98 RL Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
98 RL Struts?

Hi, I drive a 98 RL and am in desperate need of new shocks and coil springs. I'd prefer to get them loaded already so I don't have to load the coil springs myself, but I can't find any that fit this year/model (aside from $500+ performance parts). I can find ones that fit CLs and TLs and ELs from that generation but nothing for the RL. I can also find struts by themselves, but I can't find the coil springs. I want to buy new to get as much life as I can out of the car, as the transmission seems to have a lot of life left in it and after I do the head gaskets so will the motor. I guess my main question is does anyone have any idea if these TL EL and CL coilovers I'm seeing will fit in my RL? Or do you know where I can find loaded struts specific for my car? Again, I'd prefer to find loaded ones so that I don't have to put the springs on myself and risk losing a finger, lol
Old 07-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
You won't find any aftermarket coil-over shock/struts for your RL. It wasn't/isn't considered a performance platform like the TL Type S, TL, CL, EL etc so vendors never produced performance products for the RL platform specifically. What leads you to believe you need to replace the coil springs? They are designed to last the life of the car whereas shocks/struts do wear out and need replacing. Unless the spring is damaged I don't really see a need to do anything other than replacing your shocks and struts. It's a different story if you trying to lower your car but if that is not what your after stick with what you have and just replace the shocks and struts.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:20 AM
Intermediate

Hi, thanks for your reply. I really just wanted to buy loaded struts so that I could do all the work myself and not have to pay someone since I don’t have the tools to compress the old springs onto the new struts. I don’t really want to rent one of the autozone tools to do it because I heard that half the time it slips off and the spring blows up in your face lol. I’m also not sure about the condition of the springs because I’ve driven it pretty hard for the last two years so I figured I’d just go ahead and buy new to be safe.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Buying "new" parts for a 20 y/o car is becoming more difficult to do every year that passes for these cars. Cars are now designed to eliminate most shadetree mechanics from doing their own maintenance without a fully equipped garage with lift. Do you know anyone with experience that can help you? Have you checked with local mechanics that might installed your shocks/struts for labor only? Some mobile mechanics advertise locally that come to your home and perform maintenance, you could Google your local area for those. Sometimes you just have to realize your limitations and eat the cost of paying someone else to do the job. There are videos on YouTube to show you the procedures, but only you can gauge your skill level and if it's something you can accomplish by yourself. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzzz,

I'm a new member, as I only bought my '04 RL 3 months ago. However, I just replaced the rear struts myself last weekend. If you're looking to do this job and save some money instead of taking the car to a shop, you have two options:

1. Go buy a spring compressor (and any other necessary tools) and do the work yourself. BE CAREFUL, and know when to hire a pro like 2000RL suggested. I've used my Harbor Freight spring compressor numerous times now without issue. Just go slow and be cautious.
2. Remove all 4 strut assemblies (being sure to mark their location) and take them to a shop. It shouldn't take much shop time to swap out the dampers. The only risk I see here is getting the strut mount correctly clocked before getting home and realizing you can't get the holes to line up. If you have the service manual in hand, they should be able to get it right for you.

If you haven't already, be sure to download the Service Manual and read through Damper Service Procedure. It's available here:
G3: Service Manuals And TSBs - LegendWiki
Old 07-16-2018, 02:06 PM
Intermediate

Thanks! It’s good to know you haven’t had any issues with your compressor.