Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
debating rl or cl-s

im still debating CL-s or rl

the cl-s is a01 with 72k miles and it has navi or $12.8

and the RL is a 99 with 82k miles with no navi but he asking 11.8 i think

anwyays i think i want a RL more, im sure the CL would be the awesome but tranny problems keep haunting me and i donthave no damn 4gs for that! and the RL is a very nice luxurious car i like it alot! cl is too but damn them trannies!!1

anyways i found a few RLs with exceptional amount of miles and reasonable price i only want to spend like 12-13 on a used one! considering im still only a college student!

what i want to know know more about is WHAT Kind of aftermarket mods are there out there for this car besides springs and rims?

i seen a RL at me school with a lip kit but i dont know what kind it was.

also a big debate over the cl and rl is power!! the cl has that 260 and the rl only 210 or something for that year. that is a really big differ!

mods that i would be into are some nice black 17s with a nice lip, s2k projector retro kit, and i would want a front lip if ther is one! maybe exhaust!

anwyays what you guys think about the the debate and wha tkinda mods are out there?
Old 06-19-2006, 06:57 PM
M to da DZ

Let me tell you, I owned an 02 CLS and now own an 02 RL.

Go with the RL. You don't ever want those tranny problems. Mine went out at 59,000 miles and I'm the kind of guy that owns a car for a while. I have no faith in that tranny, and it's not a car that you buy for longevity. Just take a stroll over to the CL forums, you'll see that folks are still getting replacements recently that are failing. It's not worth it, go with the RL. You won't regret it, the quality is a step up. The only thing lacking for the RL is the power and option of accessories. The RL doesn't have options for ipods and direct aux into the headunit like the CLS, but you don't buy a car for "option" or "ipod integration". The CLS is a bad ass car, but it's a moot point to even consider buying it because that tranny is terrible. Everything else on that car is awesome. Go for the RL. You'll be driving the RL in 10 years and it'll take it in stride, you'd be on tranny 8 by then in the CLS.

Good luck!
Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

my vote is for RL. Yeah i'm biased since i own an rl but it is a vote nonetheless.....

Really, in my unbiased point of view, it is probably more practical for a college kid to go with the CL-S. I am aware of the tranny issues but I'd have it checked out real good and i believe that if the tranny were to go out, it would have done so already? I also believe some of the 99 RL's have had tranny issues as well!

few things that stand out are 01 vs. 99; 10k mileage difference; Navi vs. no navi; and last but not the least, Horse power!!!

You will definitely notice a HUGE difference in horse power. Don't expect to buy the RL and thinking you will be zipping around town....seems like i'm always the last one out of the gate at the stoplight....The one thing that bothers me about RL is the lack of the HP and gas mileage.

so my unbiased choice would be the CL and the biased choice would be RL but after having test driven both vehicles and in the negotiating process, it will come to you as to which vehicle stands out in your mind and go with that choice. That is what I did....one thing you do have going for you is that i think they're both solid options. Good luck
Old 06-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Umm...two rather different cars.

I think it comes down to practicality in this one. The RL is a larger car than the CL-S in most dimensions and will drive larger. It should have better, or at least more usable interior space and the convenience of four doors. If you need the four doors, then this should be the obvious choice.

Now if you don't really think you'll use all the space in the RL, the CL-S has more power, should drive a little smaller, and with the added features and lower mileage will probably be more appealing in other ways from the RL. Of course, it would have quite the comfort as the RL.

I would say that you need to sit down and seriously consider your needs and buy whichever car better fits what you need.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts

The CL-S is comfortable, but the RL more so. The RL is a highway cruiser, the CL-S can take on the curves. When you pick your car, base it upon what kind of driver you are, what kind of driving you do and if you need/want to have passengers.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

The CL-S is comfortable, but the RL more so. The RL is a highway cruiser, the CL-S can take on the curves. When you pick your car, base it upon what kind of driver you are, what kind of driving you do and if you need/want to have passengers.

I agree with that statement. I couldnt see myself driving a CL instead of my RL. Ive driven both and for the kind of driving that I do, the RL is perfect. I just enjoy driving my car where ever it may be. If on the other hand you are more inclined to ride around looking for the nearest corner to take at reprehensible speeds, id say take the CL.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:42 PM
M to da DZ

tranny...

nuff said, even though it may not have gone out, it will fail prematurely while all the RL owners will be riding to 200,000 or more. I can't state that enough, the tranny is what got me out of my CL, if not for that, I'd be driving it today because the car is damn good for the money.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I'll agree with the tranny being rock solid. My '97 TL shares the same tranny as the 1st gen RL.. all it requires is a transmission flush every 30 to 40 thousand miles to keep it running well.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
RL vs. CL

No brainer:
RL !
I had the 01 CL Type S and traded it when the tranny died at 74,000 miles. I bought the last of the 1st gen RL's (2004). I've NEVER missed the CL since......Rock solid car, oh and reliable !

P.S.
If I were you I'd consider an 04 RL, also keep in mind they are NOT the best with gas consumption!!! Heavy car !
Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Instructor

if it was 04 RL Vs. 01 CL-S, Yes, i'd say no brainer i'd take 04 rl. keep in mind it's 99 RL vs. 01 CL-S
Old 06-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Cruisin'

HAHA wow ur funny. get the RL
Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CM udall
HAHA wow ur funny. get the RL

i havnt checked this thread in a while! certain situations in my life have set me back from gettnig the car i want! but i def dont want a cl anymore! and i will got with a 01+ RL or a something. Before this debate was rolling around in my head i was thinking sc400 but likr a 01 model but i dont know who these cars are on gas that is!

but i still gots some thinking to do !!!

thanks for the help!