CARPUTER is in...LOTS OF PICS **56k beware**

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
CARPUTER is in...LOTS OF PICS **56k beware**

well finally in after 10 hrs of installation this past weekend.. my knees are still paying the price.. but it is on limp mode right now.. still have lots of settings to get working.. so for now it is just a really expensive MP3 player... started bright and early at 10AM.. and finished at 8:40 pm.. the pics will show how dark it got...

first testfit to see how it would sorta look...

no backseats let's race...

tried to run the wires on the driver side.. that didn't work... it greatly shortened alot of my wires and also so many wires already there.. the traffic was like rush hour in china...

so instead we had to go up the middle..

took out center console...

wires on the right very nicely tucked in...

rear seats back in..like the perfect lounge... leave the front pass seats out and sit in the back and have madd legroom...

my friend getting in there and getting down and ditry with the install.. thanks shalinz... .we gotta do this on your 04 TL...

working the glovebox out..

its out...

lets go to the trunk...

testing... i made the case out of plexiglass... it is a VIA Celeron 1 GHZ with 256 RAM... 40 gig HD and 150 OPUS DC-DC PSU....

glove back in... slimline DVD in an external case... the USB hub is also in the glove... plans incluse eventually a mini keyboard and bluetooth dongle and wireless... i work for verizon wireless so imma try to integrate some EV-DO into it so ill have internet connection whereever i go...

testing

shalinz again with my fiancee

config

i moved the sub back in place.. u can see carputer in the back of the pic... hard to see.. with the cap on the right..

main screen

playlist and what it looks like at night.. we just finished..

there u go...

thats it for now... will still need to work on it this weekend.. need lots of tweaking and try to get my GPS mouse to work... i still haven't cleaned up all the wires yet and my trunk is still a damn mess... not as clean as i usually have it... thanks for watching...
Old 10-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
nice, what kind/make of screen is that. as i am planing to do almost the same thing..
Old 10-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KADAW
nice, what kind/make of screen is that. as i am planing to do almost the same thing..
Xenarc 7" touchscreen... its the best out there... i went with a liliput but i sold it... wasn't as bright and the quality was not as good as the xenarc... don't go cheap on the screen.. it will be the most important part in your project... but it basically makes or breaks your carputer also...

anyone wanna find me a OBDII to USB reader???
Old 10-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks kool..something different
Old 10-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cool!!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
Xenarc 7" touchscreen... its the best out there... i went with a liliput but i sold it... wasn't as bright and the quality was not as good as the xenarc... don't go cheap on the screen.. it will be the most important part in your project... but it basically makes or breaks your carputer also...

anyone wanna find me a OBDII to USB reader???
Word. i got a cheap laptop with a broken screen that i will use for my carpute, n yeah ill get a good screen.. thats y i asked hahah and THANKs.. .
Old 10-18-2005, 10:10 PM
distinctiv_tuning

bro that shyt looks sick!...Good JOB!!!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Banned

O my F'N G lols ur front plate is at the exactly the same place i have mine!!

lol sorrie to hijack ur thread
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

thanks everyone... the plan is to eventually fiberglass the screen into the dash where the OEM HU is... but since i just moved to dallas the apt complex doesn't allow me to work on my car.. so it will have to be like this for now until i get a house or move back home to jersey... we shall see...
Old 10-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Senior Moderator

O my F'N G lols ur front plate is at the exactly the same place i have mine!!

lol sorrie to hijack ur thread
ahahah yeah.. now all i gotta do is find the damn cover for the holes on the front bumper and im good...
Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Banned

^word. hah sorrie if im botherig you, but where would u get this skin. or if i do buy that screen it will come with it?.. im a noob hah mp3. dont seem to wanna helps noobz that much haha so i stuck with asking u for some info.. lol
Old 10-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Safety Car

your girls cute. so what city are you at again??
Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

^word. hah sorrie if im botherig you, but where would u get this skin. or if i do buy that screen it will come with it?.. im a noob hah mp3. dont seem to wanna helps noobz that much haha so i stuck with asking u for some info.. lol
yeah im there alot.. u really gotta search for it... its a program called Roadrunner im using.. u will find it under the software section of mp3... there is also a skin developer where u can make ur own skin... ill do it one day later when i have time...

the screen is just a regular LCD VGA screen... thats a shell program im running..
Old 10-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLBaller
your girls cute. so what city are you at again??
ahahah VIET pride.. lolz.. j/p j/p... i was waiting for someone to say something about her cleavage shot.. she yelled at me for that pic... Dallas man.. i still gotta come down to meet u bro... one day one day...
Old 10-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Banned

hah aite i guess thats y they hate noobs thanks again for the help..
Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 AM
2003 Acura MDX

damn, thats hot.... nice work!
Old 10-19-2005, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pics turned out great Drew. Don't for get that we still need to get a floppy drive so that we can flash your BIOS and get the rest of it working. I think I have time this weekend if you still need more help.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:28 AM
Registered Driver

Fuck yeah man, finally. Now that you've copied me though, I can't be your friend

It looks nice, anxious to see how you mold it in.

When you do, you should put the DVD drive right up there too. Would be nice. I'm not sure how much room you would have though. I don't recall what it is like back there.

What did you use to extend the wiring to get everything into the trunk?

How do you like Road Runner? I'm using CentraFuse right now but think I want something different...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Racer

thanks everyone... the plan is to eventually fiberglass the screen into the dash where the OEM HU is... but since i just moved to dallas the apt complex doesn't allow me to work on my car.. so it will have to be like this for now until i get a house or move back home to jersey... we shall see...
r u fiberglassing the dash ur self? by the way nice work
Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 PM
Registered Driver

I hope your molding it yourself, you should, they look nice once you do.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
Fuck yeah man, finally. Now that you've copied me though, I can't be your friend

It looks nice, anxious to see how you mold it in.

When you do, you should put the DVD drive right up there too. Would be nice. I'm not sure how much room you would have though. I don't recall what it is like back there.

What did you use to extend the wiring to get everything into the trunk?

How do you like Road Runner? I'm using CentraFuse right now but think I want something different...

yeah well this is the third car i had a carputer in...
first was a G20, then a SVX, and finally TL... TL took the longest bc of space issue...

the screen will get molded with fiberglass.. the screen and slot loading DVD won't fit in there... the screen is already 7" which almost fits a double DIN... otherwise i was gonna mold the DVD into the armrest or make the glove look nicer...

extend wires via extension cords... lolz...

and i like road runner.. its only a temp until i have time to write my own active desktop software... i want something personal.. but it will be a while...
Old 10-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by shalinz
Pics turned out great Drew. Don't for get that we still need to get a floppy drive so that we can flash your BIOS and get the rest of it working. I think I have time this weekend if you still need more help.
thanks again bro for your help.. yeah man i def need ur help.. who wouldn't want a former microsoft employee at their disposal with this kinda project...
Old 10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by longeye23s
r u fiberglassing the dash ur self? by the way nice work
thanks.. yeah i don't trust anyone else with my install.. no offense.. im just OCD like that... the fiberglassing will prob start once i get a house, either that or move back to jersey and do it at my house back there...
Old 10-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered Driver

yeah well this is the third car i had a carputer in...
first was a G20, then a SVX, and finally TL... TL took the longest bc of space issue...

the screen will get molded with fiberglass.. the screen and slot loading DVD won't fit in there... the screen is already 7" which almost fits a double DIN... otherwise i was gonna mold the DVD into the armrest or make the glove look nicer...

extend wires via extension cords... lolz...

and i like road runner.. its only a temp until i have time to write my own active desktop software... i want something personal.. but it will be a while...
It really won't fit? I seemed to have a bunch of extra space with my 7" Lilli if I had cut the buttons off the bottom, I think it would be enough space (face-wise, not sure about depth) to mount a slot load.

I am planning something into the armrest, not the DVD though
Old 10-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks again bro for your help.. yeah man i def need ur help.. who wouldn't want a former microsoft employee at their disposal with this kinda project...
Hehe, My pleasure. Glad I could help. Yea it helps when you are exposed to this stuff for 6 1/2 years. Just let me know when you want to do it. I am trying to get hold of a dremel so that we can do the lower grill mod on my car too.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by shalinz
Hehe, My pleasure. Glad I could help. Yea it helps when you are exposed to this stuff for 6 1/2 years. Just let me know when you want to do it. I am trying to get hold of a dremel so that we can do the lower grill mod on my car too.
some time on sat... maybe actually get up madd early...
Old 10-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Racer

Damn! thats alot of work.
Looks great!
Now I just wish Alpine would make the flip down lcd with a USB touch screen.
That way, I can have both an indash DVD player.

By the way, I got a question about the wire hookup.
Does the carputer shut down automatically when the ignition is off?
Or do you do it manually? How does the process work?

ALso, is there a radar detector out there that hooks up to a carputer?
Id like to put one in once Alpine makes a USB touch screen.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

u can go two routes with the power supply... i have an opus that is delayed.. but the psu cost me 200$... auto shut down about 10 secs after i turn off and take the key out...

anotehr way is to just use a reg power supply and have an ITPS power controller... but then u may have to manually shut it down.. right now all i do is shut off the car and take out the key and it auto shut down...

all radars i know of do not integrate into anything... i don't have any idea why it would... but i do know of an internal system which is externally invisible... (nothing sticking on your windshild)
Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome work
Old 10-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered Driver

u can go two routes with the power supply... i have an opus that is delayed.. but the psu cost me 200$... auto shut down about 10 secs after i turn off and take the key out...

anotehr way is to just use a reg power supply and have an ITPS power controller... but then u may have to manually shut it down.. right now all i do is shut off the car and take out the key and it auto shut down...

all radars i know of do not integrate into anything... i don't have any idea why it would... but i do know of an internal system which is externally invisible... (nothing sticking on your windshild)
That's what I did, regular power supply in the case I got, with a Carnetix DC-DC 60W unit to control shutdown.

I hooked my fogs up to it too, so the come on with the car, and then go off after 30 seconds once I take the key out.

I've got a switch in the IGN line running to the supply too, good to have so that you don't have to start up/shut down the computer if all you need to do is move the car out of the driveway or something.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Cruisin'

sorry, but

Old 05-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Senior Moderator

u need to take off the wood trim around there first... start from the passenger side and use a flat screwdriver wrapped in a towel so u don't scratch... the wood trim is held on with clips so just be patient and gentle and work your way to the middle... then after the trim is loose you will need to unhook your climate control...

after the trim is off, the black moulding around the HU is held in awith a few bolts... the whole HU will come off with the black trim...

let me know if that helps...
Old 05-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Cruisin'

thanks, if there's no pics, then i'll try to take some when i do it
Old 05-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 97saber
i read through and didnt see anything i mentioned below, so:

1. is this connected to the cars computer to play w/ engine settings? or just a standalone pc?
2. is it custom? by you? or a kit made for a car?

either way, very nice
Old 05-07-2006, 12:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jayunsplanet
i read through and didnt see anything i mentioned below, so:

1. is this connected to the cars computer to play w/ engine settings? or just a standalone pc?
2. is it custom? by you? or a kit made for a car?

either way, very nice
1.) i haven't gotten that far yet... the OBDII to USB cable is fairly cheap... but for the moment i can use the 109$ towards gas... i am not using the Carputer to tune the ECU, but if i had a race car i would def go this route rather than through a laptop... for the moment, it is basically an expensive MP3 player with over 2k songs on the HD, DVD player, and Navi system... one day down the road ill get it hooked into the OBDII port and monitor the engine...

2.) yes it is custom by me... i just used alot of universal parts to get it to work, but my carputer setup is unique in my own way... there isn't a kit made specific for any car, but u need to custom fabricate everything... another 1st gen member has a carputer setup and his is totally different than mine...

since the install last year, i have moved the carputer into an xbox case... i completely gutted the internals and put all the carputer components in... here are some pics..

car..
Old 05-07-2006, 10:39 AM
TL no more!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 97saber
Should've done some searching. There are at least 2 threads on here.

Here's my version:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=aux-in
Old 05-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Registered Driver

I'm the other member (another member might have one, or had one in the works) that has a carputer setup.

What'd you do with the screen Kam? Ever flush it?
Old 05-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
I'm the other member (another member might have one, or had one in the works) that has a carputer setup.

What'd you do with the screen Kam? Ever flush it?
naw still don't have the room to do it... my apt complex won't let me work on the car... so maybe if i move back to NJ i will do it... otherwise ill just leave it.. i kinda got used to it sitting on the side like that...
Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Senior Moderator

updated the pics for everyone... i will post pics of the GPS mouse that has been installed over the last few months... and i got a new mini keyboard... pics tomm...
Old 12-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Acura Vet

Talking

Kam.....You are a mad scientist. That is excellent craftsmanship and shows a lot of ingenuity and know how. I am extremely impressed. I have a buddy that is a Network administrator for one of the school systems here. I think that I will get him to view this thread and see what he can come up with for me. You're an inspiration Sir!

Quick Reply: CARPUTER is in...LOTS OF PICS **56k beware**