Literally spitting coolant now

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Literally spitting coolant now

Hi guys! I've been meaning to research this, but haven't had the time to really do a thorough search. Maybe you can help. Last time I drove my '98 3.2 TL, it was just after New Years and I drove it for about an hour one way, then back the next day. I noticed steam rising from under the hood. When I got back, before turning the car off, I checked under the hood and found coolant splashed over the underside of the hood. While I watched the engine run while looking for the source of the steam, I noticed flecks of coolant spitting straight up from an area to the front left (passenger side) of the engine block. I thought I was pretty familiar with this car's cooling system since it has been my biggest problem for years, but apparently not. Does anyone have any ideas about what component might be leaking? It's not the top hose or anything on the driver's side.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Instructor

I looked at it again and I now have a theory that there is coolant leaking on the belt closest to the passenger side and the belt was flicking it upwards. I did not see it spitting this time, but there is a pulley in that area and the belt was wet after I took the car out to get a pizza tonight. I still don't know where the actual leak is, though, but maybe the situation isn't as strange as I thought.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Could be the radiator, Ever pressure test the cooling system ?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Instructor

No, I haven't pressure tested it recently. I don't have the tools to do it. It seems a little far away from the radiator, but do you think it could be shooting out from the radiator and onto one of the belts?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts

Yea that could be occurring, Heres a diagram of the hoses to better help. Suspect the water bypass hoses could be damaged.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Could be the water pump?

Don't drive it anymore until you get it fixed, unless you want to buy a new motor.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:02 AM
Instructor

Maybe it is the water bypass hose. I have mice living in the car, so do you think they could have chewed it?

I sure hope the water pump isn't leaking because I just had a new one put in last May!