1997 2.5 TL test drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
1997 2.5 TL test drive

I looked at a 1997 2.5 TL today thinking that I might buy it, but I ended up leaving without it and returning home with an even greater appreciation for my 1998 3.2 TL. Until today, I have only driven my TL, so I was surprised at the difference in the quality of the ride when I test drove the 2.5. Maybe it is because it has a smaller engine that this particular car drove like a 1993 Geo Prizm or a 1995 Toyota Camry. If any of you have driven those cars, you know that they seem kind of "peppy". You give it a little gas and it abruptly charges forward, giving you an advantage when the stop light turns green. My 3.2 TL isn't like that. When I accelerate, I can ease into it and feel much more in control of the car's actions. I have power and speed when I need it, but I decide when to use it. It makes for a much smoother and enjoyable ride. I love driving my TL and that is partially why I've stuck with it despite all its problems. I could not replace my old girl with the 1997 2.5 TL I drove today and that was disappointing. I am curious to know if all 2.5 first gen TLs are like that. Any first gen 2.5 drivers out there that can tell me about your ride?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
It's just the nature of the inline 5 in that car. Some say that the older Vigor with the same engine that came with the manual transmission was lots of fun. You just have to adjust to and get used to it. The 2.5TL model after all is considered the sportier version compared to the 3.2TL of that generation. I have driven the 3.2TL and yes it is more smooth and refined, but I do enjoy my 2.5TL for its "peppy" and lightweight feeling.

PS. It might help out a little if you had the a/c turned on since that puts some strain on the engine. On another note, it sounds like that car still has lots of life left in it from the way you described it, lol.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:19 AM
Instructor

Back before I started having problems with my TL, I might not have minded a peppy car. I was a bit more of a reckless/aggressive driver back then. When my car started having problems, I babied it and got into the habit of driving like a granny, lol. Maybe I could get used to it, but I'm afraid that I'll always compare it to my 3.2 TL and not be happy.

Yeah, that car did seem to have a lot of life left in it, but it had problems, too. The first thing I noticed was the radiator was raining coolant under the car and it turned out that the seller hadn't screwed the cap on right so it was spewing coolant all over itself as she drove it. Luckily, I had half a jug of coolant with me and added it all. The check engine light was on, too, and she said it was because the car needed a new muffler and something about emissions. Not sure what to think about that. I'm currently in contact with another seller with a 1996 3.2 TL who originally had it priced at $1,100, but after I started talking to him, he changed his ad to say he wanted to trade the car for a tractor with a snow plow. I can't say I have one to trade....
Old 11-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ah... There's no telling how long she's been driving low on coolant so I would stay away from that previous car. The last thing you want is purchasing another blown head gasket, lol.

About the car you just found, maybe you can talk the seller into taking the cash to purchase the tractor with a snow plow or put that money towards it instead. He might be able to get one faster that way than thinking about trading the car for one, haha. Let us know what goes on and good luck!
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Instructor

I know, right? The head gasket is the whole reason for looking for a new car in the first place! It was kinda funny, though, finding out that the cap wasn't on right because I wanted to open the radiator before starting the engine so I could watch for bubbles. I knew she'd be driving the car to the place we met at so the cooling system would be hot and pressurized. I debated about not bothering to check, knowing how dangerous it is to open the radiator while hot, but I decided to bring a rag, a wrench to unscrew the bleeder nut, and heavy mittens just in case the rag wasn't enough. That's why I brought the coolant, too, because I knew if I opened the cap to test, it would need more to replace what spilled out.

So she pulls in, raining coolant, and we open the hood and oh look - the radiator is already opened, lol! I added my coolant and ran the engine and I saw several very tiny bubbles surface in the radiator, but I wasn't sure if they were just trapped air in the cooling jacket or a sign of a head gasket leak. The top hose was very squishy and hot as if it was dry inside. I shudder to think of what might have happened to her car if I had not brought coolant with me.

I'll let you know what happens with this other car. I'm a little worried that the guy won't completely answer my questions. I asked if the timing belt and water pump had been replaced and if so, how many miles were on them and he just said that when he got the car, it didn't need them replaced, so he didn't do it. The car has ~130,000 miles, so if the timing belt was done at 100,000 miles then great, but if it is somehow still using the original parts, then nope, not good for me!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Yeah, the guy isn't answering any questions, giving the excuse that it's a '96 and he doesn't have the full history. (Uhhh, ya don't have to be the original owner to see if it has any rust on it, smells like it's been smoked in, has a working radio, cassette player, CD player, AC, and heat - gosh!) I don't know how I'll be able to tell if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced just by looking.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's almost impossible tell if timing belt or water pump has been changed without service records. Best thing you can do is look for signs that timing cover has been tampered with, but even that won't tell you for sure that it has been replaced. For a '96 130k miles is low mileage and good price if everything works and not trashed.

Opening the radiator cap on a hot engine is very dangerous. You usually cannot tell a BHG by looking for bubbles unless the problem is severe, and sometime yield false positive like you noted. Just monitor coolant temp gauge, check oil cap, dipstick, coolant reservoir tank for abnormal colors etc... Also, white smoke from tailpipe could be a sign of BHG.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:13 AM
Instructor

I could try using Carfax to see if there are records for the timing belt, but I have a feeling that this guy does not want to sell to me because everything he says is so vague. I asked where the car was located after he suggested I come see it, and he just gave me the name of the town it's in. I was kinda hoping it would be parked by the side of the road since it has a for sale sign on it in the pictures. Then I could send my brother, who lives near that town, to look at it to see if it's worth talking more seriously with him. If the car is in good shape, $1,100 is a great price. My TL was in great condition when I got it in, like, 2009 and it had ~135,000 to maybe 140,000 miles on it (I can't remember). My parents got it from a used car lot for $4,500 and we thought that was a good deal back then.

There's also a pretty black first gen 3.2 TL on Craigslist for $4,000, but it's a bit too far away and the ad says it has a TV and DVD player in it. Huh? I don't think DVDs were even invented back in the '90s!
Old 11-18-2015, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Carfax will usually not show maintenance records. Maybe the guy really knows nothing about the car, haha. Yeah, if your brother is nearby ask for an address so he can swing by and see it. The one for $4,000 sounds a bit overpriced. It more than likely has an aftermarket audio/video or headunit in it.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Instructor

The guy has stopped talking to me now, lol. I told my brother to try the street that the pointer on the Craigslist map was pointing at. I don't know if that is just the center of the town or if it is actually the guy's address.