96' 2.5TL Won't Start, sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96' 2.5TL Won't Start, sometimes...

My 96' 2.5TL starts and works fine but once in a while it won't start after I've gone somewhere. NOTHING. No crank, no noise whatsoever. I keep try every couple of minutes or so and then, all of a sudden, voila!, it starts. The wait time will vary from 1 to 30 minutes. I've sent it to the mechanic a couple of times but since the problem is sporadic, it has not happened to him. The key seems pretty worn (no sharp edges). Could this be the problem? Does a starter behave this way? Could it be something that stops working when it gets hot and works after cooling off a bit? I have no clue. Please HELP.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Str8 Home built

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
have u checked your termanals on your battery..? are they tite on there..? i had the same problem but i changed my termanls and i never had that problem again. the stock ones are garbage thats also why i changed them.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Either it's the starter or the ignition key cylinder.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
If you dont' get even a "click" from the starter when this occurs, the keyswitch is most likely. I think there was a recall on ignition keyswitch assy for many 2.5TL models. Check TSB's.

If it "clicks" then starter is most likely the problem.

Check battery cables for good, tight, and clean connections.

good luck
Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM
3rd Gear

Thank you all for the replies.
No "click" or any noise from the starter when it doesn't start.
Battery terminals and battery seen OK.
Any idea where I can get the info on the problem (or recall) with the ignition keyswitch assembly? Where do I search for TSB's?
Thank you.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor

I'd say the cylinder.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear

Is this common?
Any idea how much for the cylinder?
Can I get only from the Acura Dealer?
Does it come with a new set of keys?
Can the problem be solved with remote starting?
Thanks.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:52 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
A search would've yielded more answers.

~Cheers~
Old 06-12-2009, 08:37 AM
6th Gear

I have the same problem...what was the solution to your problem Rold_Man? Not sure if I made the problem worst but I do remember when the engine cools the car will turn over so I poured water on the engines block. Now car won't turn even though the engine is cool. Everything is fine: battery is OK, terminals OK, new starter was put in last week...what could be the problem. Electrical? Very frustated here and the car is in mint condition. Never in an accident and only 110K miles. I also just did a full engine job (seals etc) and major tune...Only problem, it does not turn over! Even the radio and all lights work perfectly...PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM
6th Gear

BTW...I have a '96 2.5 TL
Old 06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
If you poured tons of water on the coils that go to the spark plugs and the things that they go to (I forgot the name) but that might be your answer.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 AM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Your alternator might have even been effected by this and that could also be a reason why it doesn't start.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

^ yeah why would you pour water of all things on the engine?
Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
6th Gear

Thanks guys for the replies...just spoke to my mechanic and he said that it could be something with the alarm..There was an after market that he removed. (frustrated!) I don't know, I also have problems with the key turning, it gets stuck!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
6th Gear

I feel like taking a monster truck and going to town on this car...Never buy another old car again...specially this kind... Does anyone have a monster truck they can lend..it would be very therapeutic
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM
6th Gear

this time it was just a quarter of gallon of water, next time it will be my POWER WASHER!!!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

Do you guys think its the cylinder? What can it be? I have bought to so many mechanics and the car is in really good shape...spend thousands getting it to this phase and don't want to let it go! PLEASE HELP or its the power washers
Old 06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Racer

i had this problem a couple of months back. same situation as you. go somewhere, sometimes it start, sometime it don't. it seem to happen the most when the car gets hot or driven for a long time. i took it to my mechanic. i told him to check the starter. a few hours later, i get a call from him and he told me its my aftermarket alarm starter kill not sending power to the starter. so he just push in all the connection on the alarm brain and it been working good since.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by white2.5tl
i had this problem a couple of months back. same situation as you. go somewhere, sometimes it start, sometime it don't. it seem to happen the most when the car gets hot or driven for a long time. i took it to my mechanic. i told him to check the starter. a few hours later, i get a call from him and he told me its my aftermarket alarm starter kill not sending power to the starter. so he just push in all the connection on the alarm brain and it been working good since.
Can you be more specific on the fix?Do you know exactly what he did? I'm having the same problem.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by meazz1
Can you be more specific on the fix?Do you know exactly what he did? I'm having the same problem.
he told me that the aftermarket alarm "starter kill" is malfunctioning. so the alarm is not sending the signal to the starter to let it start the car. he ask me if i want to take it off, i said no, and i went to pick up the car. i think he either push in the connector to the car or bypass the kill switch. that i dont now. i just havent had the time to check it out. but it has been working fine since then. sorry if it didnt help much.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a similar problem but it doesn't seem to be as bad. I'll turn the key and it won't do anything. Then I'll stop, retry, still nothing. Usually by the third try it will start. It's never delayed me for more than 10 seconds.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

I replaced the started about 3 weeks ago and ever since it happened only once. So I don't know what to make of this. I also have an after market remote door lock which has a starter kill relay.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Instructor

I have this problem constantly and one day i was stranded at a gas station for 3 hours and after that the check engine light said that crank positioning sensor is givng no ssignal. the only way i seem to start the car today is by the remote starter that came with the car and that seems to work. But manuel starting the car from the key seems to be the problem for me sometimes or should say 90% of the time. The car does click when i do turn the keyover and try to start it. There is also times when the key or remote starter seems to never work. so idk.

Last edited by Kev16; 06-14-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Instructor

That was a problem with me too last summer. But the stereo place that installed it said that it was the brain and they replaced. That warranty has good for over 5 years or more now lol. and the car has been fine ever since. But i dont think thats my problem now with the car. because i would turn the alarm off and it still wont start.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kev16
That was a problem with me too last summer. But the stereo place that installed it said that it was the brain and they replaced. That warranty has good for over 5 years or more now lol. and the car has been fine ever since. But i dont think thats my problem now with the car. because i would turn the alarm off and it still wont start.
This is a simple problem. Keyswitch, when turned to Start, should provide starter voltage to the starter. If no voltage at starter signal wire (to solenoid), then alarm may have interrupted the signal. Remove alarm connections and restore the signal wire direct (it was cut and spliced into alarm system somewhere).

If there is no aftermarket alarm; the possibilities are; keyswitch assy, wiring (broken wire - less likely)

Note, some alarm systems don't interrupt starter signal but rather the ignition supply voltage. In this case, starter turns engine over, but engine won't start.

Above assumes you have checked and found no voltage at starter signal wire when keyswitch is turned to Start. You have checked that,...right?

good luck
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
10th Gear

After reading this thread the other night. Just trying to ingest more information, etc. My car failed to start. It does, however crank and stuff. Can't seem to hear my fuel pump pressure up the lines however. Bought myself a new fuel (main) relay. Putting it in tonight. "Crossing fingers" Please let it be my relay. Fuel pump would suck! Still thinking of purchasing another 1st Gen. So I can have 2. I would work on one, get it primo and then fix the other. Thanks to you all here at Acurazine, for your suggestions, assistance and the overall camaraderie (alt:comradery)!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

It might not even be you fuel pump. It could be your starter, alternator, or water pump.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
1st Gear

Cool your acura

It could be the relay, check the mail relay.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Random bump...

Just start your own thread and introduce yourself and what kind of car you have.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:14 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by pashmak
It could be the relay, check the mail relay.
Yes, the mail relay is very important. If it's not working, you won't get your bills and will default on your loans.

~Cheers~
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 AM
98 Blue 2.5 TL 200,050 mi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

Acura won't start

Hi guys - I have just finished reading the thread since I now have similar issues with my Acura. I'm wondering if anybody found a solution. However, in the mean time, I am pursuing the main relay since my boss told me the same thing happend to his Acura and he soldered it and had no problems after. Here is a website I found to assess the soldering in the main relay and fix if it looks bad. http://bmmd.tripod.com/

About a month ago I noticed my car would have a fraction of a second delay starting after I turned the key. Finally the car would not start and I was sure the battery was not weak. I call AAA and they tried to jump start the car... no success. So I sent it to a mechanic and paid $275 to have a new starter put in. It worked great... for a few days and then failed to start with the same symptoms as before the repair. My boss then told me about his experience and success with the main relay and that is what I'm pursuing now.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Drifting

Virtually everyone in this thread w/ a problem refuses to do any diagnostics. They want to know "what's wrong?".

It could be missing electrical start signal (keyswitch), missing fuel pump power (main fuel relay), bad ignitor/coil, oily distributor, etc. If you don't want to do diagnostics, your only option is to start replacing parts and hope to fix the problem before you run out of money.

good luck
Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Instructor

I am still getting stranded now! Can Some please help me, or give me some sort of suggestion? This freaking car is making me mad! It uauLly happens After long drives, or fast drives. Some times the key won't start the car, the remote start does. The car does click with the turn of the key, just no crank. I know some else is having this problem, or had. I have a 3.2 tl. Oh yea, I do have an alarm,but the brain has been replaced before, so I don't think that's problem. Plus, I turned the alarm of and still no crank. o_O
Old 09-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Instructor

So can you hear the fuel inside the fuel filter cycling is it constant not intermittent? I would almost bet money on the key ignition cyclinder though. Even the ignitor sounds suspect if you threw water underneath the hood. But if you got dianostics for the crank positioning sensor there's your problem there it does happen sorry but true.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Instructor

It's not it. This thread is old. I did get a new sensor and still the same problem. I don't know what kind of click it is, but when I turn the key i hear a click just no crank. I Donny remember hearing any fuel. Is that same sound in the back of the car of fuel bubbling? If so, no I don't think I hear that. This time it happened, there was no other sound, but the clicking where the key is coming from.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by beastdk
Hi guys - I have just finished reading the thread since I now have similar issues with my Acura. I'm wondering if anybody found a solution. However, in the mean time, I am pursuing the main relay since my boss told me the same thing happend to his Acura and he soldered it and had no problems after. Here is a website I found to assess the soldering in the main relay and fix if it looks bad. http://bmmd.tripod.com/

About a month ago I noticed my car would have a fraction of a second delay starting after I turned the key. Finally the car would not start and I was sure the battery was not weak. I call AAA and they tried to jump start the car... no success. So I sent it to a mechanic and paid $275 to have a new starter put in. It worked great... for a few days and then failed to start with the same symptoms as before the repair. My boss then told me about his experience and success with the main relay and that is what I'm pursuing now.
Thanks fit the website, I think this maybe it :-). Just to find the relay now.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Racer

update: over the past few weeks my car is having the same symptoms again. i thought it was the keyswitch, so i replace that. still the same symptoms. cold start will start the car. drive somewhere, turn off the car, then it wont start. wait awhile, it starts again. i got tired of this and pulled the cheap aftermarket alarm. now the car starts every time even under the hot weather. no matter short or long drive, it starts. now looking for a better alarm..hmm..looking at the viper 5902.. any input on that alarm

sorry if im jacking the thread..and my car is a 2.5
Old 09-17-2010, 04:20 AM
大日本帝国

Most of the DEI stuff is good, I just prefer Clifford since I've had them since the wire for an antenna with a two button square remote days. Plus the recent/previous generation remotes look nicer, IMO.

~Cheers~
Old 09-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was my ignition switch DIY.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tl-1996-1998-101/ignition-switch-install-write-up-pics-725339/

Quick Reply: 96' 2.5TL Won't Start, sometimes...