Fuel gauge and low level indicator degradation with time

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 01:27 PM
BLUE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel gauge and low level indicator degradation with time

Over the past 100,000 miles, I've noticed that the low fuel light consistently comes on with just under 2 gallons of gas remaining. (I can tell because if I refill the tank at that point it always takes about 15 gallons and the tank holds 17.2 gallons.) However, the needle's location when the light comes on has shifted. It used to come on just below the 1/8th of a tank point. Now it comes on just above the "E". I think the accuracy of the needle has degraded and that there is actually more fuel left than it says.

Does anybody know how these sensor work? Are the needle and the low fuel indicator separate sensors? How do they work? Have others noticed that the needle accuracy has degraded with time while the indicator light has remained relatively constant?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluish
Over the past 100,000 miles, I've noticed that the low fuel light consistently comes on with just under 2 gallons of gas remaining. (I can tell because if I refill the tank at that point it always takes about 15 gallons and the tank holds 17.2 gallons.) However, the needle's location when the light comes on has shifted. It used to come on just below the 1/8th of a tank point. Now it comes on just above the "E". I think the accuracy of the needle has degraded and that there is actually more fuel left than it says.

Does anybody know how these sensor work? Are the needle and the low fuel indicator separate sensors? How do they work? Have others noticed that the needle accuracy has degraded with time while the indicator light has remained relatively constant?
The Fuel Light sensor is set to the fuel gauge... The Fuel gauge is inaccurate... When you fill your tank to the maximum you should notice that for the first 40 to 60 miles depending on your driving the Fuel gauge will say full... It's because when you are on Full the float inside the tank is all the way up and it should take a while for the fuel to reach the bottom of the float so it can start moving down thus moving your gauge...

On the other hand, and this should answer your question, when the float is all the way down is doesn't extend all the way down to the floor of the tank but you'll still have gas in the tank to take you to the nearest gas station... I think they made it inaccurate for all the stupid people that run it all the way down to the E... of forgetfull people that don't check if they have gas in the morning before going to work etc... It should allow the person to drive to the nearest gas station...
Old 09-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry didn't get to edit... daughter pushed the power button on the computer

Anyways... Our cars might not get the fuel information from the float and resistor thing going inside our tanks... most likely the ECU reads the resistor that tells it how full or empty you are... the cars onboard "Computer" is what tells the little light to come on when the gauge is at a certain point... Acura set it up but i wouldn't know how to set it to how we would want it...

The only thing i know is that once it hits empty you still have 2 gallons left and the fuel light comes on... take the fuel light out is the only way i would think of not having it come on when you still have fuel in the tank... i wouldn't know how to reset the time the fuel light comes on...