Catastophic belt failure due to locked idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
BLUE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Catastophic belt failure due to locked idler pulley

The idler pulley for my A/C drive belt locked up today causing the belt to over-heat and snap. I've removed the belt and the idler pulley, but the pulleys on the A/C compressor and the main engine drive shaft have rubber debris fused into them.

Before I repace the idler pulley and the belt, I want to clean this stuff off. Using a screw driver has proven difficult - it's really fused on. Has anyone ever solved this problem before?

The good news is I have until June/July to fix this problem!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
PB, or Penetrating Blaster should help. Weren't you able to hear the belt squealing before it got to the point of breaking/melting? I know when we had to deal with a stuck tensioner on a Legend that sound drilled into our heads pretty damn badly.

~Cheers~
Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
BLUE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed a mild "whine" about 3 weeks ago and thought the problem was with the alterntor bearings. I did some research on this forum and found others experienced problems with the idler pulley, but since the "whine" wasn't that loud, I just monitored the noise level. I planned to troubleshoot the problem over Thanksgiving break. Then yesterday the "Whine" turned into a loud "SQUEAL" for a couple of minutes while on the highway. I looked in the miror and saw a cloud of smoke trailing me. When I pulled over I saw the belt had melted and snapped.

Today I removed and disassembled the ilder pulley and found the bearings were black and in pieces. I cleaned off the good parts and will replace the belt, pulley, and collar in June if the car is still running (it has 234K miles). The parts I will replace are:

1) Belt (38920-PSG-004)
2) Pulley, Idle (38942-P1R-000)
3) Collar, Idle Pulley (38944-PSG-000)

Total costs will be about $55. All I need to do is figure out how to clean the debris off of the compressor pulley. I'll give the Penetrating Blaster a try if my engine degreaser doesn't work. Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
SAKozicki (02-21-2012)
Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Wow 230K on the TL! Great!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluish
I noticed a mild "whine" about 3 weeks ago and thought the problem was with the alterntor bearings. I did some research on this forum and found others experienced problems with the idler pulley, but since the "whine" wasn't that loud, I just monitored the noise level. I planned to troubleshoot the problem over Thanksgiving break. Then yesterday the "Whine" turned into a loud "SQUEAL" for a couple of minutes while on the highway. I looked in the miror and saw a cloud of smoke trailing me. When I pulled over I saw the belt had melted and snapped.

Today I removed and disassembled the ilder pulley and found the bearings were black and in pieces. I cleaned off the good parts and will replace the belt, pulley, and collar in June if the car is still running (it has 234K miles). The parts I will replace are:

1) Belt (38920-PSG-004)

Total costs will be about $55. All I need to do is figure out how to clean the debris off of the compressor pulley. I'll give the Penetrating Blaster a try if my engine degreaser doesn't work. Thanks.
How did the repair go? This happened to my son in the middle of Indiana on the interstate over the weekend, on the way back from an interview. It's a 2002 RL with 179000 on it. I thought was going to have to replace an alternator or the A/C compressor Thank God it wasn't something more serious. How difficult was the repair? Thanks for posting, it kept me from spending too much on parts.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
I had to change mines about a month ago due to horrible bearing noises coming from that area. It's very easy to do on a 2.5TL. All I did was loosen the center bolt on the pulley, and adjust the lever on tensioner to move the pulley up enough to clear the belt. Then I completely took the center nut off and pull the pulley out.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluish

1) Belt (38920-PSG-004)

I discovered a tip, just replace the bearing on the Idle pulley. It is a 6203 rs 17 x 40 x 12 mm bearing that you can buy for under $10 online. You push the bearing out of the pulley with a socket and a vise, back in the same way. With the belt and the bearing, your done for under $20. This is a real common bearing, too. Many different cars use this size on their belt tensioners. I bought a pack of ten, since, between me and my kids, we own five Acuras/Hondas.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SAKozicki
I discovered a tip, just replace the bearing on the Idle pulley. It is a 6203 rs 17 x 40 x 12 mm bearing that you can buy for under $10 online. You push the bearing out of the pulley with a socket and a vise, back in the same way. With the belt and the bearing, your done for under $20. This is a real common bearing, too. Many different cars use this size on their belt tensioners. I bought a pack of ten, since, between me and my kids, we own five Acuras/Hondas.
Can you point to a website that may have this part? Also, i can't really tell how to use a "socket and a vise" to take the bearing out, would be a big help. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

Hello, can you tell me a Website where you found these parts? Belt # does not show anything on google, but I can find the belt. I can find the pulley for about $35 at one place only, would like to comparison shop a bit, Also, what is the "Collar"?

1) Belt (38920-PSG-004)
Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Cruisin'

can not find 93 Legend Idler pulley at local parts places.

I have a 93 Legend that has the frozen A/C idler pulley. Went 2 years without A/C but I think I will fix it this year. None of the local places has it. I found 1 place on internet that has it for about $40 based on a poster' part number. I was wondering if this is about the going rate and if anyone has source they recommend on the internet. Also, what is the "Collar" for? I was able to take the pulley off easily enough, not sure what is the "Collar" for?

George
Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
wow this might be my problem as well. My car sat for over a year 500 miles away. I got it back and shortly after the belt spun and broke in about 30seconds when driving it. Maybe the A/C compressor is ok.... need to find that bearing and try this out ASAP!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Racer

Ok just checked and my idle pulley has a lot of build up of the old belt as well. But the pulley spins freely still. Should the A/C pulley spins free hand?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by memphisraines26
Ok just checked and my idle pulley has a lot of build up of the old belt as well. But the pulley spins freely still. Should the A/C pulley spins free hand?
Both pulleys you've mentioned should spin freely without any abnormal scratching noises. I have replaced both on mines during my ownership. Can't believe it's been 7 years already!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by main70072
Both pulleys you've mentioned should spin freely without any abnormal scratching noises. I have replaced both on mines during my ownership. Can't believe it's been 7 years already!
I guess it would be good to replace both now. I found another thread of yours, didnt you just get another refurb compressor and just swap the clutch pulley? I need to get it fixed along with all the other things lol.

I've had mine in the family going on 13 years. Bought my '96 in '99 and it's been paid off since '04. It's been nice not to have a car payment for it in over 8 years and let me mom use it for a few years to save her some cash.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by memphisraines26
I guess it would be good to replace both now. I found another thread of yours, didnt you just get another refurb compressor and just swap the clutch pulley? I need to get it fixed along with all the other things lol.

I've had mine in the family going on 13 years. Bought my '96 in '99 and it's been paid off since '04. It's been nice not to have a car payment for it in over 8 years and let me mom use it for a few years to save her some cash.
I bought a used compressor that came with a new clutch pulley, took that pulley off and put it on my compressor to avoid discharging and removing the compressor that was on my car.

This car has definitely paid for itself already. I too have a few things that I have to replace and put on including new ball joints, suspensions, and not to mention replacing that starter again.