VSA Light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VSA Light on

Greetings everyone,

I have an '02 with out Navigation. I have recently had to renew my registration and after fixing code after code, I was able to pass emissions. In the process, I had to replace my Cat. I did so with a Magnaflo hi-flo cat. Now, I have recently added an intake. My problem is now my VSA light is now on. I used a buddy's code reader and I am getting the same code that let me know my CAT was clogged. (catalyst below threshold. I have tried to reset this with no luck. I have checked all the intake connections and I have no leaks. I am wondering if I get a better muffler (freer flowing like an Ansa), will this solve my issue. Has anyone else with an intake have this problem? I have tried to search this but it seems just about everything related to VSA and an intake take me to the TL. I hope someone can offer some advice.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Cash Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you sure you don't mean the "Check Engine" light? The VSA light deals with traction and stability control and the like. The cat would fall under a check engine light.....
Old 07-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pro-Pilot
Are you sure you don't mean the "Check Engine" light? The VSA light deals with traction and stability control and the like. The cat would fall under a check engine light.....
Well, the bulb for the check engine light is out, but if it worked, I bet it would be on. The VSA light, the triangle light, and the ABS light are on. The only other times the VSA light ever came on when I did the EGR cleaning and damaged the O rings putting back the fuel injectors and gas was skeetin' out. The second was was when a hose was not connected. Everything was good until I put the intake on. I had no warning lights for about a week. Then they came on and I can't figure it out.

My friend said that he has a friend that had the same problem but on a different car. He said he put a restrictor in his intake because it was getting too much air? To me that didn't make any sense since that's the point of more air. Thats why I ask. Thanks for answering my by the way. your time is appreciated.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Cash Registered Member

No problem, well it sounds like you have some type of brake/abs/stability/traction control issue as well. The check engine light might be due to the cat issue, however you are having other problems besides that. The average code scanner a person has cannot read the VSA code, you need a special scanner for that that usually the dealer has (and a few independent shops as well possibly). You should try and get these codes as well. That way, you'll have a clearer picture of what exactly is going on and what you should focus on first.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pro-Pilot
No problem, well it sounds like you have some type of brake/abs/stability/traction control issue as well. The check engine light might be due to the cat issue, however you are having other problems besides that. The average code scanner a person has cannot read the VSA code, you need a special scanner for that that usually the dealer has (and a few independent shops as well possibly). You should try and get these codes as well. That way, you'll have a clearer picture of what exactly is going on and what you should focus on first.
Thanks. Any explanation for the low threshold reading for the check engine light? It has a new magnaflo cat. 02 sensor is new. Should I upgrade the exhaust? (Muffler)I was thinking of a freer flowing something, Ansa, Magnaflo, ect.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Cash Registered Member

What is the code exactly? Is it 420?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:59 AM
Cruisin'

yes it is.

Catalyst system below threshold.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Cash Registered Member

Have you tried to put the old intake back on and see if the code is still there? That way, you can narrow down the causes. The 420 code has a variety of things that can cause it. I would put the original intake on and see if the code goes away. And the VSA has nothing to do with the CAT, nor do the ABS and Triangle light.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Cruisin'

I would have done that but I got rid of it after everything seemed okay with the intake. I am guessing that the VSA is on due to something being loose (hose) I will have time today to check it out. Thanks for your help. I'll update after if figure it out incase anyone else has a problem in the future.