Just got an 04 RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got an 04 RL

Just bought an 04 RL and I'm hoping I made the right choice. The cars where down to and 04 RL or TL. Loved them both.... and they where the same money, same mileage. The TL was fun, stiff, sporty, and the new body style. The TL made me feel like I was in a 50K sedan, drove smooth as silk, and still had enough guts to make it fun to drive.

Problem with the TL is it just didn't scream money at me on the outside. Guess I cant get used to the new styling.

I'm pretty young though so .. I fear the RL is too old fogie.

Ah whatever the RL is gorgeous with clean, nice refined styling. Saw one driving today and it was a head turner. And when i picked mine up today, i felt like i could live in it.... its that comfortable. Pretty sure I made a good choice......

What do you all think?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 04' RL is a beautiful car. It's a timeless design but unfortunately, lacks the driving dynamics of the newer Acura's.

Nonetheless, congratulations on your new RL!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
The 1st gen RL is a GREAT freeway cruiser. Its comfortable, has classic styling and a lot of features. Is it sporty? No. But most people drive on straight roads or in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs up

Sit back and enjoy the LAST BEST made Acura! They are realiable, comfortable and great to drive. You will NOT encounter:
Cold drive vibrations like on the 5 speed tranny's
No leaking tranny seals
NO Warped rotors time and time again like on new Acura's
NO rattles in this car
NO lame fog lights like on the new Acura's
Even the OEM battery seems to be better than the US counterpart supplier
No electronic air bag parts failing like on the new Acura's 2001 and up !
The greatest thing is you WILL NOT spend your valuable time at Acura Dealerships either !!!!! And if you do, they treat the RL owners like GOLD.......
I bought my 2004 2 years ago and have NEVER had a reason to return. I change my own oil and rotate my tires and eyeball inspect fluids........It is bullet proof
Old 04-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Advanced

I am an 04 RL owner, but would have gone for a TL. I picked up mine from a dealer who was going to send it to auction, so he over valued my trade, and cut the price down to 21. I bought mine in 05 and could not turn down a car that sold for 50, a year later for 21. I drove the new TL for a few days while my MDX was in the shop, and enjoyed the extra HP, and sports handling. The interriors don't compare, the RL is substantially more car, but driving a car that could pass for one made ten years earlier is a bit of a bummer. FYI, my RL now has 50K, no problems, no rattles, all good.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
First gen RLs, especially 2002-2004, are EXTREMELY nice inside. And they're smooth and quiet. I was considering one a few years back but I couldn't afford one at the time.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Now is the time to find them at good prices ! Go to auto trader, many of them. Consider one with low miles and a good price. Black on black is going to cost the most or the white pearl with ebony are going to be a challenge to find.....I talking about the 04's only......
Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for all the input. The more I drive the RL the more I love it. I do sometimes see the TL and wonder if I made the best choice but you definately get more for the money with the RL.

To be honest I like the styling of the 04 RL better in that it doesn't look as much like the new accords everyones driving. I agree ... It does look like its an old design though.

The TL sure was fun to drive... but thats what the motorcylce is for. I opted for the a nice comfortable ride this time over the highly responsive feel every bump stiff suspension racing mahcine the TL is.

Guess I'll just have to buy a TL in a year to compliment the RL
Old 05-26-2006, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

Does anyone with a 04 RL know if it has a dual stage advanced drivers airbag. I am considering upgrading from my 2002 accord which has a dual stage drivers airbag which has proven itself in a real world collision. I don't want to take a step backward. I can find nothing on edmunds or MSN auto or any Acura press release which implies all first generation RL.s did not get the advanced drivers airbag that was in the 2002 Accord. Supposedly the info should be in the owners manual.

Thanks in advance for any info current owners can give me.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by hsmoyers
Does anyone with a 04 RL know if it has a dual stage advanced drivers airbag. I am considering upgrading from my 2002 accord which has a dual stage drivers airbag which has proven itself in a real world collision. I don't want to take a step backward. I can find nothing on edmunds or MSN auto or any Acura press release which implies all first generation RL.s did not get the advanced drivers airbag that was in the 2002 Accord. Supposedly the info should be in the owners manual.

Thanks in advance for any info current owners can give me.
I assume you mean a dual stage PASSENGER side airbag, meaning that it will deploy based upon the severity of the impact. The RL in fact, was the first model to receive this technology..

According to this page, the 2004 RL does

http://hondanews.com/CatID3007?mid=2...asc&archives=t
DUAL-STAGE FRONT PASSENGER'S AIR BAG
To enhance the protection of the front seat passenger during a moderate to severe frontal impact, varying air bag deployment power is used in the RL. The sophisticated system, which uses a dual-stage inflator, automatically adjusts the deployment of the front passenger's air bag to deploy at one of two rates based on the severity of the crash and whether or not the passenger's seat belt is fastened. During a less severe collision, the dual-stage inflator system for the dash-mounted air bag is triggered in sequence, resulting in slower overall air bag deployment with less initial force. During a more severe collision, or if the front passenger's seat belt is not fastened, both inflators operate simultaneously for full immediate inflation, to correspond with the greater impact force.

The air bag system logic also controls the operation of the seatbelt pretensioners, which automatically tighten the front seatbelts during a collision to help hold occupants in place.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear

04 RL Dual stage Drivers side airbag question

I am referring to the drivers side airbag. My japanese made 2002 Accord (built in the same factory as the RL and my 1988 Legend) has a dual stage drivers airbag plus the passenger airbag you referred to. The older airbags, so called depowered airbags can still hit you so hard it can break your arm. Older people or people with any prior surgery around the head or neck don't want one of these older airbags going off. The threshold to go off is also raise if you have your seat belt on. I presume this is the drivers airbag that is still on all Hondas and Acuras as it is a pretty advanced design. Having been the thrid car in a rear end accident with this wonderful Accord and being pushed into the car in front of me I have confidence in this system. The new airbag did not go off and the older one may have. I also liked the system on my 1988 Legend which was no airbag!

My gut says the 04 Acura RL does not have the newer drivers airbag system as if it did it would have shown up in various internet searches. But if it does I have located an 04 RL that I am interested in. This is a last attempt to find out from an owner who may be able to look it up in the owners manual.

Thank you for your responses.