Buying a 1991 Acura Legend: A Love Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 1991 Acura Legend: A Love Story

Two years ago, I met a woman online (oh my god m i rite? bbbbbbbbb zoom zig). At that point in time she was living on the Eastern Seabord. We had a lot in common, but distance was obviously a problem. A big problem, considering that I'm in Kansas. As time progressed, she wound up moving about 1000 miles west, where her life took a turn for the worse.

Details aside, that was about a year and a half ago. That's when we really started talking. At first over chat and Facebook of course. She's my age (26), good looking, and no kids. A rare find in today's society. About nine months ago we started talking over the phone.

Both of us are the type of people that do not like spending time on the phone--as in more than 20 minutes is a conversation that has gone on too long and needs to be destroyed and killed with fire. But we'd spend hours and hours just talking. And talking and talking. Two, three, six, seven hours on some occasions. I don't want to think about how much brain cancer we received from such ridiculous amounts of time on the phone, but I don't care.

Over Christmas break right after Christmas, she flew in. I picked her up from the airport. Gave her a few hours to acclimate, and then the fun began. For ten days we practically never left each other's sight. Saw movies, had some drinks, ran around half naked slapping each other with wet towels--you know, the things any sane couple youth would do *chortle*. Now, the fact that we spent all of that time together and never grew tired of one another was just flat shocking to both of us. Usually people get on my nerves, and on hers. We didn't. It was a totally mutual thing and it was freaking bizarre.

Then came the fateful day. The trip to the airport for the return home. I find it horribly ironic that in order to find out that we really liked each other, and really had something going on that she had to leave. There was no real way around it, but there it is. But her life where she is is the next best thing to purgatory, so I enacted a plan. Get her the fuck out and back into my arms.

I dug through craigslist and located a vehicle. A 91 Acura Legend with about 200k miles on it. Brand new leather interior, all alloy rims, good body, colored white, missing a stereo just like my TL was (which I found to be just a funny icing on a cake that is still baking), and apparently solid. Its not too far from where she is, and the price is good. A perfect car to get her here. And an Acura.

I've never paid for a car outright in my life. I find this ironic, because I still owe on my own car what I'm spending to buy hers outright. But the sappy stuff aside, what can I expect out of a 1991 Legend? What kind of maintenance am I looking at having to do around 200k miles assuming that its been well taken care of? Someone cared about it enough to put a brand new interior into it, so I'm assuming that regular maintenance was done.

I understand that the Legend was the predecessor to my own TL. So does that mean that there are a great deal of interchangable/identical parts? Also, a realization... once this deal is done and she's home with me, I'll own 5 vehicles. One of which is a parts car for my old 95 Altima sitting at my grandparent's house with 226,000 miles. My drivable 95 Altima that is only used for part time pizza delivery when I need extra cash, also with 229,000 miles. My 72 Cutlass Convertible which is sitting in Arkansas on a restoration lot waiting for money to be thrown at it, with 150,000 original miles, my Acura TL with 238,000 miles, and then an Acura Legend with about 206,000 miles.

I'm going to own over 1 million miles worth of vehicles. What a feat.

Icing on the cake: She wants to get greasy and dirty with me and learn how to work on cars. A match made in heaven, I swear to you.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Instructor

No seriously.... someone please answer the car question. If you're not comfortable saying "awww" you don't have to. I need to know what I'm getting myself into. :p
Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
well that was a very touching story that warmed my heart, but unfortunately the legend was the predecessor to the RL not the TL so posting this on their side of the forums would help :-P
Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Believe it or not, most of the guys here with 1G TLs drive Legends or have had them in the past.

IMO I would have it checked out before you buy it. Go out there, have it checked out, and then give it to her yourself.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'Interchangeable parts, maintenance and now you'll have 5 of them'... wait I got confused ya talking about the car or the girl?

Sorry Leuth I don't have experiance w/ that model Legend, but I did have a '90 Coupe that was a great drive and very dependable. It was old at 16 years when I got it, but was really well taken care of and being an Acura was well designed and put together for the long haul. I did some minor maintenance on it, got some nice wheels and installed a stereo and gave it to my then girlfriend. I loved the car, she didn't and so eventually came home w/ a new Lexus SUV. Yuck on the car, but I married her anyway, the girl, not the SUV.

However w/ regard to your question, I believe suspension stuff like wheels, sway bar and strut bars will interchange if you have a 3.2 TL.

Any which way the car and the girl turn out it looks like it'll be an interesting ride. GL w/ both endeavors.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
well that was a very touching story that warmed my heart, but unfortunately the legend was the predecessor to the RL not the TL so posting this on their side of the forums would help :-P
Yes and no.

The 3.2 TL's engine is identical to the 2nd gen Legend's except its OBD-II
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Instructor

I sent her a laundry list of things I wanted her to check that she could:

Me: I want you to look for rust spots
Me: Actually, I want you to make a list.
Me: Rust spots.
Me: Weird vibrations
Me: Steering Wheel Pull
Me: Hard shifting/soft shifting/long shifting when accelerating.
Me: Any kind of engine noise.
Me: I want you to scare the guy when you pop the hood, hold your hair back, and listen to the engine.
Me: Closely.
Me: I want you to check for battery corrosion.
Me: And any kind of high speed noise/vibration.
Me: All of the leather seats look in good shape/new shape so no biggy there.
Me: I want you to verify that all of the motors in the electric seats work.
Me: And that the heated seats function.
Me: I think its the dial to the right of the steering wheel. I drove a 90 Legend to Prom back in 2001, so I think that's what that thing is.
Me: I want you to watch the gauges, make sure they all are actually reading and not jumping/flickering around.
Me: Make sure the trunk popper on the driver side works
Me: Verify that the trunk can or cannot be opened with a key
Me: Verify that the hood opens and stays open via the hydraulics, and doesn't have to be held up
Me: Have them pull the air filter so you can visually inspect its condition.
Me: Verify that the Check Engine Light is Off.
Me: I want you to check each individual tire. Put your hands around the back and pull and tug the tire to see if theres any wobble or play
Me: You'd feel it while driving if there was, but that's again just to put them on edge.
Me: I want you to check the oil and the transmission fluid and see how clean/dirty it is.
Me: Ask what oil is in it, and what type of filter.
Me: Just nod regardless of what they tell you.
Me: Verify all of the automatic windows and locks work.
Me: Open and shut each door to listen to any grinding or groaning noises.
Me: Check to see if there's a jackstand and a donut in the trunk.
Me: Make sure the moonroof opens and closes.
Me: Verify all of the lights work, blink, etc.
Me: Check for smoker damage.
Me: Little burns, etc.
Me: Make sure the vent/heat/air works on all settings.
Me: Verify the cruise control works.
Me: Ask if they have put only Premium Fuel in the car, as it will effect mileage and runability until the system is running pure 91 octane
Her: I'm going to look funny as hell with my little notebook, going around and checking things off. LOL
Me: That's alright.
Me: Oh yeah, and see if all of the tires are the same brand/size.
Me: Should say something like 215r/65 or something like that (I'm not really sure)
Her: Does it look like the windshield has been replaced?
Her: or look rusty around the seems?
Her: seams
Me: Yeah.
Her: I really hope it doesn't leak.
Me: That's normal rust, though.
Me: The Legends did that.
Me: And don't let him try to sell you on a Cavalier.
Me: I won't buy one of those pieces of shit.
Her: LOL
Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Do it, and when you need replacement/optional parts, get them all from currently-not-so-sunny San Francisco!

Congrats on your girl!!

~Cheers~
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<---- has owned 6 legends in under 2 years time.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Instructor

The Legend was an absolute junk heap.
The salesman lied about the "new interior" to me over the phone. The interior was actually taken out of another Legend. There was other interior damage around the passenger door, and to top it off(!) some idiot had the window in the car rolled down while it was raining yesterday. The engine idled around 2800rpms, and the back tires were mismatched and entirely bald. So she drove 1.5 hours to find a piece of junk waiting for her....

Next up: 1993 Low mileage $1100 Toyota Camry: A Love Story

lol.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Boy, that was one love story!

Hope it works out for the both of you!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

And for freeking's sake, get her a TL!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mandy
and for freeking's sake, get her a tl!

x2!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

I have a 93 Camry as a beater and that things has 250,000+ miles on it and I just changed the motor out and put one in with ~105,000. It also has a brand new timing belt and everything.

It runs better than my TL.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Now all we need is a picture of your beautiful partner!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Instructor

We said fuck it to the entire car in Ohio thing.
Buying her a plane ticket, shipping her belongings by Post, and getting her a taxi to the airport. It'll run us about $600. But it'll be a lot more of a guarantee to get her home.

And I can find her a TL around here.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

She is moving near you!?!?
Old 01-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Instructor

She's moving in.
We're treating it entirely as a roomy situation at first though. That way in case we bounce off each other , she'll have a car, and her feet secured before we part ways. Not that I expect that to happen of course.

Her problems all go away if you throw money at them.

Here's some pictures:

And here's my cat and a Red Pummello, just because they were next to them on the album.

Last edited by Leuth; 01-25-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Why I not see all pics? Is it me? She's nice. Good luck and good love!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:05 PM
大日本帝国

You guys seem happy! Congrats again!!

~Cheers~
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

GL with everything!

Hopefully everything turns out good for you!
Old 02-16-2010, 01:22 AM
大日本帝国

UPDATE TIME.

Valentine's Day was yesterday, so tell us what she did for you! <- How it should be everywhere.

~Cheers~
Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Still not seeing pics...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 AM
大日本帝国

^ You can't see the pics?

~Cheers~