Ticking noise when on throttle?? 2004RL

Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise when on throttle?? 2004RL

There is a faint ticking noise seemingly coming from under my dash or under the hood when I'm pressing down on the throttle. I'm not sure if it does this when I'm in park or if its just when I'm actually driving but it's driving me crazy! its not loud enough to hear when i have on the radio but it's annoying as hell. It's a pretty rapid tick but quits when you let off the gas and doesnt seems to accelerate as the rpms do. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone else have this problem??
Old 01-28-2014, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it around 1500 RPM's that it kicks in and almost sounds as if its coming from the vents?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm pretty sure your transmission mount is shot. When Acura was replacing my rear main seal, they had to look at the transmission mount as well. Costly to replace. But it makes the sound stop, not to mention will make your car last longer.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's a perfectly timed click right? like almost electrical? And did it correspond with the cold weather coming on? My car did this the entire time I had it. I believe it has to do with the VSA or ABS system. it sounds like a solenoid, on my car it kinda sounds like its coming from in front of the passenger seat if that helps.

Never did any harm or anything, and once you get up to highway speed can't hear it any more. It'll go away when the temps go back up.

Last edited by kid spartan; 01-28-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:32 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an 04 as well with this exact problem. I figured out what it was by accident one night. Check your PCV Valve... mine ONLY does it when it is cold, and when the engine is below 3k rpms. It is extremely irritating. Take the cover off the engine, speed it up just a little and if you put your hand on the PCV hose you should be able to feel it.

Originally Posted by 04RL
There is a faint ticking noise seemingly coming from under my dash or under the hood when I'm pressing down on the throttle. I'm not sure if it does this when I'm in park or if its just when I'm actually driving but it's driving me crazy! its not loud enough to hear when i have on the radio but it's annoying as hell. It's a pretty rapid tick but quits when you let off the gas and doesnt seems to accelerate as the rpms do. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated! Has anyone else have this problem??
Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well shit i thought i was the only one. Mine does the exact same thing, ive never worried about it much
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I too have the exact same ticking noise. I have a 2000 and it is a faint ticking noise coming from the rear of the engine or the area of the air intake for the climate control, under the windshield wipers. Could it be the valves are going bad?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys, not trying to thread high-jack but I'm having somewhat the same problem with my 00' RL. But the ticking sound is coming from the rear of the car.. like in the back seat. I noticed it after driving and the rear seat arm rest was down and while sitting at a traffic light I heard the crazy ticking noise. It's not a steady tick tick tick, but more sparatic! It sounds like something electrical. I raised the armrest which actually hepled dampeded the sound but it does it when the car is warm and sitting still. I can't tell it still occurs while the car is moving. Any thoughts on what this may be?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:24 AM
7th Gear

^^^ same exact thing is happening to mine, along with the weird ticking while on the throttle
Old 03-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acnup
Hey guys, not trying to thread high-jack but I'm having somewhat the same problem with my 00' RL. But the ticking sound is coming from the rear of the car.. like in the back seat. I noticed it after driving and the rear seat arm rest was down and while sitting at a traffic light I heard the crazy ticking noise. It's not a steady tick tick tick, but more sparatic! It sounds like something electrical. I raised the armrest which actually hepled dampeded the sound but it does it when the car is warm and sitting still. I can't tell it still occurs while the car is moving. Any thoughts on what this may be?

I have the same thing happening, Ive narrowed it down to either the rear defroster or the stereo amp. Im leaning towards the stereo amp because it only started happening when I replaced mine, and its located behind the right rear passenger seat