Bluetooth idea in non-nav KA9

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 11:08 PM
6th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Bluetooth idea in non-nav KA9

Hello all!

I'm not an RL owner (yet! I've attempted buying two already and am in love with the car) but I've been doing a lot of research about adding Bluetooth to the stock radio and being able to maintain the steering wheel controls (I hate aftermarket anything and want to preserve the original components). My reason for posting this thread is to see if someone has gone on a route similar to this and has any input, as hopefully I'm not the only person who has been so vehemently looking into this. I have searched around on this forum but couldn't see anything on this sort of track, I apologize if I missed something and am posting something redundant.

So, I'm familiar with the kits from iSimple, USA Spec, and GTA car kits and how they replace (or augment) the car's CD changer to get the Bluetooth functionality in as clean a way as possible with existing controls. While these brands do not directly make a device that will plug into the KA9s CD changer slot to do this, I've examined some compatibility diagrams for other devices made (specifically by iSimple) to determine what would work with these RLs.

iSimple's discontinued SoundByte iPod adapter, which was confirmed to with the car, used DIP switches 1, 4, and 8 to function properly in the RL (it lists different cables for 1998-2002 KA9s though I am very certain that it is incorrect, as I believe all KA9 non-nav RLs 1999-2004 had an 8 pin mini din CD changer connector), and these same settings with the same cable were also used in Honda Accords up to the 1997 model year. So, given the DIP switches were set the same for both cars and the Changer port used the same connector, I am led to believe that any device compatible with that radio should function with the RL's non-nav radio. It also worked with other older Acuras and the Legend, so I think that there's a lot more compatibility here than has been confirmed with these manufacturers.

So, using that information and searching around for 1996 Accord Bluetooth audio kits shows that GROM Audio makes this one (https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adap...interface.html) and that it comes with a cable (labeled HON92) that clearly shows a mini din 8 pin connector. If it's anything like the USA Spec install I did a little bit ago, it should be pretty easy and straightforward- exactly what I want.

While Honda had 2 very similar connectors in the early to mid 1990s (from what I can see, a Honda standard and an Alpine standard) I have seen adapters floating around that would hopefully mitigate this. Though, I don't think the RL saw as many changes throughout it's years as other models so I don't think this would come into play.

While this kit doesn't allow for the CD changer to remain connected, using a mini din 8 pin switcher to alternate between which device is connected to the radio may allow for both to be used interchangeably, with the main caveat being I'm not sure how the radio/devices would react with connections being severed and re-initiated upon switching the active DIN connection, though that's another topic for another day.

I hope this has been of interest to someone, and that someone can pop in with their thoughts. In absence of any new & notable information, this will be the first thing I try out when I can get my hands on a nice & clean RL this year.

Informative Links:
iSimple SoundByte kit Compatability Sheet: https://isimple.com/index.php?contro...attachment=708
[Redundant] GROM BT3 link: https://gromaudio.com/store/bt3_adap...interface.html

Else, I'm looking forward to joining you all in owning this very fine car!
Old 07-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
yup. grom been around for a while.

You could try looking for an audio switcher to only switch the audio/control portion while leaving power;/ground connected to both devices.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a Bluetooth usb plug! Zyncs with radio station!! Plugs into cigarette lighter!! No need for any hook up!!
Old 07-18-2023, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did you ever end up doing? Anything? I'm curious because I'm in this situation right now. Thanks
Old 07-18-2023, 06:42 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rickb20us
What did you ever end up doing? Anything? I'm curious because I'm in this situation right now. Thanks
Hi Rick! Wow I it’s been awhile since I posted about this. I was doing this research at the time I was shopping for a car in this genre- it was between the RL and a Lexus. Hilariously I ended up in nothing remotely like those- I got an 01 E430 4Matic instead. But it does bear relevance to this matter.

In the Benz I had to get a rare D2B adapter to use a device like the GROM. The D2B adapter I got converts the fiber optic to an Alpine CD changer DIN plug, and through this process I learned that the Acura DIN plug for the CD changed IS actually an Alpine standard/plug with 2 wires swapped. So in my Benz I’m actually using the same GROM device (with the HON92 harness) I’d mentioned above, but with 2 wires swapped in the harness it comes with.

While I can’t 100% confirm it since I don’t have the car, everything I’ve learned in the years since tells me that it’s likely the CD changer plug Honda used in the accord is the same as the RL. It’s likely just lack of testing or knowledge that they don’t mark it as comestible. I’ve been told some dumb and inaccurate things by vendors over the years relating to car compatibility, so those lists are definitely not a be-all-end-all source of information.
Old 07-18-2023, 06:44 PM
Cruisin'

just buy a fm usb tuner, it plugs into cigaretlighter you put radio on certain station it syncs and you connect via Bluetooth to your phone!! Easily hides in your middle glove box
Old 07-18-2023, 06:46 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by I2canfix
just buy a fm usb tuner, it plugs into cigaretlighter you put radio on certain station it syncs and you connect via Bluetooth to your phone!! Easily hides in your middle glove box
I have experience with these- I was never satisfied with the sound quality or reliability. Furthermore the lack of steering wheel controls was annoying! They’re a good stopgap solution but definitely not ideal. Especially in my area, the FM frequencies are too crowded.
The following users liked this post:
rickb20us (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

MichaelIZ08
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the DIN plug - is the one you're talking about the same as the one in the 8th image down, shown at this page? https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1...-input-774144/

Last edited by rickb20us; 07-19-2023 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added original poster
Old 07-19-2023, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for your reply. I've done that in the past but haven't been satisfied with the solution. I'd rather have something that looks very stock. Thank you for your suggestion though.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MichaelIZ08
Hi Rick! Wow I it’s been awhile since I posted about this. I was doing this research at the time I was shopping for a car in this genre- it was between the RL and a Lexus. Hilariously I ended up in nothing remotely like those- I got an 01 E430 4Matic instead. But it does bear relevance to this matter.

In the Benz I had to get a rare D2B adapter to use a device like the GROM. The D2B adapter I got converts the fiber optic to an Alpine CD changer DIN plug, and through this process I learned that the Acura DIN plug for the CD changed IS actually an Alpine standard/plug with 2 wires swapped. So in my Benz I’m actually using the same GROM device (with the HON92 harness) I’d mentioned above, but with 2 wires swapped in the harness it comes with.

While I can’t 100% confirm it since I don’t have the car, everything I’ve learned in the years since tells me that it’s likely the CD changer plug Honda used in the accord is the same as the RL. It’s likely just lack of testing or knowledge that they don’t mark it as comestible. I’ve been told some dumb and inaccurate things by vendors over the years relating to car compatibility, so those lists are definitely not a be-all-end-all source of information.
Just to follow up, I've been studying this post --- https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1...ation-902355/#

This guy figured out how to maintain functionality of the CD changer AND add an auxiliary input. The post is dated and refers to using an iPod and 3mm stereo jacks, but I'm thinking one could add a Bluetooth receiver plugged into that 3mm stereo jack and you'd then have a way to switch between the CD changer and your phone whenever you wanted. And, the Acura RL (1996 - 2002) has a blank plug in the console that would work ideally as a location for the double pole double throw switch/button to switch between Bluetooth and the CD changer. I haven't dug into my system yet though, so I don't know for sure that this is feasible.

Last edited by rickb20us; 07-19-2023 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:52 AM
6th Gear

MichaelIZ08
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the DIN plug - is the one you're talking about the same as the one in the 8th image down, shown at this page? https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1...-input-774144/
Yes, that’s correct. That’s the CD changer plug, it’s an 8-Pin DIN
rickb20us (07-20-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

Just to follow up, I've been studying this post --- https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1...ation-902355/#

This guy figured out how to maintain functionality of the CD changer AND add an auxiliary input. The post is dated and refers to using an iPod and 3mm stereo jacks, but I'm thinking one could add a Bluetooth receiver plugged into that 3mm stereo jack and you'd then have a way to switch between the CD changer and your phone whenever you wanted. And, the Acura RL (1996 - 2002) has a blank plug in the console that would work ideally as a location for the double pole double throw switch/button to switch between Bluetooth and the CD changer. I haven't dug into my system yet though, so I don't know for sure that this is feasible.
from my understanding of the DIN plug wiring, all you’d need to do to provide AUX is tap into the L, R, and GND wires going into the DIN plug. You could wire up a custom switch to switch the input on the L and R wires between a second device like the GROM and an AUX cable.
rickb20us (07-20-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 05:37 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for your reply. I've done that in the past but haven't been satisfied with the solution. I'd rather have something that looks very stock. Thank you for your suggestion though.
well with today’s technology!! If you want the best results!! Money not an issue!! Just install the Tesla radio!! Otherwise you have to tap into it as thread states!!!
Old 07-20-2023, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

That's exactly what I plan to do and is the reason I replied to an old thread about hacking into the wiring...
Old 07-20-2023, 09:14 AM
Intermediate

well with today’s technology!! If you want the best results!! Money not an issue!! Just install the Tesla radio!! Otherwise you have to tap into it as thread states!!!
What a childish reply. I said I appreciated your suggestion but explained that I'd already tried that method. In fact, I tried 2 different Bluetooth receivers. One was cheap but the other was higher quality, well made, and much more expensive. I did not like having the extra hardware always in the way.

No one ever said money is not an issue.

I am here because I want to learn about tapping into the stock wiring, so your last comment offers zero value.

Again, thank you for your suggestion to use a Bluetooth receiver. Been there done that, want something that looks stock.

Last edited by rickb20us; 07-20-2023 at 09:17 AM.
MichaelIZ08 (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 10:29 AM
6th Gear

What a childish reply. I said I appreciated your suggestion but explained that I'd already tried that method. In fact, I tried 2 different Bluetooth receivers. One was cheap but the other was higher quality, well made, and much more expensive. I did not like having the extra hardware always in the way.

No one ever said money is not an issue.

I am here because I want to learn about tapping into the stock wiring, so your last comment offers zero value.

Again, thank you for your suggestion to use a Bluetooth receiver. Been there done that, want something that looks stock.
I’m fully with you on this. Replacing the radio would ruin the look on the interior as it would be so out of place, which is why I went to such pains to get the adapter setup I have now. The GROM device works very well, provided it works as I expect in the RL I think you’ll be very happy with the solution. Any of my existing minor glitches I’m very certain are down to the D2B -> Alpine adapter rather than the GROM.
rickb20us (07-21-2023)