Taillights and interior radio 2002 RL

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taillights and interior radio 2002 RL

2002 3.5 RL

So last night I got pulled over because my rear taillights are out. My headlights, brake lights, and reverse lights all work. However my interior panel, (radio/heat/defroster backlights) and headlight notification light (the little green light that comes on when turn on headlights) is also out.

I'm not sure if this a coincidence that all three are not working simultaneously or what. There are not fuses for any of these problems to my knowledge, the interior stuff I can live without but I need taillights and was just confused as to if I need 2 new bulbs or if there is a bad connections or something because like I said, the brake and reverse lights also work in the back at the moment.

My high beam indicator DOES come on when high-beams are initiated.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Did you check the interior and exterior fuse box? This REALLY sounds like a fuse problem.
The following users liked this post:
jonshid (01-25-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
5th Gear

Yes, but I'll be honest its 3 degrees here and its a bitch looking at these fuse boxes especially the one inside because it is in such an awkward spot. Everything seems good in the box under the hood. What I do not get is how there is a fuse for every single electrical part of this car besides the taillights. That can't be possible could it?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I think Earls right regarding a blown fuse. I'm looking at my service manual (sadly only for 96-01) and it says in 99-01 fuse #1 under the dash controls the tail light relay.

Your going to need to obtain the guide for 02 but I would thoroughly check the fuses before testing parts. All of those interior light issues could be a fuse as a single fuse could control all of those. (Ex fuse 56 has stuff suck as clock, climate unit, audio unit, immobilizer indicator light, nav display etc...)
jonshid (01-25-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Racer

There is a fuse guide label glued to the cover of the interior fuse box that tells you what fuses do what, too.
jonshid (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 10:37 AM
5th Gear

So I took my Acura to my mechanic who has been working on mine for atleast 3 years now. He has put in a transmission, redone the exhaust system, ACjoints, etc. He told me that the problem could be and most liekly is resulting from the connections with the wires that run through the driver-side wheel. The last 2 months I have been driving without a splash guard, I live in Rhode Island we have been getting cold winter weather here finally and maybe the snow, ice, salt, dirt and everything could have caused a wire to break, freeze or disconnect.

Let me know if that seems like something reasonable to you guys, like I said this guy, he knows my car and has been very reliable to me so I don't think he is dicking me over.

I'm taking it back for the weekend and going to the carwash to manually clean out the wheel well so he can look at it on Monday. Anybody have a clue of how long/how much any of those wires that run in that area can cost?

PS. Long story short, maybe if you have a broken or no splash-guard in your wheelwell, you may want to replace it ASAP if you are in wintermode.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jonshid
So I took my Acura to my mechanic who has been working on mine for atleast 3 years now. He has put in a transmission, redone the exhaust system, ACjoints, etc. He told me that the problem could be and most liekly is resulting from the connections with the wires that run through the driver-side wheel. The last 2 months I have been driving without a splash guard, I live in Rhode Island we have been getting cold winter weather here finally and maybe the snow, ice, salt, dirt and everything could have caused a wire to break, freeze or disconnect.

Let me know if that seems like something reasonable to you guys, like I said this guy, he knows my car and has been very reliable to me so I don't think he is dicking me over.

I'm taking it back for the weekend and going to the carwash to manually clean out the wheel well so he can look at it on Monday. Anybody have a clue of how long/how much any of those wires that run in that area can cost?

PS. Long story short, maybe if you have a broken or no splash-guard in your wheelwell, you may want to replace it ASAP if you are in wintermode.
So just to be clear, we know that it definitely was not a fuse then, right? I just want to make sure of that before we investigate other alternatives.

I have worked in the area of the wiring harness that extends from the cabin through the driver's side wheel well. I have ran a couple of wires through it before and can attest that it was a real pain. Although if the wires are broken I'm sure you could splice them together, but Acura will probably want you to replace that section of the harness anyway. This could be a costly repair.

The wires are all bundled up together and checking them would involve removing the binding that holds them as one. I would hesitate to say that the cold would break the wires, unless they had some sort of damage to them already. I think the materials that are chosen to go into a car have to meet a minimum criteria for temperatures.

Anyway, if you just want to poke around your car yourself before taking it to the dealer, unless of course you already paid the diagnostic fee, you could totally do that. Jack up your car on the front driver's side, remove the wheel. Oh and make sure to chuck the back wheels, this is a front wheel drive car. From there, it is pretty easy to remove the covering and take a look.

I don't anticipate you will see anything standing out though. I think you would have a lot more problems with the car if the issue was that easy to find. But of course, it never hurts to check if you have the time.

A while back I had an interior lights problem that was caused by a bad front passenger multiplex unit. Although in this case, mine was not damaged by water. It is possible for water to seep into the multiplex area, or on the driver side, the fuse box and short something out. Has the car been going through a lot of rain lately? A good way to test this would be to either get a bucket of water or if you can get someone to hold a water hose on the top of the roof towards the windshield while you are in the car and see if you can find water dripping in those areas. Of course, check for corrosion, wet spots, stuff like that.

Last edited by MyNameIsEarl; 01-25-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looking over diagrams on AllData, fuse #1 in the under-hood box is the main fuse for all the lighting that is controlled by the headlight switch. It's a 15 A labeled "small light" on the schematic. The fuse feeds the "tail light" relay (also in the under-hood fuse box) which is controlled by the headlight switch. The "tail light" relay sends power to the dash lights, switch lights, all the exterior parking lights, puddle lights and such.

Last edited by El-Baz; 01-25-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:11 AM
5th Gear

I didn't take it to the dealer and pay the fee to get it plugged in and read, all the fuses are good. But since I had no splashguard in the driverside wheel the wires were exposed and all this snow ice and stuff could have made a few disconnect. I don't have all the stuff to put my car up and look at it. I am bringing it back to him Monday and hoping he can figure it out.

What if a single wire or two wires are broken? Do I have to replace the whole harness? I know splicing would be an option if it is only a single wire or two out. What does one of these harness of wires generally run? I do not anticipate taking it to the dealer, are wires specific to this model Acura or all Acura and Honda wire harnesses similar?

Thanks for you continuous input.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Racer

Well, typically, unless used for special purposes, a wire is a wire is a wire.

I don't know how much a harness or section of it runs, but I bet it's pretty expensive.

Are you sure you don't have everything to jack it up? There is a jack in the spare tire compartment.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There is a grey connector in the left, front corner of the trunk (C-670). See if it's OK. Looking at the diagrams, all the lights for the rear got through it. Do your brake and back-up lights work? If not, that connector is a common point for them all.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 AM
5th Gear

Yes El-Baz, the reverse lights and brake lights did work.

Heard back from my mechanic yesterday, said just a few wires became disconnected with all the snow, ice, dirt, salt, e.t.c from this winter weather and since there was no splashguard there it finally added up to too much damage.

He was trying to find a splashguard at a junkyard but could not. He also said he is going to try another place on Saturday but if not he will have to order the splashguard through an Acura dealer which is close to $100. Any of you know where I could get a splashguard for a 2002 3.5 RL, even if it is slightly used I think I can get by, thanks.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by jonshid
Yes El-Baz, the reverse lights and brake lights did work.

Heard back from my mechanic yesterday, said just a few wires became disconnected with all the snow, ice, dirt, salt, e.t.c from this winter weather and since there was no splashguard there it finally added up to too much damage.

He was trying to find a splashguard at a junkyard but could not. He also said he is going to try another place on Saturday but if not he will have to order the splashguard through an Acura dealer which is close to $100. Any of you know where I could get a splashguard for a 2002 3.5 RL, even if it is slightly used I think I can get by, thanks.
U said u from ri go to Henry's auto parts ri/mass line I just bought a hood fender bumper support radiator support and I paid 200 for everything and I was there yesterday they have about 15 Acura rl from 96-04
Old 02-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Racer

The grammar control center for my brain just went into meltdown.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

so this doesnt work on 02 RL 3.5 with nav? damn this sucks i need something i can install like a plug N play anyone know of any?