98 TL 2.5 Valve Cover Replacement Conflicting Posts

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 98 TL 2.5 Valve Cover Replacement Conflicting Posts

OK, I'm seeing conflicting posts all over here and other sites about whether or not to use a sealant when installing a new valve cover gasket. I've got the following:

'98 TL 2.5
Fel-Pro Perma-Dry VS 50753R Valve Cover Kit

It says right on the box:

IMPORTANT: Install Molded Rubber Gasket and/or End Seals DRY WITHOUT CHEMICAL ADHESIVES

And another note on the box that says...

IMPORTANT: To effectively seal this sophisticated engine application, Fel-Pro has included a Perma-Dry* premium molded rubber gasket in this set.

So please correct me if I'm wrong but that sure sounds like you should not use any type of sealant when you install the Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plug Tube Seals and Valve Cover Grommets.

Am I missing something here folks? The very much repeated info to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces and DO NOT scratch or or damage any surfaces seems like good advice.

I'm planning on doing this job this weekend so if somebody could please respond by then I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks for listening.

Will
Faded Blue '98 TL 2.5 with less than 100K on it.

P.S. is anybody else getting a of site errors while searching and posting? It seemed to work well last week but today I am getting errors left and right.

I keep getting:

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:

Checking the connection

Checking the proxy and the firewall

Running Windows Network Diagnostics

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET
Old 01-26-2017, 10:31 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woo-hoo! A complete reboot appears to have fixed my posting issue. Maybe me internet connection was hosed because I got the errors in Chrome and Edge.