"flare nut wrench" and fuel filter repalcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"flare nut wrench" and fuel filter repalcement

I would like to know "how much" better and powerful this tool is comapred with the common "2-face wrench" when working on fuel line/fuel filter nut removal. I also heard from someone called this wrench as "fuel filter" wrench and it is a must for working on brake cylinder stuffs which I am not familiar with. Anyway......

Here was what happened:

Kind of funny that I did not even pay attention to this tool until I had a hard time removing the fuel filter. I read a posting with detailed steps of repalcing the fuel filter. I could not turn the lower nut by a "2-face wrench". Part of the reason might be that it was too tight and there was not too much space to apply forec on the tool. This project was rolled back and I got a little bit fuel leak afterward at the upper nut area but was tightened up as soon as I founf out after driving on the road. I want to know if this tool will help me turn the nut that was giving me hard time or there is some other tricks that I did not know.(WD-40, that I know)

Please let me know if you have advice.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:40 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rchuang
I would like to know "how much" better and powerful this tool is comapred with the common "2-face wrench" when working on fuel line/fuel filter nut removal. I also heard from someone called this wrench as "fuel filter" wrench and it is a must for working on brake cylinder stuffs which I am not familiar with. Anyway......

Here was what happened:

Kind of funny that I did not even pay attention to this tool until I had a hard time removing the fuel filter. I read a posting with detailed steps of repalcing the fuel filter. I could not turn the lower nut by a "2-face wrench". Part of the reason might be that it was too tight and there was not too much space to apply forec on the tool. This project was rolled back and I got a little bit fuel leak afterward at the upper nut area but was tightened up as soon as I founf out after driving on the road. I want to know if this tool will help me turn the nut that was giving me hard time or there is some other tricks that I did not know.(WD-40, that I know)

Please let me know if you have advice.
The flare nut wrench is *much* better at removing this type of fitting than a standard open end wrench. The flare nut wrench will grip the nut on four or five of its sides, instead of only two. It is much less likely to strip off the corners of the nut because of this. Some types of flare fittings use brass nuts, which are particularly prone to corner stripping and really require these wrenches. If you are planning to do a fair amount of work on your own car, head down to Sears and get a set of these. They are worth the price of a second set of wrenches when you need them.

A flare nut wrench will not give you any more leverage than a standard wrench, but it will let you transmit much more torque to the nut before stripping its corners.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the bottom one is hard to turn.
It took about 30 min for me to turn the bottom one with 2 face wrench.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You can get an inexpensive set of flare nut wrenches for less than $5 (Calhawk brand) from discount tool outlets. They work great. It's amazing how much difference the flare nut wrench makes on tight tubing nuts.

Another tip on the fuel filter is to look for the boss that can be used to restrain the filter. It's usually a square lug that you can grab w/ a regular open end wrench to hold the filter body and allow you to really torque the tubing nuts w/o twisting the mounting bracket for the filter.

good luck