AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RL (1996-2004) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/)
-   -   2004 w/ navi what options for stereo? (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/2004-w-navi-what-options-stereo-923171/)

9000revs 12-18-2014 11:43 AM

2004 w/ navi what options for stereo?

I see some threads both most talk about non-navi. Can anyone help me understand what options are available to Aux In, or full Dual DIN replacement for navi models?

Thanks.

Fabvsix 12-19-2014 05:59 PM

ALL 2004 RL'S CAME FULLY LOADED WITH NAVI SYSTEM AND ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES...:toocool:

OLD_HATCH 12-22-2014 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 9000revs (Post 15273532)
I see some threads both most talk about non-navi. Can anyone help me understand what options are available to Aux In, or full Dual DIN replacement for navi models?

Thanks.

Full replacement is going to take a lot of work. The nav screen is about 2.5 inches thick and there is no room behind it to put a normal 2 din unit there. There is enough space where the radio is but then not only will you have 2 screens it will make everything kind of difficult. Remember on the 04 there is ac/heat controls through the navigation screen so taking out any component will affect it in one way of another

You can always replace the xm unit for an aux input that you can control through the radio, but I think thats the only option for the 04 unless you start cutting up the wire harness.

Jeep92 12-23-2014 10:06 AM

Good luck with this, I've been trying to make some head way with this for month it seems as if its going to be a lot of work with a lot of unknown information no one seems to have a definite answer I have been to local stereo shops and cant seem to find anyone who is willing to tackle the task. This is a great car but limited to what you can expand on the particular model due to the design of Navigation and intergration with heating and cooling system. If you happen to come across in great ideas or easy how to do I'd be willing to give it a try.

OLD_HATCH 12-23-2014 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeep92 (Post 15278481)
Good luck with this, I've been trying to make some head way with this for month it seems as if its going to be a lot of work with a lot of unknown information no one seems to have a definite answer I have been to local stereo shops and cant seem to find anyone who is willing to tackle the task. This is a great car but limited to what you can expand on the particular model due to the design of Navigation and intergration with heating and cooling system. If you happen to come across in great ideas or easy how to do I'd be willing to give it a try.

How about getting a plug and play xm unit? Have you tried that?

I dont have an 04 and its been years since I researched all this stuff so im going off the top of my head here.

9000revs 12-24-2014 04:04 PM

Hmm, options seem severely limited. I will look into the aux input option as that seems to be the easy way as of now, but any aux inputs mention non-navi car. If you know of a pnp aux unit, please let me know. Thanks.

OLD_HATCH 12-24-2014 05:58 PM

Yeah for the nav version of any year RL (96-04) there has never been a plug and play module of any kind.

For the 2004 there has never been anything announced as far as compatibility. I made the xm connection years ago when i was researching radios etc for my RL. At one point i was thinking about putting a 2004 radio in mine but the job was ridículos in time and money that had to be spent.

I never got anyone to try the xm aux input to verify if the plugs were the same etc.

Jeep92 01-06-2015 11:28 AM

Hatch, where would one get the xm aux input from? and what should I be asking for? I'm game to give it a try.

9000revs 01-06-2015 11:47 AM

Very interested in this option too. Please provide more details. Like the 04 model, but wont buy unless there are more audio options :)

9000revs 01-06-2015 06:37 PM

Could this work? Installer.com technician says it would for Nav models.
FM STEREO MODULATOR AX-FM01 AXXESS

9000revs 01-06-2015 07:01 PM

Installer.com technician says it would for Nav models - as long there is an antenna plugged into the back of the stock radio.
FM STEREO MODULATOR AX-FM01 AXXESS

Looking for your feedback. Thanks!

9000revs 01-06-2015 07:41 PM

Not giving up yet, GROM said to check and see if we have these inputs in the back of the stereo. Can anyone with a 2002-04 Nav model please check?
http://www.gromaudio.com/docs/compatibility_chart.pdf

OLD_HATCH 01-09-2015 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the back of a 2004 radio. Looks the same as "HON1M" on that chart.

Attachment 73472

With that said if you use XM on your 04 this will render that useless as I believe it replaces the xm unit.

Now there are units out there that keep the xm unit in place and use XM1 for the XM service and XM2 for the aux input.

Hope this helps.

9000revs 01-09-2015 02:39 PM

Awesome, that helps a lot. I am checking with GROM folks, but looks like there may be a GROM unit that can be used for AUX input for 04 nav models at least. Thanks.

9000revs 01-09-2015 06:22 PM

GROM has confirmed looking at the pic above that indeed 04 Navis will work with any of the following units:
Compare GROM Car Audio Integration Kits

Jeep92 01-12-2015 12:46 PM

This is great news and information 9000revs. Are you going to try this out? please keep me posted as I would like to try this if it works for you.

9000revs 01-13-2015 11:38 AM

Yes, would love to try it out but still looking for a 04 with low miles. :) So, if someone else with an 04 can try, would be faster :)

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jeep92 (Post 15295766)
This is great news and information 9000revs. Are you going to try this out? please keep me posted as I would like to try this if it works for you.

Ken1997TL 01-13-2015 11:42 AM

'04 RL's are hard to come by in the area, at least with low miles.

Oh and 99% of '04s have navigation. If they don't, they were originally sold in Alaska or Hawaii.

Fabvsix 01-13-2015 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an 04 with 27,xxx das original garaged California miles but have no plans in the foreseeable future selling here....Good luck finding one....

Jeep92 01-14-2015 12:02 PM

Grom equipment

Originally Posted by 9000revs (Post 15297226)
Yes, would love to try it out but still looking for a 04 with low miles. :) So, if someone else with an 04 can try, would be faster :)

Thanks.

When the weather breaks in the spring I'm going to give it a try 9000revs.

9000revs 01-14-2015 12:45 PM

yes, thanks for rubbing it in :)

Originally Posted by Fabvsix (Post 15297337)
I have an 04 with 27,xxx das original garaged California miles but have no plans in the foreseeable future selling here....Good luck finding one....

georgy_d28 01-17-2015 08:39 PM

I literally bought a 3.5mm jack from radio shack and tapped into the xm radio receiver in the trunk left. It took about an hour and had to unplug the xm antenna but it was all done for LESS than 10 dollars. I can help if you need something with that. I also added a sub tying into the rear speakers. And it was so so so so much better than factory.

Laoch 03-08-2015 02:16 PM

'04 RL with sub 68k on the odom.. relatively low miles for a 12 year old car! ('04s were on the road in '03) and no plans to sell her either, unless the future wife decides we need side impact airbag cars for babies in the next 1-3 years...which I doubt she will!

Adding a sub or two, or to remove the plastic lock for ski pass through and install subs or a set of 6.5 components stacked in a baffle is an idea I've been working on. However, the plastic lock plate and "hinge pin" needs to be removed from trunk side to fit two, if not, it only accommodates one 6.5" sub or speaker even with removing the "hinge pin" in the trunk to remove the "locking door", nothing bigger than an 8" diam. sub will fit, due to the width of the arm rest opening. The ski pass through is narrower on our cars so we can't get a 10" or 12" in there.. But I am interested to see If it's possible to add an amp and these components via tapping into the Bose.. even if I have to piggy back off the stock amp, without disturbing the Bose system already in place. Thoughts?

Cheers!

BlacknWhite23 03-08-2015 06:18 PM

I added a parrot bluetooth unit to my 04, which I am considering selling. It is far from low miles, however in pretty great shape!

Truthunter 06-20-2015 07:50 AM

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am considering purchasing an '04 RL. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the vehicle before I decide.
It is important to me that the stereo can be upgraded/replaced without having to mess with the nav/climate. But it looks like, from the pictures above, that they are all tied together electrically and one can not just replace the stereo independently? Is this correct?

legend921 10-06-2015 05:59 PM

Truthunter, for your question. It would definitely be harder to replace the stereo and more time consuming. If you're looking for something to mod then I would go with a 99-03 model non-navi to make it easier.

Laoch 10-07-2015 06:20 PM

My '04 is for sale, now. Has the Navigation with Premium Bose stereo sound, as they were standard on '04's, as previously mentioned. Buyer just needs to do some engine diagnostics / work. 72,000 miles. (Low considering her age).

One thing that can be done, is add speakers and amps tapped into the trunk, pre-amp or post amp wiring) I was about to do it. Plus i added a $7 Walmart tape deck aux input to through the smart phone on to access Pandora radio, or mp3's (if still doing that even!). XM has long been disconnected, but all of the original equipment is still there.

PM me for more and link to classified.

TIA!

Jeep92 01-19-2016 08:35 PM

Honda Acura 03+ USB

Good evening all, I was able to purchase and install the Grom audio unit in my 2004 RL W/Nav. The most painful part of the install was getting the radio unit out and back in. The sound is incredible this is what I was looking for. A special shout out goes to El-Baz for all of his help and advice on getting the radio in and out, also old hatch for the great info on the xm plug and play. The Grom unit is truly plug and play I can now stream Bluetooth from my android phone and play all my favorite playlist from my Ipod touch.
Honda Acura 03+ USB Android iPod Bluetooth AUX adapter( SKU: HON1U3 )
Honda Acura 03+ USB Android iPod Bluetooth AUX adapter

OLD_HATCH 01-21-2016 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep92 (Post 15660329)
Good evening all, I was able to purchase and install the Grom audio unit in my 2004 RL W/Nav. The most painful part of the install was getting the radio unit out and back in. The sound is incredible this is what I was looking for. A special shout out goes to El-Baz for all of his help and advice on getting the radio in and out, also old hatch for the great info on the xm plug and play. The Grom unit is truly plug and play I can now stream Bluetooth from my android phone and play all my favorite playlist from my Ipod touch.
Honda Acura 03+ USB Android iPod Bluetooth AUX adapter( SKU: HON1U3 )
Honda Acura 03+ USB Android iPod Bluetooth AUX adapter

Nice!

I knew that random bit of knowledge would come in handy one day. :D