I love my 99 RL but need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:31 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile I love my 99 RL but need help

Hello all,

First time poster here. I have had my 99 RL for at least the last 4 years and I love it to death. It is at 245k miles, still runs well with some minor cosmetic issues, and I want to drive it to its final glorious mile. I am wanting to learn to do more maintenance as I do not have the funds to get professionals to do it, thus I must resort to DIY. There is a basic limited things I can do though I want to learn more. I know how to change its battery and change the tire lol. thats it. Things I want to learn how to do,

How to do an oil change
How to replace the mirror
General Maintenance

Anything I can do to extend the life of the car as much as I can as I will appreciate any general tips!

Thank you guys so much!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
www.youtube.com is your friend.
General car maintenance like changing the oil is the same in practice. Once you learn on one car, you can do any car.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:26 PM
9th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I do have a specific question, I am trying to open the trunk however only the key turn works. I already checked with switch in the glove box and when I press it, I hear a noise, but not the one that pops the trunk. I google come things however I am not sure if I need to replace the whole latch or not. I found a link to a older maintenance guide however it was from 2005 and all the posts was over 5-8 years old.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool

How were you trying to open the trunk without the key? The trunk release button on the key fob? The trunk release button on the lower drivers door? The switch in the glove box does not open the trunk, it's only purpose to disable the trunk latch from being opened by the drivers door button or the gray valet key. The theory being you can take your car in for service and you want to keep anyone from accessing the trunk you flip the switch in the glove box and then lock the glove box with the black master key. You then leave the gray valet key with the car which allows the dealer or mechanic to start it, drive it, or lock the car up but they won't be able to open the glove box or trunk with the valet key. If you don't have one see if you can get and owners manual for your car on eBay. It has a wealth of information in it and it also explains how to do a lot of the maintenance issue you are concerned with. I also agree with Justnspace that Youtube is a goldmine when it comes to DIY car stuff. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-17-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:26 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 2000RL
How were you trying to open the trunk without the key? The trunk release button on the key fob? The trunk release button on the lower drivers door? The switch in the glove box does not open the trunk, it's only purpose to disable the trunk latch from being opened by the drivers door button or the gray valet key. The theory being you can take your car in for service and you want to keep anyone from accessing the trunk you flip the switch in the glove box and then lock the glove box with the black master key. You then leave the gray valet key with the car which allows the dealer or mechanic to start it, drive it, or lock the car up but they won't be able to open the glove box or trunk with the valet key. If you don't have one see if you can get and owners manual for your car on eBay. It has a wealth of information in it and it also explains how to do a lot of the maintenance issue you are concerned with. I also agree with Justnspace that Youtube is a goldmine when it comes to DIY car stuff. Good luck!
Sorry if I worded it wrong, what I mean is I can only open the trunk via the physical key. The trunk release button on the drivers side does not open the trunk neither does the button on the key. I did check out youtube but even though it is a different model, would it be more or less the same?

I also tried to look up some repair or technical manuals, however they seem to be hosted on old websites that are now no longer available.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:00 AM
Instructor

Just a thought, have you tried replacing the battery in your key fob (remote transmitter?) It uses a CR2025 battery.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Instructor

p.s.

The reason the trunk release may not be working on the driver's door is that the trunk switch in the glove box is in the off position.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 2000RL
p.s.

The reason the trunk release may not be working on the driver's door is that the trunk switch in the glove box is in the off position.
Hey!

Thanks for the suggestions! I already tried the switch in the glove box and wasnt it. I ended up opening the felt in the trunk and saw that when the latch tried to unlock, it didnt pull all the way. After a couple of times, it works randomly and doesn't work randomly. Not a big problem but it is slightly annoying.