Fuel Tank Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Tank Drain Plug

Just wondering if someone can point me to where this plug is located. I need to drain tha tank as I accidentally put 2 gallons of diesel in it. I looked but couldnt find a plug anywhere. Maybe I somehow missed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I just checked in All data and it doesn't show any drain plug. Your only option I believe is to drop the tank and get it drained and cleaned throughly. It shows about 1.1 to 1.5 hours of labor to drop the tank. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is such a plug you have to remove the plastic cover from underneath the car just before the resonator it's just a couple of plastic clips then the drain plug similar to the oil pan drain plug (I think it's even the same size) is accessible. Loosen it up then down goes the fuel out of the tank but in order to not have future problems regarding the fuel system I suggest pulling down the tank which is a bitch to do. Hit me up if you need help!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try a hose and siphon out the diesel.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUECEON9ER
There is such a plug you have to remove the plastic cover from underneath the car just before the resonator it's just a couple of plastic clips then the drain plug similar to the oil pan drain plug (I think it's even the same size) is accessible. Loosen it up then down goes the fuel out of the tank but in order to not have future problems regarding the fuel system I suggest pulling down the tank which is a bitch to do. Hit me up if you need help!

Deuce, First off thanks for your input. Im just wondering if theres a solution I can put in tank when I get the diesel out to remove any trace of it. I know I need to flush the tank out but Im really not trying to drop tank if I dont have to. Cant believe that I put myself in this situation when It wouldve been much easier to put gas in the first instance
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by meazz1
try a hose and siphon out the diesel.

Thanks, I think I might just do that since it simple enough to do.

Do I need to change out the fuel filter? Before I realised that I put diesel in the car I did start it and it was very rough n stalled. I imagine diesel has gotten in there as well as the injectors.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tmnhs81
I just checked in All data and it doesn't show any drain plug. Your only option I believe is to drop the tank and get it drained and cleaned throughly. It shows about 1.1 to 1.5 hours of labor to drop the tank. Good luck.

Thanks, im really trying to avoid dropping that tank though
Old 01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
It should be possible to disconnect the main fuel supply at the fuel rail, rig a dump line, and pump the tank nearly dry (still would be some residual mixed fuel). You will need a good sized fuel container (5 gallons or more), and you'll need to dispose of the contaminated fuel (used oil dump?). Raising front wheels would allow maximum pump out. This will require 'hot wiring" the fuel pump to supply 12V and ground at the rear connector in the trunk.

Siphoning may not work as most cars have an anti-siphon guard to prevent this practice.

good luck