Thermostat refuses to not leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 01:00 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat refuses to not leak

Hi all, I am almost out of ideas and before I went to buy OEM parts, I figured I'd ask y'all about what to do. So here's what's been going on:

11 months ago I got my timing belt done. 4 months ago I noticed that coolant was leaking from the thermostat - only from cold. Once the engine warmed up, the leak would stop and after driving on a road trip there wasn't a single drop of coolant under the hood so it definitely didn't leak coolant when the engine was at operating temperature.

So I went to buy a new thermostat and o ring and replaced them a week ago. I noticed that the o ring was almost identical to the one inside that the mechanic put in 11 months ago but the new one was a hair (less than a millimeter in diameter) smaller.

Well with the new thermostat and o ring in, it wouldn't leak cold but had a constant drip once the engine warmed up! I couldn't have that, so I put the old o-ring back in and there was no leak when i sat in my driveway with the RPM's at 2500 for 15 minutes. I thought I had fixed it but the next day it started to leak cold again. Doesn't leak once it warms up like before, but leaks cold.

So the question is, am I doing something wrong, or is that the o-rings are not manufactured specifically for Acura?? Im probably just going to go get the OEM o ring but anything else that y'all may think it could be, let me know!!!

tiller
Old 01-18-2016, 12:16 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Check the following...

1. The notch on O-ring is not line up with the notch on housing.

2. O-ring goes on the thermostat first.

3. O-ring is backwards.

4. O-ring defective- deformed, tear, etc.

5. Thermostat installed backwards.

6. Leak is not from thermostat cover, leak is from thermostat case (replace case O-ring).

7. Leaking from water pump and/or O-ring.