Low Fuel Level Stall on Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 12:17 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Fuel Level Stall on Deceleration

Interesting phenomenon I'm experiencing in my 1998 RL SE... I find that once I allow the fuel level to fall below about 1/8 of a tank, the car will simply stall as I brake at a traffic light or stop sign - or even drive down a steep hill. Once I fill the tank, the issue goes away until I consume that tank again. When filling the tank, the fuel level is not even low enough to illuminate the low-fuel light - and the car takes a full 14 gallons (tank is 18).
I don't see a lot of other posts about this situation, so I'm thinking this might be an issue unique to my car... Any thoughts?

The simple solution, of course, is to fill up at a 1/4 tank... but it seems to me that this is NOT normal behavior.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
A member had a similar situation on his 2000 Acura RL after having his fuel tank replaced ,do you know if the fuel tank or fuel pump has been replaced on your car?. See quote below.

Originally Posted by Babafats
Thanks for the responses I have identified and fixed the prob The attachment plastic pipe on the aftermarket pump screen was about a quarter in shorter than the original screen So I extended the attachment pipe with a piece of rubber hose and attached the old screen as the aftermarket screen was much smaller than the original and its attachment angle was different i.e it sat higher in the tank looking into the tank and jacking up the car on the left side confirmed that the bowl in the tank where the screen sits does not empty when the car is tilted. So it was a learning experience. The stalling on a low tank has disappeared
Old 05-24-2019, 10:01 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did see this post - but I don't believe the tank or pump have been replaced.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes I was the member
The problem you are having is the fuel pump pickup it must have fallen off into the reserve bowl in the tank remove the rear seat and the inspection plate over the pump and look at the tank pickup and ensure that when the pump assy. is inserted the pump pickup screen sits on the bottom of the reserve bowl., measure the distance from the bottom of the reserve bowl to the rim of the tank i think its 11 inches and make the pickup the same length
I had to jury rig an extension to the plastic tube to make it sit on the bottom but it solved the issue it will also die when the level is qtr tank and you go full lock in a circle i think to the left
Old 11-28-2019, 03:29 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only similar issue I have is that when there are about 2gallons of gas left in the tank (indicator just below E) the engine sometimes has trouble starting after being unused for a couple of days. Say engine starts on the third try. But then once it starts everything seems ok, including hard acceleration. Of course I get a little alarmed when it happens and typically make sure I fill up with gas immediately.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This may fix the issue
remove the seat and the fuel pump
measure the distance from the rim of the tank to the bottom of the pickup bowl u can see i think mine was 11 and a qtr in
measure the distance from the removed pump bracket ( from the bottom of the plate) to the bottom of the pickup screen should be the same ie the bottom of the screen should touch the bottom of the bowl - yours may have fallen off due to age if its never been opened .You should change the pump if its original i used a bosch-
the mechanic had changed the tank and pump on mine but somehow messed up the length when he inserted the new screen so i had your symptoms

Another test is to drive in a tight full lock circle left or right with the fuel low enough to give u the problem the centrifugal force will move the fuel away from the bowl causing the stall i think it only happens in one direction- right i believe due to the tank design mine was a 200 which has a diff tank shape from 96-99

good luck its annoying and causes problems in traffic
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Carpenter (04-13-2020)