Too fast and he's furious

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Too fast and he's furious

So I went out today to get the leaks in the tires patched on my '94 Lexus SC300 and my boyfriend decided to tag along. (By the way, for those of you who were interested, the car is coming along and I'm in love with it. So far, I've gotten the exhaust fixed, which may have fixed the oil burning smell as well, also got the front lower control arms replaced, passed inspection, removed the window tint, scrubbed the interior clean, fixed the transponder in the key, though keyless entry still doesn't work, and fixed the cigarette lighter socket.)

Anyway, we got the tires fixed and then decided to go out to eat for dinner. We could have driven through the middle of town to get to the restaurant, but I decided to take the 50 MPH road that bypasses it because it would be more fun. We turned onto that road with a newer sedan behind us. I didn't get a good look at the emblem, but I think it might have been a Nissan. I was going an appropriate speed for that road, but apparently not good enough for the Nissan because it tried to pass me on the right. I hate it when people do that and I normally keep to the right lane so if people want to pass, they can do it the correct way in the left lane, however, the way this particular intersection worked, cars turning left onto the road ended up entering in the left lane and cars turning right onto it merged in the right lane. We had turned left and entered in the left lane. I knew the lanes would merge up ahead and maybe the Nissan did too, because that's when it tried to pass on the right (I know it was trying to do that because it started out behind us in the left lane). I saw it coming and floored it. Now, my dad says my mom's 2008 Camry could smoke my '94 Lexus, but it had enough pep to get that Nissan to back off. After that was settled, we resumed driving at an appropriate speed.

Well, my boyfriend was pissed! Yeah, okay, there were snowflakes in the air, but they weren't even sticking to the road yet. Plus, I knew the road, we didn't have any close calls, and everything was just fine. Ya gotta live a little, right? It's not like we had children in the back seat, I mean come on. I thought usually women get all flustered about men doing stuff like this, but it is the complete opposite with us. He was so mad, he wanted to go straight home and skip eating out, but he made me go to Wal-mart and buy new windshield wipers because mine are terrible (I don't even know how they passed inspection because when you use them, they make the windows worse), and then we went home. I'm cooking dinner late tonight so maybe he will think twice before cancelling dinner plans over something so stupid.

Am I in the wrong here? When you own a nice car like a Lexus or an Acura, you should take advantage of that when necessary, right?
Old 03-14-2016, 10:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Do what you gotta do, as long as you stay safe and don't put others in danger. Nice read!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:08 AM
Instructor

I did not feel endangered in the least bit (meanwhile, boyfriend was hanging on to the ceiling handle for dear life, lol - he said I was doing 70, but ya can't really see what the dial says from the passenger seat). I did briefly forget that the car is RWD, but like I said, the snowflakes weren't even sticking yet.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
glad to hear the SC is working out for you... have you sold the TL yet?
Old 03-16-2016, 02:44 AM
Instructor

Nope, I still have the TL. Up until the other day, I had been using it to pump up the SC's tires, lol. I was thinking about junking it, though I hate to do that to such a lovely car. My uncle seemed to think someone might buy it and fix its problems. That would be awesome, but I have no idea what it is worth in the condition it's in.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Nice boyfriend you have there. lol
Old 04-15-2016, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
Michelle you're awesome I want to be your boyfriend