Help, I need a cat back exhaust options ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:17 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, I need a cat back exhaust options ASAP!!!

My girl's 96 TL 3.2 muffler broke off at the pipe into the muffler and the rear pipe. I told her to take it into Monroe Muffler and they quoted a price of $475 for a cat back pipe and muffler with installation. This is a non-performance part. The counter guy couldn't tell me the material it was made of, but he did know that it wasn't stainless steel or polished. The muffler was $275. The rear pipe from the back of the cat to the muffler was also not polished or stainless and I was quoted $135. I'm not paying anywhere near that. What type of stock or quiet stainless cat backs are offered for this car? I'll put the damn thing on and it'll look way better than the Monroe Muffler Ripoff Catback.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 11:55 PM
First Gen 3.2 TL

sorry but there isn't any company that offers a cat-back exhaust for our cars.. if youre looking for something quiet, i would recommend a remus or a greddy muffler, but then again, you have to the piping done. to save some money, i suggest you find a used greddy muffler for a 95-97 v6 accord 4dr. a little extension on the flange to muffler piping and it will surely fit. don't waste your money by buying a new cat back for the accord because you aren't going to use the straight pipe that has the resonator on it. the only peice you would use the the flange tp muffler peice because our stock 3-way catalyic converter almost reaches to the end of the other flange. another way of doing it to check your nearest part-recycling place. try http://www.car-part.com/ to locate a parts store nearest you..
Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 PM
Racer

I have the stock muffler i would sell to yo if you are interested. PM me
Old 08-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Advanced

expressautoparts.com ==

intermediate pipe = $60
muffler = $138
ring-style gaskets = $2 each (may want to wait for the pipe to arrive and go to any muffler shop and make sure you have the right size - I had the correct one for the rear but not the forward connection. Alternatively, just pick up some gasket material and make a flat one and/or use gasket sealant paste).

Go to a good automotive hardware store and get stainless steel hex head bolts and nuts and red threadlock. Slap that puppy on. It really is that easy.

TIP: Also pick up some white lithium grease. Just a little bit on the end of the hanger posts and the inside of the hangers will make your life easier.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:03 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for all the responses

Wow you guys were fast. I think I will go the express auto parts route. I just prefer to go with new parts. I appreciate how thorough you were in your answers.

Late!
Old 09-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sonicblue
expressautoparts.com ==

intermediate pipe = $60
muffler = $138
ring-style gaskets = $2 each (may want to wait for the pipe to arrive and go to any muffler shop and make sure you have the right size - I had the correct one for the rear but not the forward connection. Alternatively, just pick up some gasket material and make a flat one and/or use gasket sealant paste).

Go to a good automotive hardware store and get stainless steel hex head bolts and nuts and red threadlock. Slap that puppy on. It really is that easy.

TIP: Also pick up some white lithium grease. Just a little bit on the end of the hanger posts and the inside of the hangers will make your life easier.

Did you replace your secondary catalytic converter with an intermediate pipe?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by my96_2.5TL
Did you replace your secondary catalytic converter with an intermediate pipe?
I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the entire exhaust system. However, I do know that I didn't replace any cats. The first connection I made was behind a large cat, though - is that the secondary. The two sections I replaced definitely didn't have any cats in them.