Suggestions on the midrange speakers?

Old 02-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Suggestions on the midrange speakers?

Ok, we know the overhead midranges work at 4 ohms. I'd like to have them working properly with my headunit. So should I splice and use resistors? Anyone else tried this?

We've all talked about it before Talk is cheap
Old 02-27-2007, 04:56 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Ken, the overheads are at 8-Ohms. I've bought inline resistors but have yet to install them. It's been raining like a b*tch over here, and we've been getting hailed on as well. I threw the bag containing the resistors into my garage so I've got to look for them, but I'll let you know the part numbers, etc. ASAP. I'm planning on installing them when it stops raining tomorrow.

~Cheers~

P.S. Nothing like Enka in surround sound, perfect to get you depressed if you understand the lyrics, .
Old 02-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
They're 8 ohms? Good to know!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what the difference between the 4 and 8 dome ceiling tweeters i was thinking replace mine?
Old 02-28-2007, 04:47 PM
大日本帝国

The Ohm rating is a measure of resistance. Anyhow, the domes aren't tweeters, they're mid-ranges, and they are 1.5" in diameter. Good luck finding replacements, hehe. If you feed a 4-Ohm signal into an 8-Ohm speaker, it will play WAY too loudly and you risk blowing the speakers. Imagine doubling the gain on an amplifier and expecting to hear great sound... Not going to happen.

~Cheers~

P.S. It's stopped raining so I should have the overheads wired in by tonight or tomorrow, .
Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 PM
大日本帝国

So they're in and sounding BEAUTIFUL! Only downside... I got lazy to install the resistors as I just wanted to see if the speakers worked, so now they kinda over-power the other speakers. I had thought I had gone deaf in my left ear, hehe. Resistors going in tomorrow, hopefully.

~Cheers~
Old 03-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Go90go
So they're in and sounding BEAUTIFUL! Only downside... I got lazy to install the resistors as I just wanted to see if the speakers worked, so now they kinda over-power the other speakers. I had thought I had gone deaf in my left ear, hehe. Resistors going in tomorrow, hopefully.

~Cheers~
what kind of set up do you have Go90go? Specifically what brand and sizes are you using for the mids, tweets, and the 6.5s in the doors and rear deck? I love my stock deck, but the front door speakers are on their way out, and I'm debating between getting new stock ones or overhauling the whole sound system.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:09 PM
大日本帝国

Well, I'm still too lazy/busy to install the resistors since I had to go see a lawyer with a buddy of mine. I had planned on later this afternoon, but my bro's truck suspension just broke on him, so I have to drive him around town. ATM, my system comprises of stock tweets in the factory location, obviously stock dome speakers, Pioneer 4-way mids+highs up front, stock Pioneer full-range 6x9s in the rear, a single Rockford Fosgate Punch in the trunk. All these are fed by a Sharp 904SH through a DEi deck through an Alpine 300w amp for the mids+highs and a Jensen (shitty, I know) 300w amp for the sub.

I was surprised that the Jensen amp worked pretty well, but it doesn't really matter as I'm only using it to power the sub.

If you're able to find good quality speakers in 1.5", I can guarantee you that most people here on the boards will buy them from you as that is our dome speaker size.

~Cheers~
Old 03-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned

if you guys need the replacement speakers for the overhead we carry a great set of ALPINE 120 watts 1.5 (surface or Flush Mount) that fit our vehicles perfectly the model number is sps 1005 they retail for 99.95 online wesell them from or warehouse for noly 79.95 a pair!
i even put these in my tl and they sound noticeably better than the factory speakers just like any other time you replace factory speakers!
Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
edit by moderator Ron A: Quote removed because user has been banned for spamming the forums with sales items when he is not a vendor and never will be. Just wanted you to know you will not be getting a reply from him.

so would these work well in place of the stock midrange speakers in a 1G TL - the one's located near the front overhead light.

What is the resistance rating of these speakers.

If these speakers will indeed work, maybe we should consider organzing a group buy.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
大日本帝国

^ If these are 4-Ohms, then I have no issue in buying since I'm really lazy to redo the wiring and install the resistors. Only thing is that the factory mids are a bit hard to take out. They're kinda glued (it seems) to the frame.

~Cheers~
Old 03-02-2007, 05:20 PM
大日本帝国

@Ron, I said I'd buy them, but I never said I'd buy them from him, hehe . Good call.

~Cheers~
Old 01-30-2018, 01:45 AM
4th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by Go90go

~Cheers~
This is as good a place as any to give you giant thanks. Installing an amp with bluetooth cleanly into the front (yup, under the glove box) of my 97 3.2TL could not have been done without all the threads where you explain about the 8 ohm resistors. It works brilliantly, and I swapped the left and right domes too as you suggested. I couldn't be happier.

It was a ridiculous custom job, and your handle is written all over my notes, which are several pages because I had to figure out the schematic from scratch. See my post about that. I'm just an amateur with a soldering iron, a TL, an amp and the internet, and the days have been short and wet in this Canadian winter, so installing that amp took me a few months and multiple sessions. Resistors are almost impossible to find in stores these days, and they all seem to be around 0.5 watt, so for Christmas I ordered myself a couple online. (I have spare pair if anyone wants them).

If you happen to read this @Go90go, do you remember what wattage of resistors you used? I think I went with 5 watts. My amp is 100W per channel so I thought I'd need a pair of 100W rated resistors, but I soon realized that can't be how it works. A friend asked me if I was building a heater. I think I went with 5W, I can check. They're pretty big.

Also, I noticed someone posted on these threads an image that shows "4 ohm" stamped into the metal frame of the dome speakers, so maybe they're not 8 ohm as you've been saying. Even if so, I don't disagree with installing those resistors, that dome light is awfully close to my head and the speakers needed toning down. It crossed my mind that the designers of the stock Acura head might have added a millisecond delay to that extra circuit, to compensate for the distance; not just for impedance reasons.