A Quality replacement for the stock front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Quality replacement for the stock front speakers

Hey fellas,

I love the stock sound system on our TL's. Excellent imaging, and clarity, and the headunit is simple and easy to use. However, my stock 6.5's in the doors are starting to go out, and I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a replacement. I was thinking of just buying the stock speakers from an acura dealer online since I really enjoy the stock sound system, but wanted to see if there was a better replacement out there for the woofers in the doors.

Keep in mind that I'm using the stock headunit. I'm not really much of a fan of stick 4 12's in my trunk and letting everyone withing a 5 mile radius know that I'm listening to music, but i do appreciate decent, tight bass. The stock speakers were a little lacking in this respect, but more than made up for it with their superb imaging and clarity. Any recommendations?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Burning Brakes

I bought the Blaupunkt PCxb652 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers from Crutchfield for $39.00 and I am very happy with it.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i changed the rear speakers for two 6x9's sony xplod .. i enjoy how they sound
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
1998 3.2TL

related question for anyone who would know....

If we wanted to keep the stock headunit but replace the front or rear speakers, can we just pop in any 2-way speakers?

Also, does anyone know the output specs of the stock headunit?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

^^^Im curious of this too^^ my door speakers are farting and i dont feel like replacing all the interior speakers and headunit, would my 6.5 2way jl audio speakers work without having to buy anything else? And also, how do you get to the speakers? i went trying to take off that mesh cover and found that it didnt come off too easy without force, so never got it off, and it is not flush back with the rest of the door panel. I beleive i will have to take the entire panel off also because the jl speakers that i have come with a custom housing that bolts up to regular speaker housing holes, and i dont believe that i would be able to do it through the little mesh door in the door panel. does anyone know how to take the front two door panels off?
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyhonda3.2
^^^Im curious of this too^^ my door speakers are farting and i dont feel like replacing all the interior speakers and headunit, would my 6.5 2way jl audio speakers work without having to buy anything else? And also, how do you get to the speakers? i went trying to take off that mesh cover and found that it didnt come off too easy without force, so never got it off, and it is not flush back with the rest of the door panel. I beleive i will have to take the entire panel off also because the jl speakers that i have come with a custom housing that bolts up to regular speaker housing holes, and i dont believe that i would be able to do it through the little mesh door in the door panel. does anyone know how to take the front two door panels off?

do a search i have a service manual up on this forums. it be easy to learn how to do it better then explain it a thousand times on this forum ,it been said
Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Racer

Best thing to do is search for the pic-by-pic write up on the manual on how to make your windows roll down faster, somebody showed on how to take the doors out which allow you to get to your front speakers, I changed mines to component speaker 6.5.....make sure you get capacitors, it helps if you want to do heavy duty sound improvement.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Racer

I agree, do a search on slow windows. And find a write up on how to take apart the door panel. I'm using Infinity Reference 6.5 on the front and back. I think I bought mine from amazon.com. They sound better than stock, altho i'm sure there are better sounding speakers out there for more $$$, like the Infinity Kappa series.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Racer

Might as well grease up the window tracks with white lithium grease while you have the panel down, and kill two birds with one stone.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sushimaster
Might as well grease up the window tracks with white lithium grease while you have the panel down, and kill two birds with one stone.
I need to do this shit too. My passenger window now stops completely halfway rolling up/down!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

sushimaster, why do you have zip ties around your speakers?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:18 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by daemonicus
Yeah, curious minds want to know. The thought of the rattles crack me up.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Racer

The aftermarket Infinity speakers were too DEEP for the factory (plastic white speaker enclosure that fits between the speaker and the door panel). So I ended up using the plastic mounting adapters that came with my Infinity speakers. Only it wouldn't allow me to perfectly line up the speaker holes with the holes to the door panel holes.

You can see in the picture that two of the green holes where the original honda speaker enclosure screwed into, weren't used.

I had to use the pink zip ties to secure the speaker to the harness. To my knowledge it doesn't vibrate or have any negative effects.

Also I forgot, I had to goto Circuit City and buy wire harness adapter for the Honda/Acura to connect the speaker terminals to the factory speaker wire harness.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sushimaster
The aftermarket Infinity speakers were too DEEP for the factory (plastic white speaker enclosure that fits between the speaker and the door panel). So I ended up using the plastic mounting adapters that came with my Infinity speakers. Only it wouldn't allow me to perfectly line up the speaker holes with the holes to the door panel holes.

You can see in the picture that two of the green holes where the original honda speaker enclosure screwed into, weren't used.

I had to use the pink zip ties to secure the speaker to the harness. To my knowledge it doesn't vibrate or have any negative effects.

Also I forgot, I had to goto Circuit City and buy wire harness adapter for the Honda/Acura to connect the speaker terminals to the factory speaker wire harness.
i had the same problem with some 6.5" audiobahn midbass speakers so i sent them back and got 5.25" and they lined up perrrrrrfectly
Old 02-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Instructor

our door speakers aren't 6.5. they are 5.25..
i managed to fit 6.5's in my door, but it was a pain. I had to dremel the heck out of the speaker grill thats in the panel, and the adapter that i got from a local shop.

also, the plastic piece and the sheet that is inside the door help with noise. I don't think its a good idea to remove it.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
TL Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Petie
related question for anyone who would know....

If we wanted to keep the stock headunit but replace the front or rear speakers, can we just pop in any 2-way speakers?

Also, does anyone know the output specs of the stock headunit?

I would assume that the RMS output of the stock deck is 15 watts x 4, and then maybe 4-5 watts for the ceiling midranges. I'm looking at my stock speakers right now (replaced), and all 4 of them say 15W on the magnet. the speakers have the same magnet structure and voice coile size, just the cone area is obviously different. it doesn't take much power for stock systems to play at moderate levels. car Manufacturers engineer each car system specifically.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Burning Brakes

you can keep the stock headunit and replace all the speakers. i switch out my aftermarket head unit and stock head unit a lot and the speakers do fine. the only difference is with the aftermarket head unit, you lose the 2 overhead speakers which makes a difference in the sound.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by meazz1
I bought the Blaupunkt PCxb652 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers from Crutchfield for $39.00 and I am very happy with it.
Thanks! I bought the GTx652's from Crutchfield too. They were $39 with free shipping. The stock speakers were shot. The foam around the original cone had deteriorated. The Blaupunkt's are a nice improvement over stock.
The 6 1/2's are not an exact fit. I still wanted to use the weather shield so I Dremeled out the back of it and the inner ring of the double rings. Mounted the weather shield back to the door. Wired up the speaker. Placed the speaker over the shield and drilled pilot holes in the sheet metal for screws using the speaker as a template. Screwed it together. Done. Sounds great!
Old 03-12-2007, 03:45 PM
-glock security-

5.25 mb quart seperates

sounds great for me, better than the 6.5 2-ways i had in my honda. now i have to go gett another woofer/amp. i like 10's so i will get 1 or 2 ten's.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:31 PM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had my car, I used Infinity Reference 6021si (or something like that). The "s" means shallow mount. It worked very well for that car, and my Accord as well. I took them out and put in $10 pair of speakers I got from Circuit City when I sold it. It sounded a little worse, but not too bad. Now I have the Infinity speakers in my Accord in addition to Boston Acoustics NX97 in the rear. I love them!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Does anyone know the front speaker (+) and (-) wire color codes?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by bat-on
Does anyone know the front speaker (+) and (-) wire color codes?

Black wire (+), Black wire with white stripe (-)
Old 03-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Advanced

thanks for the info
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Cajun Asian

Kicker SS!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 PM
Advanced

i got 2 sony xplod front door speakers they have good quality
Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Htown slab rider

I have some pioneer speakers in my doors and honest to GOD they sounded allright at first but now they just suck, its the pioneer with the plastic cone, i wonder why they just didnt continue making the ones with the paper like material, bass quality was better in my opinion, hopefully since i'm still working on a surround sound modification for my vehicle i might add bass blockers to all my interior speakers and the speakers will function well but till then it sucks....just thought i should mention blue plastic looking cone pioneer speakers suck
Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by teekay3001
I have some pioneer speakers in my doors and honest to GOD they sounded allright at first but now they just suck, its the pioneer with the plastic cone, i wonder why they just didnt continue making the ones with the paper like material, bass quality was better in my opinion, hopefully since i'm still working on a surround sound modification for my vehicle i might add bass blockers to all my interior speakers and the speakers will function well but till then it sucks....just thought i should mention blue plastic looking cone pioneer speakers suck
if you're looking to increase your speakers' performance, i'd recommened these. not expensive at all and they're worth it.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/viewp...30&category=71

i have them and there was definitely a noticable difference.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:41 PM
1998 2.5TL

I think these would be pretty good. Since they are 5.25", they'd fit right in.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Htown slab rider

if you're looking to increase your speakers' performance, i'd recommened these. not expensive at all and they're worth it.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/viewp...30&category=71

i have them and there was definitely a noticable difference.

i do believe that this should help alot might get em this saturday.....but the nakamichi speakers do look kinda fly
Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I put the JVC's, because they fit with no mods, sounded good, and were cheap.

They are coax, and do have the plastic cones mentioned above. So, I hope they don't go bad on me. My wife drives it most of the time, and she does not crank it up as much as I do...