Long running fan

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:30 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long running fan

'97 3.2 TL. One of the radiator fan runs for a long time. Searching on this forum and in my CD repair manual has shown me that it is normal for the fan to run for 10-15 minutes. My fan started running until the battery went dead. I also noticed that it was the drivers side fan, which my repair manual indicated is the a/c fan. The coolant temperature gauge always comes up to just below the middle between hot and cold and stays there, never over heating. The cooling system had seemed to be working perfectly. When the fan started staying on, I noticed that the interior heater wasn't pushing hot air, only cold. I checked the coolant level and noticed that it was a bit low, so I added up to the filler neck and it came out of the bleeder. I couldn't get it to blow hot air out of the heater, even after putting a vacuum pump on the heater core valve and making sure that it moved to the open position. I ended up bailing on those problems and pulled the fan fuse, to figure out on another day. One last anomaly I noticed was that there was no hose on the nipple of the inlet to the radiator catch tank. I also noticed that the level of the tank was higher than it had been. I cut a hose to fit down almost to the bottom of the tank since I couldn't see how the radiator could suck the coolant back out when the engine cooled. The next day the heater worked and the fan only ran for 12 minutes, as per normal. I believe that all the problems are interrelated as they all happened at the same time and all stopped at the same time and I believe that they all stemmed from not having a return hose from the bottom of the coolant catch tank to the radiator. I got this car for free because it blew both head gaskets and my friend didn't want his Mom to have to deal with it and it wasn't worth him having it repaired vs getting her a new car. I can't help but think that the head gasket problem may have been hastened by the lack of the catch tank return hose. This is just a FYI post. Hopefully it will help someone else. Troy341