98 Acura TL 2.5 exhaust flex pipe replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
98 Acura TL 2.5 exhaust flex pipe replacement

The flex pipe had a hole in it so I found a Bosal 780-077 pipe on amazon.com
Amazon Amazon
$104.19. Word to the wise, pass on the metal Bosal crush exhaust gaskets and get the Felpro 23624 gasket http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Exhaust-Pipe-Gasket-Felpro_5780705-P_97_R%7CGRPEXHAAMS_____ it is thicker and seals the gaps better especially against the older pipe surfaces.

I was a little disappointed in the fit of the flex pipe. I had to dremel the inside of the pipe nearest the engine to get it to fit properly. It looked like a manufacturer defect with the welding and excess pipe protruding out of the end of the pipe that prevented a tight fit to the header pipe. Also, the transmission bracket holes didn't line up so I couldn't fasten the pipe to the transmission like the old one was. It is still hanging on the rubber hanger, but still.....

Getting the old pipe off was the hardest car maintenance work I have ever done. I was a dummy and cut the studs off below the rusted nuts. I should have used a dremel and cut the sides of the nut off and preserved the studs to the header pipe. It is ok if a little bit of the stud threads are dremeled flat. I learned this dremeling off the nuts on the cat side. I wasn't about to buy a new cat or drill these studs out.

I spent the next 2 days under the car upside down with a drill and expensive drill bits drilling the studs out so I could put replacement bolts and nuts on.

These studs were hardened dark matter born out of a black hole or something. I spent over $100 on dewalt Cobalt drill bits. I would drill a tiny pilot hole, then switch bits and drill a bigger hole, switch bits, drill a bigger hole, stop and rest my arm, get a drink of water repeat, replace the burned up drill bits repeat, run to lowes for more drill bits then move to the next stud. Yeah, that hard.

I finally got all the studs drilled out and replaced the studs with bolts and nuts. My back and arms hurt for weeks after that. I don't envy guys who do exhaust work for a living, if you are one of those guys, I tip my hat to you.