Giving up the TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:32 AM
PSC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Giving up the TL

I want to say thanks to the forum for all the help I found here. If not for this forum I would have given up on this car a long time ago.

I'm about to let my 2.5 TL go. It's been giving me too many problems, some due to its age, and it's causing too much stress. It's hard to find some parts and the parts are expensive.

Main reasons:
My TL is on its 5th starter in 5 years. Something about this car destroys starters. I've probably gotten crap ones from Autozone/Advance auto, but I also had a couple rebuilt at a shop that my mechanic swears by. They did not last. The last one I put in a year ago and it's acting up already. I changed it myself 4 times, once the mechanic did it for free.

I bought the car with bad motor mounts, and never could bring myself to pay the ~$300 for each mount to fix the problem.
The car gives a jump when I shift from park to drive but it's been driving fine for years.
Not going to fix that.

Then I've been getting some water leaks, the hoses are just old I guess. I've replaced 2 so far plus the heater valve, and I don't want to have to change them all.

The condenser fan motor is expensive, like $100 more than the radiator motor. I was lucky enough to get a used one on ebay.

My ac works sometimes. It's some cheap valve that needs to be replaced but the entire dash has to come out. The shop quoted more than 2 hours of labor.

Plus I've had 2 bad oil leaks, one was from the rear seal which I had to pay about $400-something to fix. The mechanic said it was a nightmare to take everything apart to get to the seal. And he charged for less labor than the manual quoted. The other leak is happening now from the front end by the pulleys. I'm not spending any more money to fix it. I'm putting in 1/3 of a quart every 2 days.

Then I have a power steering leak from the pump.
That one is slow, I put in a little bit each week or so.

The odometer hasn't worked in 2 years.

The clearcoat has been peeling off little by little.

I can only start it in neutral.

I've saved a lot of money by working on it myself, but I feel it's beyond the point of no return. It will take too much money to fix everything.

I love the look of this car, it still looks classy but it's time to say goodbye. I'm gonna sell it to the junkyard.
I just hope the starter lasts until my refund check comes through.
Once again, thanks to everyone here, and goodbye.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
I would put it on craigslist first and give the car another chance. Maybe someone will pick her up and don't mind fixing those problems.

I have to agree on the starter because I am also on my 4th one as well. I remember you helped me on how to replace it. Thank you soo much for contributing to this forum. Take care!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
im also on my second going third starter in 7 months..
Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by white2.5tl
im also on my second going third starter in 7 months..
kinda pricey $$$
Old 01-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
When you don't buy OEM parts, you can expect that to happen. My friend had a similar issue with Alternators on his Nissan Sentra. He went through like 6 in only 2 years. Finally he got the OEM and it has been fine since. You want stuff to last, you get OEM, you want stuff cheap, you get Autozone or something but don't expect it to be quality.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JZuniga
kinda pricey $$$
thanks to napa liftetime warranty..
Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Str8 Home built

Buying cheap parts is the why these first gen TL fail... Ive had my TL for 7 years and my starter has not gone bad. And i only replaced my alternator 1 time... And i got it of a vigor just had to swap the pullies on it and i was good to go... My choice were the o reileies or autozone which both stores are worthless to a TL they have always failed me.... Giving me the wrong parts... so i just went to the junk yard and picked up the alt... Lol.... I always go oem or upgrade if possible.... I lov my TL and it has never gave me any problems...