AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RL (1996-2004) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/)
-   -   2002 RL Ticking Lifter/Valves (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/2002-rl-ticking-lifter-valves-960029/)

ffwdubbs 07-03-2017 11:19 AM

2002 RL Ticking Lifter/Valves

Engine noise as loud as a lead pencil on a desk coming from 2002 Rl, 184K miles. Acura dealer goes from a $600 valve adjustment to saving me money and adding an additive to the oil. Now the engine noise is a knock on the desk. With a straight face the dealer says the car is drivable but they can quiet it for $5200. Anyone else dealt with the noise and have any recommendations?

horseshoez 07-03-2017 11:31 AM

Try a local shop which specializes in Hondas for a second opinion.

Crashmaster 07-03-2017 12:00 PM

Did you ever do a valve adjustment on this vehicle? Has there been any engine work? Did the noise start slowly and then got worse over time? What was the oil additive that they put in? I'm guess something like STP Oil treatment? It's very important to know specifically what they added.

kapikap 07-07-2017 01:56 AM

Stay away from the dealer!!! DO NOT GET LABOR FROM THE DEALERSHIP, EVER. YOU HAVE NO WARRANTY.

Some questions for you:
-timing belt and water pump, has it been done?
-full fluid change with Honda fluids, like antifreeze, transmission, brakes, fresh oil change (hi mileage oil)?
-run a code check?

the RL needs timing belt/water pump change every 80000 miles, just do it. looking at $700

Is this a "new to me " car, do all the fluids change.
-drain the transmission, not flush, and replace with honda fluid. drain the brake fluid, replace with factory fluid, flush the radiator, replace with honda antifreeze, check the diff oil and steering fluid oil, replace if bad. $200 max for labor, you pay for the liquid.

Find a neighborhood shop, and look for the best price. try to work out a package deal.

while you are at it, have an AC service done, vacumm and fill. $90.

just get the work mentioned, for a trouble free enjoyment.

NO WORK AT THE DEALERSHIP< AVOID AT ALL COST!

Crashmaster 07-07-2017 02:32 PM

I know that some people do not like dealerships (stealerships) but some people do.

Their technicians are factory trained and can do the job with higher quality and faster
They can perform safety recalls on your vehicle for FREE
Your 2002 Acura RL has a brake switch recall that can result in a crash if not repaired.
You are assured of genuine Honda replacement parts.
Yes, things are more expensive at dealership prices. You have to weigh what is important to you.

ffwdubbs 01-12-2019 06:54 PM

2002 RL Ticking Lifter/Valves

RL world.......decided to take a stethoscope and a closer listen. pulled the sparkplug closest to the driver and it came out in pieces. The threading was also blown so basically there was just a hole.
Bought a threader kit, caked it with bearing grease rethreaded the head installed new thread and sparkplug. ticking completly gone. replaced the remaining plugs changed the oil, brake rotors and pads and after sitting for 18 months onlyissues are motor mounts and dash lighting..........all suggestions were greatly apreacited....

kapikap 01-14-2019 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ffwdubbs (Post 16364217)
RL world.......decided to take a stethoscope and a closer listen. pulled the sparkplug closest to the driver and it came out in pieces. The threading was also blown so basically there was just a hole.
Bought a threader kit, caked it with bearing grease rethreaded the head installed new thread and sparkplug. ticking completly gone. replaced the remaining plugs changed the oil, brake rotors and pads and after sitting for 18 months onlyissues are motor mounts and dash lighting..........all suggestions were greatly apreacited....

and the dealer wanted to bend you over for $5200....
this spark plug problem happened to me in my mazda. the spark plug popped out, and I expected the worse. good for you in figuring things out. the RL is a runner.