Weird Smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 04:43 PM

Cool Weird Smell

Just joined and ready to get my feet wet ! Glad to know that this forum is here.

I got a 97 3.2 about 3 mths ago. Happy with the car overall. It is in mint condition.

A couple of things I was wondering if anyone else has encountered:

1) After pulling off the highway and coming to a stop, I notice a weird smell. Doesn't smell like oil burning. I am thinking that it could be either tranny fluid or the catalytic converter. Swell is a bit sweet. I have checked for leaks in the engine compartment and underneath the car after leaving it parked for extended periods- bone dry !!! Any ideas/suggestions ??

2) On the highway when I am cruising at a consistent speed and then accelerate smoothly the tranny seems to hesitate a bit. I once had an pontiac 6000 with overdrive that used to feel like that when it downshifted.
Anyway, ideas/suggestions ??

3) Any way to extend the range on the keyless entry without installing an aftermarket alarm ?
Old 09-19-2001, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weird Smell

hey hey!!
nice to see a fellow 1st genner from toronto... there ain't many of us...
welcome to the board

about that weird smell... it might be from the air conditioner.. but again i'm not sure what you're talking about

i don't notice a hesitation while downshifting on highway speeds.. but then again maybe i'm so used to it that it feels like nothing... i know when i punch it on the highway you can really feel it downshift

as for increasing the range... umm.. my friend taught me this "trick" .. put the keyless sensor right up against your adam's apple and press... presto.. longer range

hope that helped

Originally posted by Canadian Flav
Just joined and ready to get my feet wet ! Glad to know that this forum is here.

I got a 97 3.2 about 3 mths ago. Happy with the car overall. It is in mint condition.

1) After pulling off the highway and coming to a stop, I notice a weird smell. Doesn't smell like oil burning. I am thinking that it could be either tranny fluid or the catalytic converter. Swell is a bit sweet. I have checked for leaks in the engine compartment and underneath the car after leaving it parked for extended periods- bone dry !!! Any ideas/suggestions ??

2) On the highway when I am cruising at a consistent speed and then accelerate smoothly the tranny seems to hesitate a bit. I once had an pontiac 6000 with overdrive that used to feel like that when it downshifted.
Anyway, ideas/suggestions ??

3) Any way to extend the range on the keyless entry without installing an aftermarket alarm ?
Old 09-19-2001, 04:51 PM
Advanced

Talking

1. If it smells sweet - its probably coolant, or pop tart underneath the seat.

2. Obviously shouldn't happen - check fluid levels, if its OK, you may want to have the tranny serviced with new fluid and filter. I've never heard of anyone having tranny problems with 1st gens.

3. Hold your arm way out, should add a couple of feet. - sorry - best I could do.

good luck
Old 09-19-2001, 06:42 PM
Instructor

I thought that auto trans fluid smells sweet when it burns. Had a car that leaked it before. Maybe there is no dripping because it is only a small ammount burning off? Anyway, I would get it checked out before it gets worse.

Holding the remote under your jaw does work. It always made me think I was frying my brain...

--Teflon
Old 11-12-2001, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Performance without catalytic converter?

Has anyone removed their catalytic converter. If so, was there any performance improvement and also was the exhaust noise considerably louder?
Old 11-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Instructor

Re: Weird Smell

Originally posted by Canadian Flav

Hey welcome to the board. I am fairyl new myself. I bought my 97 TL about a mont ago. How much did you get yours for and where?