tire Chains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tire Chains?

Well, im heading up to Lake Tahoe during Thankgiving holiday and there may be a chance for snow, so I stopped by my local kragen today and picked up some tire chains for my 96 3.2TL. I came home and jacked the car up to test fit them. I realized how little wheel gap the TL had and I'm afraid that if I go over a few bumps with the chains on the car, the chains would rub and break something or the chains would break eventually. Has anybody ever used tire chains on their TL? If so, did you have any problems with it? and how does the TL drive in snow? Any tips would be helpful! thanks!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bump!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chains....be careful!!

I'm up here in Portland and have used them on my 98 tl 3.2. The clearance is tight but doable with the right chains, but cables are better.

The most important advice I can give is to make sure they are seated correctly on the inside wheel well and that you use the bungy cord to tighten / pull in the slack. If that is not super tight, the cables will rub and might catch. I actually use 2 bungies for each wheel just in case one breaks.

Another tip...I found jacking the car to install the chains is key but if you don't want to pull the jack then at least have a small block of wood and drive your wheel on top of the wood which will give you easy sliding back and forth of the chain.

the tl is excellent in snow....I've had no problems.

good luck --
Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 AM
'97 2.5TL Premium

I just used my chains today. Was looking to buy cables, but les schwab over here didn't carry any. I"m over here in portland also dl2000. I went up to Mt. Hood and had trouble in the parking lot without the chains on. I guess I was slightly on an incline. So I whipped out the chains and installed it. Took me awhile to get the chains on, but it wasn't bad, didn't need to jack the car up or anything. Once I got the chains on, driving on ice was a breeze. Taking them off was another story....
Old 12-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Dear snowbound friends,

What are these chains you guys are talking about? Pics of said chain?

Sincerely,
Texan TL'er
Old 12-11-2006, 12:31 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Imagine a cargo net-looking like thing that is made of steel links wrapped around your tyres. It provides traction in snow and ice, but you can't drive too fast with them, and they make a bit of noise. I personally prefer GoClaws, and another brand that had a similar idea. Here's a pic of said GoClaws:

~Cheers~
Old 12-11-2006, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Go90go
Imagine a cargo net-looking like thing that is made of steel links wrapped around your tyres. It provides traction in snow and ice, but you can't drive too fast with them, and they make a bit of noise. I personally prefer GoClaws, and another brand that had a similar idea. Here's a pic of said GoClaws:

~Cheers~
those are nice but expensive. Ive been back from Tahoe for a while already. I took some pix of the TL while I was there, you can check them out in the gallery. I didn't need to drive in snow when I was up there, it only snowed a tiny bit one night and it melted by morning. i got a few more rock chips up there and got salt all over the car, but it was taken care of when i got back.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vanz
I just used my chains today. Was looking to buy cables, but les schwab over here didn't carry any. I"m over here in portland also dl2000. I went up to Mt. Hood and had trouble in the parking lot without the chains on. I guess I was slightly on an incline. So I whipped out the chains and installed it. Took me awhile to get the chains on, but it wasn't bad, didn't need to jack the car up or anything. Once I got the chains on, driving on ice was a breeze. Taking them off was another story....
Yeah, I like to jack up the car to take them off cause once you drive on them for awhile it gets tight on the links. Kind of a pain but I carry a small hydraulic jack with me.

I would rather use chains then cables cause they last longer. I had cables on my truck and it broke and scratched up the sides. I just think the chains does not too much room for clearance. After every trip, I look over the cables to make sure the links are okay, if their suspect, I'll replace the links.

Where are you in P-town? I'm in SE, woodstock area.

See you around,
Old 12-11-2006, 10:47 PM
'97 2.5TL Premium

Originally Posted by dl2000
Yeah, I like to jack up the car to take them off cause once you drive on them for awhile it gets tight on the links. Kind of a pain but I carry a small hydraulic jack with me.

I would rather use chains then cables cause they last longer. I had cables on my truck and it broke and scratched up the sides. I just think the chains does not too much room for clearance. After every trip, I look over the cables to make sure the links are okay, if their suspect, I'll replace the links.

Where are you in P-town? I'm in SE, woodstock area.

See you around,
I'm over in Beaverton. Car is bone stock. I see a lot of slightly modified TLs here, but I don't think they go on this site. Ken1997TL, the mod, is also from around here, but down south, salem, eugene? Not sure. Got anything special on your car so I can differentiate yours from the others?

Back on topic...driving on ice is no fun. I heard of stories where you got no control...and playing bumper cars is not that uncommon up here in the icelands.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by vanz
I'm over in Beaverton. Car is bone stock. I see a lot of slightly modified TLs here, but I don't think they go on this site. Ken1997TL, the mod, is also from around here, but down south, salem, eugene? Not sure. Got anything special on your car so I can differentiate yours from the others?

Back on topic...driving on ice is no fun. I heard of stories where you got no control...and playing bumper cars is not that uncommon up here in the icelands.

My car is also bone stock.....just the way I like it. I see some crazy mods which is nice but I think having an original has its beauty. Also stock attrack less thieves.

There was a couple of times when I almost fishtailed but I don't normally drive faster than 30 with chains and keep fair distance....you know Oregonians drive super slow.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I'm in Lake Oswego these days.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

I'm in Lake Oswego these days.
Hey Ken, I work at the AAA office in L.O. on Kruse Way. See you around... :