Resurrecting my 96 2.5TL after 4 years

Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resurrecting my 96 2.5TL after 4 years

My TL died on me years ago when i knew nothing about cars and was told it was totalled out. BS The only thing wrong was a broken front driverside axle. I let the car sit in my driveway for years and now am trying to get it running again.
I got two new axles, new battery, new brakes all together, the rotors rusted. So my main worry is just starting the car after so long.
Will the gas being syphoned out and refilled with good gas and primed by pumping the gas pedal be ok? My friend wants to take the gas tank off, not sure thats ez. Also about the oil, do i check the level and add more, or try to drain and change the oil first, or just start then add oil after it runs, IDK.
This was my game plan:
1. Empty old gas, syphon? refill w/ new premium gas, not sure was gonna put at least a quarter tank.
2. New battery, CHeck oil, add oil, cross fingers, pump gas,attempt start.
3. Drain brake fluid from car, bleed brakes , Front right then clockwise attach new rotors hardware and pads.
4. Install new axles, was going to do the whole drain and remove gaskets and filter but parts were too much and out of stock at dealer so will save that for later. WHat is differential fluid as opposed to tranny fluid. I am still newb, but tryn to learn, so be nice.

I have a whole list of the fluids i need to do but just getting it to start and i will know that i was right to keep the car and put money back into her.
Please help on the order, importance of things, Especially since the car has sat outside for so long 31/2 to 4 years.
Thanks guys, I am so psyched to get started on this!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang, I hope you get her running! I am a newb at this stuff, but the guys on this forum are really helpful. I would definitely make sure the oil and coolant are at the right level before attempting to start, but I can't really advise anything else.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Dam poor TL let her sit that long for a broken axle..???? Who told u the car was tottaled..???? My car never sees a shop.. only to get new tires and aliment thats its.. lol other than that no one touches my car lol just me my buddy and my dad.... I hit 260 k and still running like a beast lol hope u get it fixed soon and post pixxxxxx

We have a fb page and instagram page lkl hit us up lol
Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Before you start it up...oil and filter change is in order for sure.

After that I would also do the transmission fluid (drain and fill; not flush and fill). If you are up for it pull the pan and change out the filter too. Only use HONDA ATF! Also change out the differential oil as well - the differential takes gear oil not ATF.

Brake fluid was on your list as well which is good. Your calipers might be seized due to time spent not being used. Something to keep in mind.

Your tires might be NFG as well - check for cracking, low pressure - they might have developed flat spots from sitting so long. You will know when you drive it!

Was the car stored with a full tank of fuel? If not, condensation may have built up and rusted the tank. A good inspection is in order. For sure swap out the fuel. Would I take it off? Not sure. Perhaps. You certainly will be able to check it better and clean it with it off. Inspect all your fuel and brake lines as well. Ensure they are solid.

Spark plugs (use only NGK or DENSO), air filter, fuel filter would be a good idea as well. New wiper blades. Check your air box for critter nests. Distributor cap and rotor are a good idea, but a bit of a PITA given the tight location. Will help with the starting if you are having issues. Spark plugs wire should be okay, but again something to keep in mind if you have trouble starting the car.

A change of antifreeze is in order as well. I would do that after you get it started so you can bleed the system properly. Check the level before starting for sure. I would also check your coolant lines and put those on the list for replacement esp if they are original. Cheap insurance.

Power steering fluid could be changed at some point as well. Again, only use HONDA brand fluid.

Shop around for parts. rockauto is good, I got some good prices from PEP Boys online with discount codes. From Pep Boys I got plugs, air, fuel, dist cap and rotor, and left rear brake caliper for $100 with free shipping and taxes in.

Best of luck. Keep us up to date on your progress!

Last edited by adventurecrv; 05-24-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Cruisin'

Thx for the replies mates. Me and BigChevy are about to get started on it. I gusess we change the oil, sypon the gas, put new gas in and new battery and cross fingers to start.
I'll take some pictures and update yall.
@adventurecrv, what r those codes man? i remember replacing a rear caliper on the tl years ago abd it cost about 65$ o r more from auto zone.
And btw Pep Boys is the bastards who quoted me $4500 to repair it, with just a busted axle. Oh well here goes nothing...
Old 05-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced

If you order your parts online both rockauto and pepboys have discount codes you can enter in before you check out.

Rockauto doesn't advertise them, but simple websearch will bring it up. Good for 5% off.

Pepboys have them right on the webpage. Usually around the 10-15% mark, but I did see 25% a couple of times though. Every bit helps...right now it is 25% off order of $100 or more, plus free shipping...cheaper than going into the store or having it shipped to the store. I noticed that shipping to the store increases the price of some items - my distributor was an extra $50 as I had it shipped to the store - I was pretty mad at myself for making that mistake...

Yeah, I had some work done a pepboys - they were okay, but mainly young part changers. They forgot to change out the O2 sensor, but charged me the labour. Had to go back...
Old 06-01-2014, 05:11 AM
Radical Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe the gas tank is plastic, so rust isn't a huge issue. I also believe there is a drain plug in the bottom of the tank. Once it has fresh gas in it, cycle the key a few times. From ACC to ON but not START. This will hopefully pump the old gas out of the fuel rails, and bring new fun up. Pumping the gas pedal will do nothing at all for your car. It doesn't have a carburetor.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced

It is a steel tank with a plastic shroud.

Good call about the drain plug it does indeed have one of those!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

wish i had known about drain plug, already put 6 gallons of premium in it
I couldnt get anything out when i syphoned it so i hope its good
New battery optima yellow top,amazon ~$180 new fuel filter, autozone $20
new rotors have me stumped right now, think i need a wheel hub remover or some special tool, UUUGGGGGGHHHHHH!! SO close! I think i need to get a new set of control arms too. They werent too bad but i mushroomed the Ball JOint bolt a little tryn to separate
Any words of encouragement?
Gotta do the transmission filter and drain too