had a V6. Acura was kind enough to give us an OBDII UPDATED version of the Legend V6 in the TL, but this was mainly to satisfy the critics who thought that a car at that level should have a V6. It was always beleived that Acura was going to bring a V8 to the RL ( we all know a Honda V8, ESP in Acura form would be smooooooth as silk!) But in Honda Corp's infinite wisdom, they thought a V6 would do the job, and that brings us to the current RL, with 300 HP V6. ( Although I personally still feel at that level for that price a 4.0-4.4L V8 would have been more appropriate and made the car THAT much better).....
Old 04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

are the legend and our 3.2 1G's mechanically identical down to a T, or have our platoforms been strengthened and reworked (in the 1G tl)?

I have to give the 2G legend coupe props though. That has to have been the best all round car on sale for the 90's. I mean seriously, Mem. seats, heated seats, power steerig column, TCS, ABS, 6 SPEED TRANNY!!!, 230hp, Bose stereo, a respectable 26mpg on the freeway. I mean this thing had every feature you could want under the sun, honda reliability, and BAD ASS styling. I was even readin something the other day about it have "self-closing" doors - when you pulled the doors close, it would sorta "assist" in shutting them. I wish someone had a video of this - sounds pretty neat.
And as for the Legend Coupe of late, that is STILL one of my FAVOURITE cars on the road. BEAUTIFUL to look at, with the Type II and a 6 spd, a JOY to drive, just the right amount of power and for those who watch the Legend forum....with DV8's help, a MEAN ass street machine, that's as luxurious and good looking STILL as anything on the road. ;-)
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Come to think of it, I still would LOVE to see a 1st gen TL chopped a bit, with TWO doors, the Legend 6 spd and a 3.5 block with Legend Type II heads....DAMN, I wish I could win the lottery and build my dream car!!! Would look SIIIIIIICK!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should I fabricate for the 1st Gens?