2004 Acura RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Acura RL

Bought a 2004 Acura 3.5RL a pair of weeks ago. Bought it from a dealer with 75,500 miles for $5,000. No wrecks, carfax was clean with no fishy business, showed regular oil changes were done. Had an undercoating and no rust (came from Florida), like-new set of Pirelli tires. Paint has some issues with the clear coat, power tilt wheel isn't working but I have plans to do what I can to adjust it manually under the dash and deal with it. Needs some front rotors, but no sweat there.

Took it to an independent garage to have them give it a look over to spot anything I missed. Other than the rotors, found everything to be in good shape. No stored codes, mounts fine, no leaks, suspension in good kit, hoses, etc all fine.

Bought it because I previously had been using a motorcycle as my only form of transportation for the past 9 years. Yes, even in Northern Alabama winters, even in rain, I was that idiot you saw freezing his butt off on two wheels in January. But as everyone is so addicted to their smartphones and texting all the time, my luck was running out and after 3 close calls within 6" of death in the span of less than one mile. I knew my luck was running out and it was time to hang up my riding boots and become a cager. Still annoyed I needed to give it up, but with as piss-poor my health insurance is? Probably a wise move!

Anyways, so far I'm fairly pleased with my purchase. First Honda I've bought that has 4 wheels! Price seemed fair and I just needed a commuter for work. Headroom could be a bit better for someone my height (6'5"), might be a little better once I can get the wheel to telescope out a bit (hopefully).

Do have a complaint tho and perhaps some of you may ease my woes or manage my expectations:

This transmissions is dumb. Feels like it's gear hunting in low speed (sub 20mph) turns while going uphill. Some sweet spots in the RPM it'll shift super smooth, more rarely it will lunge the car forwards a bit when letting off the throttle just as it's about to upshift. As if you were rev matching a manual transmission and let the clutch out at too-high an rpm. Rare, but does happen.

I'm objective knowing that I'm still getting to know this car's personality on how to drive it the way it wants to be driven. I'm also self-aware that I know I'm being hyper-analytical of everything the car is doing, with this being a used car and all. All the worries of, "Is this thing a lemon? Am I going to have to drop a transmission in this thing?"

So what ya'll think?
Old 08-10-2018, 08:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Welcome!

Yes, the RL transmission is a bit 'uncertain' at those speeds, nothing surprising there. It's a great cruiser of a car. They're solid and you got the rarest of that generation with the newest tech (back then) What color did you get? Pictures?

Enjoy!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:04 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Welcome!

Yes, the RL transmission is a bit 'uncertain' at those speeds, nothing surprising there. It's a great cruiser of a car. They're solid and you got the rarest of that generation with the newest tech (back then) What color did you get? Pictures?

Enjoy!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BJUshU57LNqbd6av5
Dark grey, tan interior. No shots of the interior, I'd mark it as below average but not bad for it's age. Some wear on the wheel, faux woodgrain has been worn off the shifter. Plastic that sits under the driver's seat has a big crack in it. But the leather is in great shape. Carpet is good. Navigation screen looks like an ancient laptop 14 years later, the cold cathode tube lighting is yellowing. But it's a fairly old car now and all to be expected and I've got not gripes about all that.

I was particularly amused to find the cassette deck in 2004 luxury car! Last car I had that had a cassette would have been a 1989 Volvo 780 Bertone. Man I loved that car, the interior really was opulent. Beautiful leather, real wood trim, fun to drive, robust... and yet the Swedish never learned how to make an air conditioner work. Guess they only have 3 days of real Summer to test it out!
Old 08-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When I bought my 98 RL (same generation as your 2004) I thought the tranny was a bit vague as well. I bought a case of Honda transmission fluid and did 3 drain and fills with some driving to mix fluid between. Could not believe the difference. It was like driving a different car. BTW mine had 148k miles at that point...now has over 240k miles. The trans seals did give out and have to be replaced at about 220k miles...
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:37 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RL98
When I bought my 98 RL (same generation as your 2004) I thought the tranny was a bit vague as well. I bought a case of Honda transmission fluid and did 3 drain and fills with some driving to mix fluid between. Could not believe the difference. It was like driving a different car. BTW mine had 148k miles at that point...now has over 240k miles. The trans seals did give out and have to be replaced at about 220k miles...
Thanks for sharing that. Getting the transmission and differential fluid swapped out is on my next-to-do-list, my fluid's color is telling me "I'm okay, but change me anyways".
Old 08-16-2018, 07:51 PM
7th Gear

Today was the day. Had an independent shop that works on exclusively Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura do the jobs of replacing the timing belt, pulley, tensioner, belts, swap the transmission fluid (properly), differential. Been in business a very long time and I like seeing older guys working on cars. DK Automotive in Huntsville, AL if anyone's local that's looking for a good place. Was impressed with em.

I used to enjoy doing these maintenance tasks myself. But my garage is too small to get a car in anymore. Was once a one-car garage that morphed into a no-car garage not long after I moved in. Tools, lawn stuff, storage, ate up the space so fast and never to return to car storage status! Plus I've gotten older and my back, knees and eyes aren't what they used to be. Being out in the driveway for hours in 98F just ain't my bag anymore. I make grunts when I put on my shoes these days, hah. So was kinda relieved to have someone else do it rather than me.

Plus I got a chance to try out Uber dropping the car off at the shop. Way nicer experience than a cab.

Picked the car up right during the middle of rush hour traffic so really got a chance to see how it was doing with what I considered it's weakest ability: <15mph stop'n'go.

Gotta say it is shifting much smoother, more civilized even. Much nicer in those low speeds and doesn't feel as snatchy when making those hard right slow turns in the neighborhood. Especially when it's being indecisive about if it wants to be in 1st or 2nd. Draws a lot less attention to itself. Which is good, because this transmission is dumb and it doesn't want to be called on by teacher!
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 AM
7th Gear

In heavy traffic I put the gear selector in 2nd so 1st is locked out and will start out in second.with no gear shift.Much smoother.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
You can also try the ECU reset. There's a thread in the 3G forum on how to do it....I can outline it for you below...basically it clears the cars "memory" on any previous driving habits so you can teach the car how you want it to drive. I did it on a 05 RL and it worked like a charm...

(1) make sure audio and fans are off.
(2) turn your ignition to the on position (last position before start)
(3) as you do step number 2, keep the gas pedal pressed completely
(4) wait about 15 seconds, keeping the gas pedal pressed for the entirety
(5) turn back your ignition to the off position (last step before key is removed, although I think most RLs are keyless start) (NOTE: pedal is still pressed until your ignition comes to the off position)
(6) finally release the gas pedal, and listen for a "click" sound near your glove box.
(7) if you hear the sound, the procedure has been successful. Now wait 2 minutes for a complete refresh
(8) start the car back up and enjoy your newly refreshed Acura.
The following users liked this post:
Ken1997TL (08-20-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 06:26 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MyGuti
You can also try the ECU reset. There's a thread in the 3G forum on how to do it....I can outline it for you below...basically it clears the cars "memory" on any previous driving habits so you can teach the car how you want it to drive. I did it on a 05 RL and it worked like a charm...
That is a good idea. Gave that two tries after work yesterday but never heard a click. This being a first gen, perhaps the method is not the same? I'll have to do some searching.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:17 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I like your writing style.
Congrats on making a decision for your safety. You have a nice cage!
Old 08-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
hmm I wonder if it doesn't work for the first generation. you can always unplug the battery for 30 minutes to achieve the same result, people say that works.
just be sure to have your radio and nav codes on hand because youll need to input them after
Old 08-23-2018, 09:19 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I like your writing style.
Congrats on making a decision for your safety. You have a nice cage!
Still has too many wheels! What I found funny is a week after I get the car, someone turned wide out of a round-about and nearly merged right into me. Didn't even flinch, "Come and hit me, I want new paint!" Timing was good to have a car that day.