Steamy smoke and oil seepage

Old 12-27-2004, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steamy smoke and oil seepage

Greetings friends. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I've got several questions regarding my motor:

1) Is there a natural amount of seepage that occurs around the bolt of the oil pan? I ask because I've noticed just a bit of oil collecting on the underneath exterior surface right near this bolt. I'm afraid to tighten itbecause I don't want to strip it. This is not a big deal, though, because I've got to change the oil this week anyway.

2) My exhaust seems to be steamier this winter than normal. Maybe I just haven't noticed it before or maybe it's just colder here than normal. I did notice that I have a bit more radiator fluid in the resevoir than normal, is the white smoke just that extra being burnt off? It doesn't smell or anything so maybe I'm just paranoid.

Does anyone else's muffler continue to steam slightly immediately after the car has been turned off?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Hurricane Game

lemme give these a try:

1. the bolt really should be tight, and no oil should be leaking. they don't make them to leak any amount, so any that is leaking should not be. i would say either try to change the bolt or make sure that if the bolt has a small gasket on it, that it is there and that it's not ripped. i'm not sure if these do or not since i have to change mine on this car yet.

2. if by exhaust you just mean the amount of steam coming when you accelerate, i would say that is due to the cold. i'm not sure how cold it's been in NC, but in Iowa it's been below zero in the morning when i have to leave for work (booo!). the more fluid in the radiator COULD be caused by the engine not needing it due to the colder weather and colder air on the system. i'm not entirely sure, but that could be the reason. since the radiator fluid doesn't ever enter the combustion part of the engine, there would be no way it could burn it via exhaust. now if you have a leak inside the engine bay, then there could be some burning on the exhaust manifold or something, but that's under the hood, not by the exhaust pipe behind the car. and your car will steam a bit if it's run for awhile on a cold day. since the pipe is hot and air is cold, a bit of steam is normal.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Yeah, steam is normal in cold weather.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as far as question 1 - i had a similar problem on my accord the first time i did my oil change on it. Turned out that i forgot to change the little gasket thing. honda reccomends u change these at every oil change. they get warped over time.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Hurricane Game

another thing is to make sure that the nut is put on straight and not at some weird angle. it would not sit flat against the pan and that can cause a small drip as well.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:25 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by WBroylesH
Greetings friends. I hope everyone had a great Christmas.
It doesn't smell or anything so maybe I'm just paranoid.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by dubcnea
lemme give these a try:

1. the bolt really should be tight, and no oil should be leaking. they don't make them to leak any amount, so any that is leaking should not be. i would say either try to change the bolt or make sure that if the bolt has a small gasket on it, that it is there and that it's not ripped. i'm not sure if these do or not since i have to change mine on this car yet.

2. if by exhaust you just mean the amount of steam coming when you accelerate, i would say that is due to the cold. i'm not sure how cold it's been in NC, but in Iowa it's been below zero in the morning when i have to leave for work (booo!). the more fluid in the radiator COULD be caused by the engine not needing it due to the colder weather and colder air on the system. i'm not entirely sure, but that could be the reason. since the radiator fluid doesn't ever enter the combustion part of the engine, there would be no way it could burn it via exhaust. now if you have a leak inside the engine bay, then there could be some burning on the exhaust manifold or something, but that's under the hood, not by the exhaust pipe behind the car. and your car will steam a bit if it's run for awhile on a cold day. since the pipe is hot and air is cold, a bit of steam is normal.
About the exhaust smoking in the cold... and after you have shut the car off... hmmm... you sure you put your nose close enough to smell it... you should smell it for at least 5 minutes to see if there is something wrong... ... ...

BUUUT...
with dubcnea on all accounts...

And about the oil leaking... There should be nothing leaking out of anywhere... if there is a leak... that means there is a problem... that you should tighten it first... Then clean the area... this will allow you to check it later to see if you have fixed the problem... If the problem persists, then get a new little gasket for it (if there is one, i havn't physicly checked...). After you have done this... then i suggest you get a new bolt if the gasket thing doesn't fix it... If the new bolt doesn't fix it... you'll most likely need to re-thread the area and supply it with a new bolt that fits in the newly threaded area... <<<~~~ just a step by step thing before you jump to conclusions and run to the Stealership...

Oh and Merry Christmas to you too hommie...
Old 12-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Many thanks. The oil leaking was from the gasket like y'all mentioned. Just got a new one and retightened the bolt after the oil change. The steam was indeed just normal exhaust, I guess it was just bigger because it's been colder here than normal.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Hurricane Game

glad to hear you got'r fixed bro! hope it keeps on keepin on. keep us up to date if anything else comes up.