Well guys, looks like the end of the road... (Go90go's bad break thread)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:50 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Well guys, looks like the end of the road... (Go90go's bad break thread)

I blew a slit about 36cm long in my radiator about an hour ago... First my temp was going up and down by itself, and when I tried to get it to a friend's house, I heard, and felt, a loud pop and I had coolant splatter all over the driver side windscreen. This might be the last straw...I'm getting tired of the repairs that I have had to do for her, and the repairs I have not yet done. I need new wheel bearings, valve seals, head gasket for safe measure, all four shocks, and paint. Now I need a new radiator on top of those things. Depending on what you guys have to say, I might be parting out my car so someone else can enjoy all the love and effort I have put into it. My H3C HIDs are literally two days old and were turned on for a combined 45 minutes, in the rear, my neon foot lighting and rear drink table with JDM cigarettes (hehe) and Galahad ashtray are 5 days old and 1 week old, respectively. Dome speakers working for about two weeks... Not to mention my OEM strut bar is supposed to arrive in 5 hours... Damn it, thinking about it makes me want to cry... I have to tool around in my Civic and that makes me want to cry as well... I want to say that I've put in too much to back out, but that's almost never the case with any car. Here's a pic taken just earlier, during the afternoon. Who would've known that later in the night, she'd be in distress?

Help...
Old 03-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
sorry to hear that bro... maybe u can just get another one??? if you do decide to part out, im sure many members on here can use a few items... ill take ur clear bumpers...
Old 03-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Htown slab rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
damn that sucks bad, i hope you can fix it, it'll be less than buying a new car if u feel where i'm coming from but if you do decide to part out i'll need a couple of things, clear bumper lights, grill and maybe some other things once you list your parts, but honestly the best way to go is to get a new radiator and check maybe its your thermostat
Old 03-24-2007, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear about the the little issues you have with the TL.
If you decide to part, I hope you would stay in the family.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

i had that same thing happen to me and paid 400 bucks for a new radiator.. I remember the smell smelt like radiator fluid, which spells like celery to me lol It sucks and i know how you feel. My car is awful cosmetic wise but the engine is still good and powerful.

I want to see your table! I was thinking of getting one but wasn't sure if it'll flow with the car. Do you have crystals on it too? If not, ill buy cheap fake ones and glue them on the table like the garsons lol
Old 03-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Htown slab rider

i've never seen tables in anyother cars besides jags and other real highend vehicles, u mean like the tables on the plane right that fold out from the seat?
Old 03-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
damn . .sorry to hear that, everybody goin away..damn just let us know when u goin to part i may need many things from the car
Old 03-24-2007, 07:15 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

Originally Posted by KrayzieDxC
damn . .sorry to hear that, everybody goin away..damn just let us know when u goin to part i may need many things from the car

i concur
Old 03-24-2007, 08:18 PM
大日本帝国

We'll see how much it costs to fix... I'm siting in my 06 Civic and let me tell you, the steering might be sharper than the TL, but this thing is SLOW... I got cut off by cars that I would have no problem overtaking in the TL (Passats, E46 330s, etc.), but in this, a blip of their throttle leaves me in the dust, hehe. The drink table is from Indeed since the Bellezza, Galahad, and Garson/D.A.D. colour schemes clash with the rest of the car. I need an armrest to finish it off, though. It's mounted where the armrest would bolt on. I have the Galahad rearview and medallion, though. Oh, and to add insult to injury, my strut bar arrived, saran-wrapped to a piece of cardboard cut roughly in the shape of the bar. FedEx also just threw it over my gate, scratching two of the upper bolt holes a bit.

On another note, I'm really close to picking up a 14 Aristo... I'd still keep the TL, but the Aristo would be my daily... Mainly because the Aristo doesn't have leather seats and for longer road trips, I'd prefer the comfort of leather.

~Cheers~

P.S. I'm going to put up a list of parts that would be up for sale if I decide to part it out when I get to a computer as my fingers are geting tired of typing on my phone.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Well thats not very good news. Youve been a great member here and given us lots of information and tips of ALL kinds. Maybe you should reconsider and try and weather this storm.
Or you could sell me youre entire car and know thats its going to a caring loving home where it will be loved by all who drive and appreciate its virtues..
Seriously: thanks for your help with that little duel I had with the 2.5. Hope you make it back.
Sell me your car!! lol
Old 03-25-2007, 01:33 AM
大日本帝国

Alt, what you said means alot! I'm glad that I've been able to help and contribute to the community. As promised, a listing of what might be available. Oh, and I've found a radiator for $186... Good price?

Here's the list:

-JDM Honda Inspire Grill
-OEM Honda Legend strut bar
-USDM headlights
-Clear Bumpers
-USDM signal lights (aka Saber signals)
-4 Prelude Rims, 2 with Kumho Ecsta ASX, 2 with Federals all with centre caps
-Weapon-R Secret Weapon Intake with Civic intake for cold-air
-Custom welded MagnaFlow high-flow cat with o2 bung (OBDII/CARB legal), 2.25" cat-back into MagnaFlow muffler. Has an OEM looking oval tip with round outlet.
-JDM Honda Inspire Emblem
-JDM Honda Emblem
-JDM Honda Inspire Taillights
-USDM Tails (aka Saber tails)

I'm leaving some stuff out like pulleys but they are a pain to remove. I really am thinking about staying in the game after listing the things I've put on... Arg. Decisions, decisions...

~Cheers~
Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Instructor

2 years ago my radiator blew up too..
i replaced it with a 180$ radiator, that was my first diy.. and i had no manual.. that was not really fun..
still drives.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Just a user

Sorry to hear about your ride, but I just thought I would drop you this link, $144.28, with free shipping.......... If you do part it out let me know....

http://www.radiatorbarn.com/s7.asp?a...gine_size=3.2L
Old 03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
大日本帝国

Now that radiator is $139.28 with free p/p. There's a sale, hehe. I'm going to look into an all aluminum radiator, maybe mod one from another car to fit...

~Cheers~
Old 03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Real sorry to hear that! Listen give JB Weld a try before you go ahead with a new radiator if u don't wanna spend the money right now. And maybe later on get a new radiator. They got a product called PERM-O-SEAL Part No. DS114 just for Radiator hole/crack repair. I have successfully repaired radiator of an 92' Accord. Never tried a crack as big as yours but it's worth a try.

http://jbweld.net/products/index.php
Old 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
大日本帝国

Thanks Bat, but I think I want to find what caused the pressure to spike like that first, then worry about replacing the radiator. I still want to change my head gasket, but it's kinda hard to do that by yourself, hehe. And I've pretty much decided to keep my car! This is what I have now passed over:

There still is a chance that I'll buy it, but most likely not...

~Cheers~
Old 03-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Htown slab rider

I aint never seen that before in my life, looks like a GS300 lexus...ha
Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Cruisin'

It is a gs300, but in japan they are called Aristo's.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Htown slab rider

oh....nice
Old 03-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced

while individual case may vary most likely reasons for the radiator to bust is insufficient flow caused by a full/partial block in the cooling system. The other reason is weathering over time. I highly recommend you do a radiator flush using a good product with your new radiator before you do a fill to clear up any blocks in the engine .
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Htown slab rider

whered u get the new dome speakers from.....if i may ask when configuring a new head-unit are those refered to as the center speakers or not? never could understand that
Old 03-26-2007, 06:05 PM
大日本帝国

Dome speakers are built-in, it's only that you have to cut the stock harness, splice in resistors, and tap the front speaker wires to get them to work with any aftermarket deck. Only the stock deck had a separate plug hole for it. I think that the thermostat was stuck closed, not allowing the coolant to flow through the lower hose. Then to actually cause pressure build-up, the HG might have blocked off one of the ports... Who knows? We'll see how she runs when I remove the TS and temporarily seal the crack. I've heard cracking an egg on the radiator works for a little while, and the cost is next to nothing, , haha.

~Cheers~
Old 03-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Acura Vet

I hate to hear that Art. I hope that you stay in the game, too. There are too many members falling out of the 1st Gen Brotherhood. I wish that I even had a choice in the matter of my car because I can't even bring myself to change my avatar yet.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

wow that sucks bad, you just told me your headgasket is getting worse.... but anyways, I hope you fix her up, we need to rep G1 TLs in the Bay Area!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 AM
大日本帝国

Ken, sorry I didn't call you back. I haven't had a chance.

~Cheers~
Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Go90go
Ken, sorry I didn't call you back. I haven't had a chance.

~Cheers~
oh yea, its nothing too important
Old 03-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Htown slab rider

Go90go whats your take on the whole thing, i hope you do fix it up man and just have 2 cars, i've always loved the GS series myself but never fortunate to get one with "my milage" so had to stick with the LS series, but the aristo is similar to the gs right becasue its the same body structure, show us some interior pix if you can...
Old 03-28-2007, 05:07 PM
大日本帝国

I have two cars, and that's the problem. If I get the Aristo, then I'll have to park one of my cars on the street. That's how my TL was stolen in the first place. Now, after that incident, all things security have been upgraded but that won't stop haters from throwing something at it, you know what I mean? It was even worse when I had 4 cars since it wasn't just parking it outside, it was looking for a space. Anyhow, here's some interior shots of the Aristo:

And yes, they're cloth seats not leather, which kinda sucks but I might have them upholstered if I've got the money. One of my Civics cost me $2000 to do that...

~Cheers~
Old 03-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Instructor

....I thought you lived in Cali, Didn't you take a pic with another members car...?
Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 AM
大日本帝国

I do live in Cali. Anyhow, it'd been decided. The Inspire no more... I just blew the motor tonight. I had fixed the radiator, and I took it out to take some photos (which will be posted BTW), and it started to develop a slight case of rod knock. A little while later, full blown rod knock and smoke that stung horribly. It felt like my lungs were burning. A friend pulled out his camera and now has me on video with a smoking motor... I tried, I really, really tried...

~Cheers~
Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 AM
Burning Brakes

sorry to hear that...at least you tried to save it.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:42 AM
大日本帝国

Thanks, m8. I really hate to say it but it's going to be parted out soon. At least, if the total cost of bringing that motor back (highly unlikely) or swapping it is feasible, I'll keep it but to outlook is bleak...

~Cheers~
Old 03-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Instructor

I was askin because that car is RHD. And I had never seen a gs with cloth seats.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Acura Vet

Oh man Art, that is terrible. Especially after you had anguished about keeping it and fixing it. At least you didn't spend a WHOLE lot more money in it before the engine blew. I am glad that you weren't harmed by that smoke. That stuff is nasty and can have some serious effects on you if you breathe in too much of it.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Htown slab rider

DAMN i'm a lexus fan, looks like a damn lexus to me, but anyways man its sad to hear that your motor gave out, when my radiator blew up(which reminds me i gotta go blow out all the windows of the bastard who was supposed to fix my car and charged me 400 to change my plugs and coil pack....i dont even know what that is) but when i took it to my family mechanic(where everyone in my family takes thier cars) he saw motor as the cause, but yeah man, i'm willing to buy clear bumper lights, and prolly any other mod thats pretty cool, i'm trynna DIY a carputer module facing it with a positive attitude but not quite sure i can hook it up to my music without re-wiring, i'ma holla at my bro tho he knows all that stuff, sorry to hear your car died man, you can make your money parting it outbecause i know alot of people need fenders, hoods, stock rims, interior pieces and windshields and stuff, i hope you can get all that to sell and make part of your money back, i hope you didnt buy a new radiator because thats just money wasted....i wish you all the best with your aristo, i like it, throw you some deep dish 20's or 22's and you are half way done fixing her up...lol
Old 03-30-2007, 12:05 AM
大日本帝国

So I'm pretty much done stripping the car... Took about 30 minutes to get the wood trim pieces, centre console, speakers, door panels, amps, sub, intake, HIDs, tails, grounding kit, deck+trim, and HVAC controls out. Still have to take off one side's rain guard... I left in the headlights because I didn't have space to remove the front bumper because I pushed the car too far into the garage... It hurt real bad as I was taking those bolts off...

~Cheers~

P.S. Get ready to look for posts in the FS section and on eBay, !
Old 03-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Burning Brakes

so what are you going to do with the actual car now? junkyard?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:35 AM
大日本帝国

Most likely after all the body panels are sold. Anyhow, here's one of the pics from earlier last night. Slightly cropped and colour-balanced, and please forgive the slight blur. It was an older, regular DigiCam, and my m8 taking the photo was cold, haha.

~Cheers~
Old 03-30-2007, 02:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

do you have your driver side interior door handle? Mine is worn and I need it if its in good condition. But damn that sucks ass about your car, just saw it recently and it drove so nice. btw, what about your custom pully?
Old 03-30-2007, 06:04 AM
Htown slab rider

How much do you want for your hood?,left fender?clear bumper lights and bumper with the reinforcement? yours is a 3.2 right

Quick Reply: Well guys, looks like the end of the road... (Go90go's bad break thread)