$186.63

Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$186.63

Hey guys,

Just curious, I got a gift certificate from Midas for $200.00 but stupid Midas didnt do nothing to my alignment and charged me so I am left with $186.63.

What would YOU do with that money? Im thinking about getting new brake pads? I dont know the proper terminology for the front and back, if someone could give me some 411 I would appreciate it. Also, I dont think most people saw this but Ill try and post it here, thanks for the info and supportive responses.

Read my posts on Tires, Wheels, Suspension -> Proper PSI -> for more info. thx!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Save it in case of an emergency, or until a point where you realllly need it.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Advanced

hey what % tint do you have on that baby?
5% or 20%? is it also metallic? or just black?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 AM
Advanced

Tint

Heya,

The 4 windows are 10% roughly. I dont know the chemistry make-up of the windows; it kinda looks metallic, I get a lot of comments & compliments about it. Actually, youre damn straight; my tint is badass. LOL. The back is 35%, which is legal in my state. I know the 4 windows are 10% because every time I tried to get a safety check the last 4 years my car never passes inspection.

Even though 10% is nothing compared to SOME of the cars I see which have the "BLACK OUT" effect. You can bump your nose into their window and not SEE INSIDE. bleh.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 AM
Advanced

Choice under duress

Heya fellas,

Now even though I still have that $186.63 gift certificate from Midas, I plan on taking my TL to the dealer on the 20th of this month. Free 45 point inspection. Im scared of letting them take a look at my aftermarket rims; obviously, Ill have to give them the splineline drives for my lugs & McGard wheel locks, right?

I want NEOPRENE seat covers for estimated $500 total. OR -- I wanna drop my car -- how low, who knows. I dont know the pros or cons. What about heavy people in the back? Hows the ride gonna be? Bumpy? Will I have to avoid speed bumps? Will it affect cornering/performance?

I guess what my real question is this: friends tell me that COILOVERS cost around $1500 but they are ADJUSTABLE; SPRINGS costs about $300 but its a 1 shot deal only; and the worse, is if I CUT/HEAT my springs? that its a permanent deal, but I better have somebody who knows what the hell they are doing doing it.

Any 411 would be appreciated. What would you do? Interior seat covers, or suspension?

P.S. My interior is a beige/tan color. So is the trim, with wood finish above the glove and on the door panels. I want my theme to be WHITE car with BLUE secondary color. I would (have to) make my car seat covers black on the outside, and cobalt down the middle.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 AM
2005, Acura TL, 5AT

Originally Posted by hinode
Hey guys,

Just curious, I got a gift certificate from Midas for $200.00 but stupid Midas didnt do nothing to my alignment and charged me so I am left with $186.63.

What would YOU do with that money? Im thinking about getting new brake pads? I dont know the proper terminology for the front and back, if someone could give me some 411 I would appreciate it. Also, I dont think most people saw this but Ill try and post it here, thanks for the info and supportive responses.

Read my posts on Tires, Wheels, Suspension -> Proper PSI -> for more info. thx!
Sell it on EBAY!!.. and buy what you want!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Visit to the local dealer.

Hey guys,

I took my 1997 2.5 TL to the local dealer. This is what the free 45 point inspection technician/service advisor said after:

Drive belts cracking

Brake fluid is dirty

L/S outer CV boot torn

Both outer tie rods boots torn

Steering rack possibly leaking

Oil leak from motor

Brake pads low

Both front upper ball joint boots torn

Both lower ball ball joints cracking

OK. So now, about that $186.63 gift certificate that I have...what do you think I should/can get from Midas to help me out here?
Granted, the tech listed those above problems as "REQUIRES ATTENTION" and not "PRIORITY ITEMS".
Any 411 appreciated within that $186.63.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:02 AM
Advanced

back disc brakes

I accidently PRIMERed my rear rotors when I painted my calipers. I know, -- realllll stupid. Ever since then, every once in a while my brakes SQUEAL so badly, when I am reversing. Then, the squeal turns to more like a screech as im moving forward. From dead stop to acceleration the screech gets faster and more high pitched.

Heres the weird thing: It doesnt happen EVERY DAY. No, its only sometimes- but its after putting primer on the rotors, which of course, isnt there anymore- im deducing that when I step on the brakes the pads ate up the primer. Please help!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Advanced

where did u get those colored brake thingies whats the name of those
Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by longsta
where did u get those colored brake thingies whats the name of those
the blue calipers? it's paint. you can buy a kit at any auto store.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Hey guys, Im selling my STOCK OEM 1997 Acura TL 2.5L Wheels, along with near brand-new tires. I put the auction up on e-bay already, scheduled start time is 06/10/07. At 5PM PST. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2612&rd=1&rd=1

Lemme know if you're interested, I'd be willing to cancel and sell it to an Acura lover first!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced

oops

Sorry, here's one pic of 4 of what they look like

Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
most of it you can DIY and watever is the most important to fix the car..i would get ball joints replace asap..dont know what will happen
Old 06-12-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced

Problems

Thanks for the response Krayzie,

This coming weekend Im gonna change all 4 of my brake pads. I bought these CERAMICOOL ceramic brake pads, costed me $78 for the fronts, $74 for the rears. Was thinkin of rotating the tires while Im at it, even though Ive only rode on my aftermarket rims/tires for about 3000 miles now.

Sometimes, when I reach excess speeds of 60mph or more, my steering wheel starts to shimmy...my hands shake like I got arthritis...when I slow back down to 55mph, everything is OK. Scary.

When my friends and I get under the car we'll go ahead and take a look at the tie rods and what not, hopefully its fixable..
Old 06-17-2007, 02:37 AM
Advanced

Installed Ceramicool brake pads with friends help today. Sounds SUPER QUIET and no squeaking! Rock
Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Advanced

Which air filter?

Fellas,

Anybody know of a good air filter I can use for my 1997 2.5 TL? I was thinking of going with the "million mile warranty" with K&N air filters. Reading their web site, it says all you gotta do it swap em out, and thats it. Last air filter you'll ever buy!

Also, I've heard friends debate about this one for years. What do you think is better, having cool air from inside of the engine compartment, front (through the grill) or from underneath the car coming up?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:38 AM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^ Get a K&N, works a treat. Just have to be careful not to over oil it after washing. Hot air rises, make the deduction. Besides, since you'll be using a drop in filter with the stock intake system, you don't need to worry about where the air is coming from.

~Cheers~
Old 06-19-2007, 05:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Go90go
^ Get a K&N, works a treat. Just have to be careful not to over oil it after washing. Hot air rises, make the deduction.
Go90g0,

I dont quite understand what you mean by "over oiling"? And after washing what?

By the way, when I went to the official K&N web site and did a search for products via make->model->year->engine it only showed I can use the stock one! Darn.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Advanced

Driver's side Power Seat

Anybody got some 411 on how to fix the plastic part that holds up the driver's side trim on the seat?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:56 PM
大日本帝国

Go90g0,

I dont quite understand what you mean by "over oiling"? And after washing what?

By the way, when I went to the official K&N web site and did a search for products via make->model->year->engine it only showed I can use the stock one! Darn.
K&N filters are re-usable, meaning after 5000 miles or so, you can wash them with the K&N cleaner to bring them to an almost brand new state. After washing, obviously the oil that was saturated into the filter is gone, so you must re-oil it using the K&N filter oil. That oil is what gives it the red colour, as after washing the filter will be a greyish white. You spray it from about 6 inches away, following the ridges, with light even coats. Over oiling will hinder airflow.

About your seats, I believe it's held on by glue, but what kind and how much I have no idea.

~Cheers~
Old 06-26-2007, 04:10 AM
Advanced

Clarification

Go90go,

Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully I'll get a regular K&N filter for my car then. Sounds simple and easy enough, idiot proof (for guys like me.) A friend says modifying a japanese car is so easy, its just intake and exhaust most times. I dont know about an exhaust...dont want something too noisy.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Advanced

Has any First Gen TL users installed the "TORNADO" intake system? Is it even possible for my year, or not even worth bothering to mess with the fuel injection? Im debating now after hearing a friend say that he uses it in all his cars and trucks, supposedly increases HP and it saves tons on gas mileage, thanks!
Old 07-01-2007, 04:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has any First Gen TL users installed the "TORNADO" intake system? Is it even possible for my year, or not even worth bothering to mess with the fuel injection? Im debating now after hearing a friend say that he uses it in all his cars and trucks, supposedly increases HP and it saves tons on gas mileage, thanks!
lol what? what does the tornado intake system have to do with fuel? If you want one, just pay shipping and go90go can get one to your door. Its junk.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

...you're kidding...right? there are lots of explanations why spinning air (like a tornado) doesn't do anything for your car but i dont think it's even worth it to explain. bottom line is; spinning air wont give you better gas mileage or more power. if you're going to buy the tornado though, you might want to consider buying this as well. it adds 35 hp!!!

http://www.turbonator.com/
Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
If you want one, just pay shipping and go90go can get one to your door.
If you want one, I have one that I stepped on but bent back into shape. Please take it off my hands and make it into a crown for your dog to wear, hehe. My dumbass brother-in-law bought one falling for the hype, then threw it into a bunch of shit he gave me because he owed me money.

~Cheers~
Old 07-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Go90g0,

I don't quite understand what you mean by "over oiling"? And after washing what?

Wrong... I went the same route back in 2002, and found out that first gen 3.2 TLs use the same filter as the 95 Legend. Did a cross reference for the 95 Legend on K&N web site and found# 33-2089.

As for 2.5 TLs, 94 Vigor uses the same air filter as the 96, 97 and 98 2.5TL

The FRAM filter for a 94 Vigor is part #CA7284. Just check Fram's web site for other cars that use the same part number, then see if K&N sells OEM filters for the same model.

Drops right into the airbox, and works great...

After a couple of years buy a Recharge kit from your auto parts store, wash the filter out, re-oil it and you're good to go.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Advanced

Talking K&N web site

Sup guys,

Well if the TORNADO intake system is rubbish, then so be it.

According to the K&N web site when I look up year -> make -> model -> engine size - > the ONLY filter that is available is MODEL #33-2267.

Question guys: I was looking stuff up on Ebay for Acura TLs, and I saw this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4044205&rd=1,1

Thats not a real coilover, right?! No ways! Not for that price!!!

Thanks for the helpful posts guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 07-02-2007, 01:08 AM
大日本帝国

Even those will work if you just use them for the sleeves. Custom spring rates are available through a few spring manufacturers and you can actually get a good ride using them.

~Cheers~
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Sup guys,

According to the K&N web site when I look up year -> make -> model -> engine size - > the ONLY filter that is available is MODEL #33-2267.
I just checked K&N's web site, and they list 96-98 2.5TLs now. The part number for the OEM drop-in filter is 33-2267
Old 07-03-2007, 05:05 AM
Advanced

Midas "brand" mufflers??

Ok, looks like Im leaning towards getting a K&N filter, does anybody know how much horsepower increase there is? Also, since Im upgrading the intake, I still got that midas coupon and was thinkin of doing the exhaust as well.

I was thinking of getting a performance exhaust? But I dont want something super super noisy! Is that even realistic as far as what Im asking for? Ive heard they make mufflers with "silencers" in em, or "noise dampners" to reduce the throaty, raunchy sounds.

According to the Midas web site, it says they carry "Flowmaster" exhaust. How does the Flowmaster rate vs. the exhaust pipes/systems?

Thanks in advance,
Hinode
Old 07-03-2007, 02:06 PM
大日本帝国

^ Flowmasters are cool, not my favourite but still, they make good mufflers. If you want something that isn't too loud (which on our cars is almost everything), get a Series 40 and be done with it.

~Cheers~
Old 07-30-2007, 03:31 AM
Advanced

K&N muffler

Hey guys,

There were 2 sellers on E-bay for the model K&N air filter Im lookin for

1 guy instructed to e-mail him with S&H costs. He never mailed me back.

The other seller says they dont ship to Hawaii!

If anybody knows of a K&N drop in air filter for a 97 TL, lemme know.

Oh its gotta be under $40 bucks thanks!
Old 07-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Instructor

Hey guys,

As stated in this thread:

97 3.2TL filter is # 33-2089
97 2.5TL filter is # 33-2267

You should have no problem finding one from an online distributor that will ship to hawaii.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:51 PM
10th Gear

Hey guys,

Oh hey a fellow TL owner in Hawaii.
Go to Rons or Redline, they should be able to order you one.
Otherwise, go get a cone filter and pipe and make one, which will run about $40.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Racer

Anybody got some 411 on how to fix the plastic part that holds up the driver's side trim on the seat?
yo! I have the same problem. I got out of my car one day, and the back of my foot got hooked to it and broked it off.

Its about $23 bucks to replaced or ebay.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:23 AM
Advanced

10 years and aging...

Hey guys,

You aint gonna believe this. I dont have my friend's digital camera, but my DRIVER side sunvisor BROKE OFF! Right at the "L" part, the stress point, I guess you could call it-- SNAP! One day it just broke off. That sucks! Well I won another pair on EBAY but I had to cut the wire that was attached to the visor.

The wire runs right through the metal "L" shape that goes up into the ceiling somewhere. I deduced that the wire is for the vanity mirror (not like I use the mirror) in the sunvisor. Does anyone know how to fix this? Im sure just uninstalling the old visor and putting in the new one will be easy. But when it comes to re-wiring stuff-- its all greek to me.

I still havent gotten any K&N air filter yet either. Nor have I used my gift certificate. grrrr!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:39 AM
大日本帝国

Strip the wire a bit, then twist them together. Solder it, then either use electrical tape of heat shrink tubing. The heat shrink you'd have to slip on before you twist the wires/solder them together.

~Cheers~
Old 08-15-2007, 05:54 AM
Advanced

Bogus Seller?

Hey guys,

I got the sunvisor from E-bay, the ONLY seller who was selling it-- sold me a WRONG sunvisor!!! Christ. Yeah its an Acura but the wrong year-- its TOO BIG (width wise) to install it! However, I have it on at the moment, but only to hold up the sun shade I have for my car. Hopefully later Ill get the correct one from the seller since I e-mailed him.

Go90Go, thanks for the info on trying to re-wire the wire but I aint that savvy when it comes to electronics!!!

*Ill try and get some pics up next week too of the visor
Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Sunvisor Pics

Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 AM
Advanced

Easy Fix?

Anybody know how to repair this door handle? SIGH...my car's fallin apart!!!

Search this Thread