First Gen 3.2 TL Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Removal and Cleaning DIY

Old 05-28-2012, 04:03 AM
'96 3.2 TL

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
First Gen 3.2 TL Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Removal and Cleaning DIY

Hi all. I recently was experiencing a rough idle on cold start and warm start and occasionally during idling at stoplights. I determined through these forums that the culprit was likely the idle air control valve (IACV). This is a common issue with our Acura TLs yet I have not come across a really good first gen DIY guide for IACV removal and cleaning. So, here's my shot at it.

First, the symptoms - rough idle. Maybe jumpy between a few hundred and a thousand RPM and / or difficulty keeping the car running at idle. Symptoms do vary. Luckily, this fix is easy (~30 mins) and free.

First, make sure your engine is cool as you will need to access the engine compartment and temporily disconnect some coolant tubes. Assemble your tools. From left to right in the attached picture: Ratchet with 12 mm socket, Needlenose plyers, 10 mm wrench, and Vice grips.

Next remove the plastic engine cover by removing the four 12 mm nuts. The IACV is just under the cover in the front, next to the throttle body and main air intake, slightly on the driver's side of the engine.

Once the engine cover is off, the IACV is accessible. I removed the black plastic throttle body cover by removing the two 12mm bolts just to more easily access the IACV.

Next, unclip and detatch the two electrical connections in the vicinity (one attatches to IACV) and then use the needlenose plyers to loosen the clamps around the two small (~1/2 inch) coolant hoses going to the IACV (pictured). You may need to loosen the hoses using the vice grips. It's a tight space but gently rock the hoses back and forth and apply pressure to remove them. The vice grips worked well for me - it would be nice to have a pair that are padded so to protect the tubing better. Be cautious of coolant coming out of the hoses once detached. There wasn't too much for me, just some minor spilling.

Once the hoses are removed, use the 10mm wrench to get two bolts removed. The one in the back is an especially tight fit and hard to get at unless you have the right tool. The bolts are ~4 inches long.

The IACV should be loose and you can pull it out. Visually inspect and clean with carb cleaner. Douse it until all the grime is removed and you're satisfied! Inspect the gasket too!

Let the IACV dry for 20 minutes or so before reassembling in reverse order.

Start the car and let the PCU "re-learn" the idle. The RPMs may be jumpy and seem to be worse and the check engine light may come on, but let the car idle for a little while anyway (few mins?) to complete the learning process. Soon, your car should be purring during idle.

Re-set the check engine light if necessary by removing the negative battery terminal. It should not come back on if you've put everything back together properly and don't have some other new issue.

Hope this helps others! My idle has been rock solid since my cleaning. I should probably do a complete air system cleanup too ... my next project.
Attached Thumbnails First Gen 3.2 TL Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Removal and Cleaning DIY-iacv_0.jpg   First Gen 3.2 TL Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Removal and Cleaning DIY-iacv_1.jpg   First Gen 3.2 TL Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Removal and Cleaning DIY-iacv_2.jpg   First Gen 3.2 TL Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Removal and Cleaning DIY-iacv_3.jpg   First Gen 3.2 TL Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Removal and Cleaning DIY-iacv_4.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by bbero:
jmathews2013 (10-11-2013), kacurac (12-07-2013), SmokenTL420 (05-30-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 06:14 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Great DIY. Might need to do mine.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice DIY! I have to take apart the intake to clean the ports, while I'm there I'm def. doing this one!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idle air control valve

Just replaced mine on a 1999 with 126000 miles. Took an hour to do. I removed the air intake, disconnected everything attached to the throttle body except the cables and removed it. It made getting at mounting screws easier. Runs Great! Good Luck.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 AM
97 3.2TLPrem(Sold 3/7/14)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bbero
Re-set the check engine light if necessary by removing the negative battery terminal.
When you 're-set' the check engine light that way, the code(s) are still stored in the memory. The only way to clear them completely is with a code reader.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bbero
Hi all. I recently was experiencing a rough idle on cold start and warm start and occasionally during idling at stoplights. I determined through these forums that the culprit was likely the idle air control valve (IACV). This is a common issue with our Acura TLs yet I have not come across a really good first gen DIY guide for IACV removal and cleaning. So, here's my shot at it.

First, the symptoms - rough idle. Maybe jumpy between a few hundred and a thousand RPM and / or difficulty keeping the car running at idle. Symptoms do vary. Luckily, this fix is easy (~30 mins) and free.

First, make sure your engine is cool as you will need to access the engine compartment and temporily disconnect some coolant tubes. Assemble your tools. From left to right in the attached picture: Ratchet with 12 mm socket, Needlenose plyers, 10 mm wrench, and Vice grips.

Next remove the plastic engine cover by removing the four 12 mm nuts. The IACV is just under the cover in the front, next to the throttle body and main air intake, slightly on the driver's side of the engine.

Once the engine cover is off, the IACV is accessible. I removed the black plastic throttle body cover by removing the two 12mm bolts just to more easily access the IACV.

Next, unclip and detatch the two electrical connections in the vicinity (one attatches to IACV) and then use the needlenose plyers to loosen the clamps around the two small (~1/2 inch) coolant hoses going to the IACV (pictured). You may need to loosen the hoses using the vice grips. It's a tight space but gently rock the hoses back and forth and apply pressure to remove them. The vice grips worked well for me - it would be nice to have a pair that are padded so to protect the tubing better. Be cautious of coolant coming out of the hoses once detached. There wasn't too much for me, just some minor spilling.

Once the hoses are removed, use the 10mm wrench to get two bolts removed. The one in the back is an especially tight fit and hard to get at unless you have the right tool. The bolts are ~4 inches long.

The IACV should be loose and you can pull it out. Visually inspect and clean with carb cleaner. Douse it until all the grime is removed and you're satisfied! Inspect the gasket too!

Let the IACV dry for 20 minutes or so before reassembling in reverse order.

Start the car and let the PCU "re-learn" the idle. The RPMs may be jumpy and seem to be worse and the check engine light may come on, but let the car idle for a little while anyway (few mins?) to complete the learning process. Soon, your car should be purring during idle.

Re-set the check engine light if necessary by removing the negative battery terminal. It should not come back on if you've put everything back together properly and don't have some other new issue.

Hope this helps others! My idle has been rock solid since my cleaning. I should probably do a complete air system cleanup too ... my next project.
Thank you for your post. Now that I finally found a useful post, the size 12 wrench does not fit. I've tried every size and nothing fits. Any suggestions? The new piece did not come with replacements, so breaking them isn;t an option.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:33 AM
97 3.2TLPrem(Sold 3/7/14)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thats odd...a 12 mm fits those bolts on mine. Maybe your are a little worn. Try a 6 pt. wrench instead of a 12 pt.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:46 AM
1st Gear

This was a great, very informative post! Pulled the TB and took off the IACV and cleaned it. Rough idle and stalling issue solved! Thanks for taking the time to post and share this!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear

I appreciate the info! I will give this a try.