Blower motor - Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 02:41 PM
96TL2.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower motor - Help!!

Hi everyone,
I think my blower motor is gone. I can feel air coming through the front vents when I drive.
If the temp knob is on cool the air comes out cool. If I turn the knob to hot , air comes out hot. The fan does not come on at all. I checked the heater relay fuse inside the car and it's good. I also checked the blower motor fuse under the hood. It's good too.
I turned the ignition to on and pressed "auto" & "off" at the same time. The displayed said "on".

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 05:20 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
I don't know what is wrong but if you need a site for parts. http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp Good luck.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 PM
giggity giggity giggity

If you mean that the system is off but air is still coming in, then this is normal. If the system is off and you change the temp knob, the air coming in will change temps as well.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:04 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Yeah, that's from having the vents at the base of the windscreen open, and adjusting how much air is routed throught the heater core.

~Cheers~
Old 11-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Blower motor may be gone. It's a big job to replace, so I would do some diagnostics (checking for power to the motor w/ VOM) before deciding to replace. There is a power transistor which controls power to the fan to yield variable speed and could be bad also. I think this would set a code w/ ATC which you did. Did you have the code key? The codes are a combination of display elements, and I don't have a manual w/ me (middle of GoM).

good luck
Old 11-24-2007, 04:43 PM
4th Gear

Blower motor

I had the same problem. It gave no code. The blower motor was out. Replaced it. Then it showed a code and the blower motor relay was out also or no low speed.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:57 PM
2nd Gear

When you say a big job to replace. How big? Its under the passenger side dash correct? What are we talking about? Is there A FSM for this car somewhere? I have been unable to find one for download. And really need to do this. I will be checking the transistor first. But My instinct says its the motor.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:06 AM
96TL2.5

At first I went to the stealership and they said "it's a huge job. 8 to 10 hours labour, $1200 approx." Then he says " but I'll cut you a deal on the labour and only charge 4 hours."
I left and will never return.
A friend recommended his mechanic and I took in. This guy checked out the CEL codes and gave it a once over. He even tried to give the motor a few taps to see if it would kick in. but no luck. He didn't charge for any of this. But then he tells me he can't be sure of what the problem is until he removes the dash and takes a look. My buddy swears by this mechanic, so I give the go ahead. He calls me later and it turned out it wasn't the blower motor. It was the ECT sensor and some other sensor that I can't remember right now. ... maybe the climate control sensor?...I'll check and get back... Anyways $500. Considering he bought the two sensors from the dealer (showed me receipts and the old parts) and removed the dash, I figured not too bad. Certainly better than the thieving dealership.
I'll be taking my car to this guy from now on.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

not a bad deal. i have a 96 Tl that I use for snow driving instead of my 05 TL. that is until my heat went. same issue. first acura of seekonk, ma quoted me a 12 hour job. not sure what i'm going to do. i'm trying to sell the car as is and by a jeep wrangler for the winter or something.

good luck with your fix
Old 12-27-2007, 09:45 AM
96TL2.5

Btw, the codes I had were
P0118
P0700
P1792

But once I had the repairs done as I mentioned above, the CEL light cleared and hasn't returned
Old 12-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same problem, it was the blower motor. Its a pretty big job, you need to remove the entire dash to replace the blower motor. Additionally, you need to vaccum out the freeon and then replace it when your done as well. Labor is about $500-$600 and the part is roughly $390.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM
3rd Gear

Blower Motor Relay

Hello everyone, Just curious if someone could help. Ive been trying to figure out how I can get the codes that you all speak about from the car's computer, and also if someone could tell me the the part number or something to identify the relay switch that controls the blower. If someone has a picture I would greatly appreciate it. If someone has a partnumber I would appreciate it. Also Is the replacement of the switch easy? Or am I just better off taking my car to the dealership, considering I dont know any respectable mechanic in my city.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Linux50
Hello everyone, Just curious if someone could help. Ive been trying to figure out how I can get the codes that you all speak about from the car's computer, and also if someone could tell me the the part number or something to identify the relay switch that controls the blower. If someone has a picture I would greatly appreciate it. If someone has a partnumber I would appreciate it. Also Is the replacement of the switch easy? Or am I just better off taking my car to the dealership, considering I dont know any respectable mechanic in my city.
Codes are read by a code reader. Sorry for the circuitous logic but that's what the device is called. You can buy one at more auto parts shops and some will read the code for you for free. There also is a service manual stickied on the forum, please download that to find your part. Also, what year/model do you have?

~Cheers~
Old 12-28-2007, 03:53 AM
3rd Gear

Go90go,

Thank you for the quick response. My car model is a 1998 Acura 3.2 TL. The symptoms I started having is that the blower would sometimes work and sometimes it wouldn't. I used to hear a click from what I imagined was a relay switch comming from the passenger side of the dash board when ever I turned on the blower. I no longer get that click noise, so that is how I assumed it was the relay switch.When the blower did work it worked very well. Strong air flow.

I hope this helps because I sure do need all the help I can get.

Thanks again,
Linux50
Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Perhaps the 3.2TL is different, but the 2.5TL climate control system codes are only accessed manually by simultaneously pushing Auto and Off buttons w/ keyswitch On. A partial display will result which can be interpreted for faults A-F. Blower motor fault is F (only OFF is illuminated on panel). If you download the manual, this should be contained in the manual, although I believe the manual is abridged and this part may be missing. Report what you find, and I can interpret from my manual.

good luck
Old 12-29-2007, 11:46 AM
4th Gear

Mine did the same it was the blower motor. I replaced it but, it only works on high. I even replaced the blower relay. I've tried to download the manual a couple of times but,not all will open up. Replacing the motor wasn't a fun job . It was on a 1998 TL.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:02 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Perhaps the 3.2TL is different, but the 2.5TL climate control system codes are only accessed manually by simultaneously pushing Auto and Off buttons w/ keyswitch On. A partial display will result which can be interpreted for faults A-F. Blower motor fault is F (only OFF is illuminated on panel). If you download the manual, this should be contained in the manual, although I believe the manual is abridged and this part may be missing. Report what you find, and I can interpret from my manual.

good luck.
I tried obtaining the codes via Auto & Off at the same time while engine was on. The display did nothing, as if the Auto & Off method does not apply to this model or something.

Linux50
Old 01-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Drifting

It may mean the problem is not one of the codes detected. Manual doesn't say anything about the no-code condition, but logically it would be no illumination of any part of the display, since the codes are expressed by illumination of select parts of the display.

The blower motor fault code detects a short or open condition in the motor. A fault code would only be present when the blower motor is not working.

Relay is under the dash on pax side. You'll need a manual for your vehicle to be sure which relay to pull. There are several identical relays on the panel.

good luck
Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Linux50
Go90go,

Thank you for the quick response. My car model is a 1998 Acura 3.2 TL. The symptoms I started having is that the blower would sometimes work and sometimes it wouldn't. I used to hear a click from what I imagined was a relay switch comming from the passenger side of the dash board when ever I turned on the blower. I no longer get that click noise, so that is how I assumed it was the relay switch.When the blower did work it worked very well. Strong air flow.

I hope this helps because I sure do need all the help I can get.

Thanks again,
Linux50
Linux,

What year & model is your ride? My car is doing just about the same exact thing (only I don't recall hearing any ::click:: ) Have you gotten yours fixed? Do you know what is causing yours to fail? Thanks!