2004 Acura RL Transmission or Differential Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:40 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Acura RL Transmission or Differential Failure

Hello, I was stopped at light and when changed, removed foot from brake and put on gas, loud screeching and clanking noise such that I thought that the person behind me had hit me. I put car in park, turned off engine. it rolled. I then had car braked and emergency brake. Police officer asked me to turn car on to engage in neutral so that he could push me to shoulder. Car started but when I put in neutral, screaming noise. The car has 220,000 miles on it. I spoke with one service station and they just looked under the car and said needed transmission and differential. I then had car towed to Tischer Acura because Matt, the service manager said that they would put the car up on the lift, run diagnostic, etc., for free. But got another person who told me it's time to get a new car. Supposedly, they "looked" under the car and said that there is a problem with the extension shaft and that they'd have to put car up and do diagnostic, which Matt told me would be done. He then quoted a price of 8 to 12K to replace the transmission, differential and extension shaft (Matt told me that the differential would be 1200 and the transmission 3500.

What should I do? I'm an elderly widower and need some assistance. Is it possible that only the extension shaft needs to be replaced? Thank you.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hope its not too late. Do not get service at the stealership. Find a local independent repair shop to do the work. When was the last time you changed the fluids? Transmission and differential can be source from the junkyard. Extension shaft does not look like a hard job for a mechanic. the Stealership will always be 5 times more expensive than the little guy . With those prices, I hope the parts come gold plated.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I concur with Kapikap on this. The "free" diagnostic is a joke because there is no diagnostic they can run on the drivetrain, it's inspection and disassemble to determine the cause of you problem. Google local repair shops in you area for reputation and price for transmission work because the dealer will seriously overcharge you for this repair. I found used transmissions online for anywhere for $400-$800 and that isn't even looking junkyards, but you need to find the parts you need locally because these parts are expensive to ship. A local area shop can best help you with this problem and the best place to source the parts you need because it's their business, and maybe even work with you on a payment schedule, the dealership "will not," You need to do you research on this and decide how much you are willing to spend on a car that has 220k miles on it and ask yourself what else could go bad. I have a 2000 Acura RL with a little over 107k miles on it and I love it and don't plan on buying another car in my lifetime (I'm 66) but there comes a point of diminishing returns. What if you spend this money and things start to go bad? Have you done the scheduled maintenance on a regular basis as specified in the owner's manual? You may need to consider selling your car "as-is" and using the $8k-$12k and find a good used car with less miles than your RL, these cars are hard to find and are desirable by many. Good luck!