!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!

Allright, so i came to this!

After new rad, thermostat and over 500 in "labour" for my car, it ended up beeing the headgasket. Its at 210k km not miles. People said its unlikely for an acura but anywho.... Im stuck in a dilema. To do the headgasket is almost 900 in labour plus tax. *cnd. Then the part, if its the gasket under 200, if its the head 300. plus tax obv. and shop parts. Gettin it machined is another 400, total of at least 1600plus tax. There wont be much of any warrantie on it since the block might be warped too, so who knows how long it will last. And if im at it i would do the timing belet too and im sure they wont hesitate to charge me out my ass for that as well. Through a random phone call i found an ENGINE for 1200cnd with 80k on it *km. At this point im deff. leaning against the new engine option... timing belt is allready done and it comes with 4mo warranty. From what i heared its easyer to do a swap then the headgasket/head. Not to mention that there is much less room for error. I also don't trust the dealership mechanic much, he seems to be guessing all the time. So i thought that him fooling around in my engine could lead to more proplems thus beeing easyer to just swap. I dont want to go to another mechaning and have him charge me 700bux to remove a wrench out of my combusion chamber. I need to make a deccision when i wake up today, hopefully in 3 hours. So i can get my ride back soon! Any experiences with this? Any suggestions ideas?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sebbiefresh
Allright, so i came to this!

After new rad, thermostat and over 500 in "labour" for my car, it ended up beeing the headgasket. Its at 210k km not miles. People said its unlikely for an acura but anywho.... Im stuck in a dilema. To do the headgasket is almost 900 in labour plus tax. *cnd. Then the part, if its the gasket under 200, if its the head 300. plus tax obv. and shop parts. Gettin it machined is another 400, total of at least 1600plus tax. There wont be much of any warrantie on it since the block might be warped too, so who knows how long it will last. And if im at it i would do the timing belet too and im sure they wont hesitate to charge me out my ass for that as well. Through a random phone call i found an ENGINE for 1200cnd with 80k on it *km. At this point im deff. leaning against the new engine option... timing belt is allready done and it comes with 4mo warranty. From what i heared its easyer to do a swap then the headgasket/head. Not to mention that there is much less room for error. I also don't trust the dealership mechanic much, he seems to be guessing all the time. So i thought that him fooling around in my engine could lead to more proplems thus beeing easyer to just swap. I dont want to go to another mechaning and have him charge me 700bux to remove a wrench out of my combusion chamber. I need to make a deccision when i wake up today, hopefully in 3 hours. So i can get my ride back soon! Any experiences with this? Any suggestions ideas?

Go with the newer engine. Is it a JDM engine?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Cruisin'

yeah, its jdm
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go with the new engine.
How much would be the labor?
Man, once you have the new engine in it, it would probably go another 200k. The 1st gen tranny are well built.

good luck.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

I just talked to a mechanic and he said 2300cnd for install, including timing belt and some other shit he recomended doing. Hopefully I can get the dealer to pick up some of the tab for all this
Old 05-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sebbiefresh
yeah, its jdm
Jdms are good. I replaced an old 3.0 v6 with a JDM maxima engine with low mileage about 2 yrs ago. The problem is that some JDM engines require a little modification when replacing regular engines to fit and work properly. You'll love it tho.

Here's a link i found on ebay for a JDM 1st Generation engine and tranny in Canada.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...0786&rd=1&rd=1
Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Cruisin'

A new engine would be nice! I found a place that will do my hgskt for 1200. That doint the engine would be another g or so... A little straped for cash right now, and i wasnt planing on keeping this car for too long. I think im gona fix it and get rid of it near the end of summer. Thanks for the info