How does the Acura Legend compare to the '96-'98 3.2 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
How does the Acura Legend compare to the '96-'98 3.2 TL?

I think I have to give up my '98 3.2 TL because it has too many problems all of the sudden. I'm heartbroken because it was the best car I've ever driven. If I can, I'd like to try to buy another one just like it, though. I was thinking either that or an Acura Legend. Does anyone know what the difference is between the '96-'98 3.2 TLs and the Legend? If I love the TL, will I love the Legend, too?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I recall, they are a bit bigger and not as sporty.

Nice car at the time. 89 Integra was one of my favourites though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_L...2.80.931995.29
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 AM
Instructor

Hmmmm. I like the size of my car. I used to drive a bigger car and it was not as fun as my TL, though that may have been because it wasn't an Acura, haha. Well, as you know from talking on my other thread, I am now attempting to take my car's fate into my own hands (we'll see how that goes, lol) so hopefully I'll be able to keep it for a while longer. If I got a Legend, I just think it would be awesome to get one from 1988 (for no good reason). I have seen Integras before and they have a very unique look, which is cool. They seem like they were geared more for racing than luxury, is that true?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I have three legends- a 94 auto coupe, a 95 6mt coupe, and a 94 GS sedan 6mt. Comparing the 98 TL to the legend, the legend is a step up as it was the flagship and were quite costly back then. My folks had a 96 2.5TL and although very nice, it didn't compare to the legend. Even though the legend is heavier I think it is sportier especially with a manual trans. Of course I am probably partial to them owning a few, but I think the styling of the legend is more timeless and more sporty especially in coupe form. They are however not the easiest to work on as they were packed with amenities that even most new cars today don't have. The Achilles heal on them is the head gaskets which are prone to going out if the cooling system maintenance is not watched closely. You have the 3.2 in your TL and it is the same engine as the legend had and therefore is prone to HG issues.

Your question on the integra- it depends which integra you are asking on. If it is a 5 speed and gsr. Definitely more for quick handling etc. I have a 92 gsr and it is a little rocket/go kart. They are easy to work on and are extremely reliable though

Last edited by MarcDavidoff; 03-28-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sharp!

I always loved the MT Legend and yes, a step up!
Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcDavidoff
I have three legends- a 94 auto coupe, a 95 6mt coupe, and a 94 GS sedan 6mt. Comparing the 98 TL to the legend, the legend is a step up as it was the flagship and were quite costly back then. My folks had a 96 2.5TL and although very nice, it didn't compare to the legend. Even though the legend is heavier I think it is sportier especially with a manual trans. Of course I am probably partial to them owning a few, but I think the styling of the legend is more timeless and more sporty especially in coupe form. They are however not the easiest to work on as they were packed with amenities that even most new cars today don't have. The Achilles heal on them is the head gaskets which are prone to going out if the cooling system maintenance is not watched closely. You have the 3.2 in your TL and it is the same engine as the legend had and therefore is prone to HG issues.

Your question on the integra- it depends which integra you are asking on. If it is a 5 speed and gsr. Definitely more for quick handling etc. I have a 92 gsr and it is a little rocket/go kart. They are easy to work on and are extremely reliable though

MarcD! Good to see you over here from the legend board (Gearhead here)

But as Marc said, I would take a legend over my TL ANYDAY of the week. A 94-95 LS coupe or GS sedan with a six speed.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Wow, nice pictures and cars! I guess if my TL has to be replaced I could check into the Legend. I'd rather not have more head gasket troubles, but at least I'd know what to expect from owning my 3.2 TL. I love the way it looks in black.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Gearhead! Yeah I poke around here as well since I have an 02 TL too
Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh very nice!! I'm sure it's as clean as the legends!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
It'll drive similarly to be honest. The vast majority have the same 200 hp motor as the TL.

The Legend will have less wind noise (frames around the windows which the TL didn't have) and a bigger backseat. Blown headgaskets are an issue, just be sure to have a mechanic look for the signs now and then.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Ken, if I were able to detect "the signs" of a blown head gasket, is there something that could be done to treat the symptoms and prevent it from going all the way? (Because I do have the signs right now.)
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Overheating is the main cause. When the car is turned off, the radiator fans usually stay on to cool the engine. I believe they'll stay on as long as 10 or 15 minutes if needed.

Is your engine temperature gauge going to up to 'H' at stops?

A coolant flush would definitely help, make sure the technician 'burps' the system so that air pockets don't stay in there.

A possible fix would be a better radiator.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 AM
Instructor

It did overheat once and I drove it on "H" for a little while when I brought it to the mechanic. It had a leak in the water pump and dripped out too much coolant because I wasn't checking the level often enough. The temp has been normal, even when stopped. It goes to just under halfway. The radiator should be fine because it had a leak in the top a few years ago and I had it replaced. It supposedly failed a chemical test and I was told that there were "combustion gases present in the cooling system" a couple years ago. I have pellets in the radiator now and they seem to prevent leaking and air pressure build up in the cooling system.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Burning Brakes

The first stages on the 3.2L is a seeping head gasket. It will get the combustion gases in the coolant and will overheat if an air pocket hits the thermostat. But usually the exhaust in the coolant will push excess coolant into the overflow reservoir.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Instructor

Is there a trick to actively relieve the air pressure build-up if it gets bad enough that it starts overheating regularly? Like unscrewing the reservoir cap or the nut you unscrew when you burp it perhaps? Or will that just spill coolant more than anything? I know that everyone says don't bother adding "head gasket in a can" stuff, but I wonder if this is an appropriate situation for that. The mechanic I go to told me that blowing the head gasket would be catastrophic and fixing it would not be an option pretty much. I don't know if I should believe that or not. Would you guys change the head gasket or the whole engine if you had my car?
Old 04-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Instructor

Damn, that black Legend looks better every time I see it.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend changing the headgasket on the car instead of a new engine if your engine was in good condition prior to the headgasket blowing. Chances are the heads do not need to be machined if it hasn't been severely overheated. Simply removing the heads/ cleaning the old gasket off both surfaces and reassembling with new headgaskets will suffice. These engines blow headgaskets due to detonation when the EGR pipe becomes clogged with carbon buildup. Factory maintenance states that the intake manifold should be removed and EGR cleaned every 60k miles.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Instructor

I'll consider that as an option, Ken, thanks! Hopefully I can get some more mileage out of her until then because either way, I'm guessing it will be a costly job (changing the gasket or the engine). My engine recently blew a spark plug into a cylinder, but I don't know what the extent of the damage was. My mechanic vacuumed the pieces out and it doesn't seem to be misfiring anymore, but it sure sounded bad before I had them fix it! Other than that, I think the engine is in decent condition.