"Acura's Worst Engine" C35A in a 1996 3.5RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 08:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Acura's Worst Engine" C35A in a 1996 3.5RL

I picked a do-zee engine to try replace a head gasket on. I got to the point of taking off the timing plate with the integrated oil pump and it wasn't coming off; I broke the seal trying to pry it off so it had to at least come off for cleaning so I could re-seal it. My non-comprehensive Chilton shop manual had no information about why I was not able to get the timing/oil-pump plate off. So I went to Mike Hale dealership in Murray Utah for help, which they gave freely by printing off a 6 page booklet regarding the issue. As I reviewed the six pages, I just about cried when I saw the words "engine and transmission need to be removed and the transmission separated from the engine". Yep that's the truth folks, I had to get the engine out and separated from the transmisdion because the balancing shaft extends through the timing plate all the way through to the back side of the engine where a bolt needs to be loosened so the balancing shaft can be removed through the front of the engine and out past the timing plate.

This was only the second time I had ever taken an engine out of a vehicle. I took the time to put new bearing seals change out the head gasket grind down the valve head and have the transmission serviced.

I got the engine back in and had a knocking noise coming from one of the camshaft pulleys and found that I had problems with the little grommets on the back camshaft plate and needed a new one. I went to the dealership to buy one and the parts guy kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I thought he was saying I'm sorry because he couldn't get the part. But I drilled a little deeper and found out that he was sorry that I was working on that engine. He told me that was the worst engine Acura ever built and that they discontinued that engine after 2 years because it was so hard for the technicians to work on. I told him of my difficulties with the balancing shaft and then he said have you had any vibrations during acceleration period? I told him I haven't had a chance to accelerate yet and he said there's some shims in the drive lines in this engine that are difficult to deal with. I guess I've got future issues that I might have to face.

In conclusion I will easily agree with that parts counter guy in saying that this was the worst Acura engine I will ever work on if I ever work on another Acura engine.

Does anybody out there have any consensus or arguments? I'm interested if anyone has had the same opinions I have about the C35A engine.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
They never discontinued the engine after 2 years, so he has no idea what he is talking about, it was used from 96-04 and got a boost in hp/tq in the later years. This is NO WHERE NEAR the worst engine, let alone a bad engine at all. It actually was in the top 10 most reliable cars in the early 2000's and mid 2000s. Sounds like someone just didn't care of their engine.

Mine is at 76k, 0 problems EVER. I have buddies who have 200k+,300k+ and even 400k+ on their engines and barely have any issues, just stuff that breaks on any engine with wear and tear and years of use. These are very reliable engines, not the best power/mpg but very strong and long lasting engines.

There is a fb group of RL/legend owners that have tons of miles on their 3.5s and they are strong, sounds like you just got one not taken care of ever.

I would agree they are harder to work on then an I4 honda, but no where near the hardest engine to work on.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Throw your Chiltons in the fireplace and go to AllData and buy an on-line manual for your car. It's pretty much what a shop would use. I have several vehicles on my account so in the long run it's a lot cheaper than buying paper manuals. Plus, you can print the diagrams and instructions to have handy. You also can access latest TSB's, recalls, codes and such.
Helm's has paper manuals. Not sure if what they have is the complete service manual though. AllData is.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Adding on to what jaydubz said the C35 is a very solid motor. It's a slightly improved version of the C32 in the legends and they are known for their reliability. The biggest issue that commonly goes on them is the rear main seal (although still rare). That parts guy sounds like an idiot.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Yes the parts guy is an idiot.....
Old 01-06-2016, 08:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everyone else. The Parts guy is an idiot. They made the C35 all throughout the 3.5 RL run from 96-2004 and is based of the C32 which was in the Legend from 91-95