AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RL (1996-2004) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/)
-   -   2000 RL fuel starvation (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rl-1996-2004-77/2000-rl-fuel-starvation-976459/)

Babafats 01-15-2019 08:57 PM

2000 RL fuel starvation

Hi RL Community
I have a strange problem . I recently changed the gas tank on my Rl as the original was leaking due to corrosion. I also changed the pump-denso- and the screen. When the gas level is just above the level of a quarter tank the car began to stall in a left turn , when i stopped at a stop sign , and on sloping roads . It only happens at this fuel level and gets worse as the level drops. After some time I figured it out. It would start up immediately after the movement of the gas in the tank stopped. Above this level the car behaves normally.

The tank is used from a 2000 acura RL. Has anyone experienced this before.?

The mechanic who installed the tank and pump told me that the tank has no baffles? is it possible that the pump could have been incorrectly installed, wit the old tank i could drive it down to the light

Fabvsix 01-18-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Babafats (Post 16366197)
Hi RL Community
I have a strange problem . I recently changed the gas tank on my Rl as the original was leaking due to corrosion. I also changed the pump-denso- and the screen. When the gas level is just above the level of a quarter tank the car began to stall in a left turn , when i stopped at a stop sign , and on sloping roads . It only happens at this fuel level and gets worse as the level drops. After some time I figured it out. It would start up immediately after the movement of the gas in the tank stopped. Above this level the car behaves normally.

The tank is used from a 2000 acura RL. Has anyone experienced this before.?

The mechanic who installed the tank and pump told me that the tank has no baffles? is it possible that the pump could have been incorrectly installed, wit the old tank i could drive it down to the light

CHECK THE MAIN RELAY SWITCH UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL NEAR SIDE WALL.....Its a money maker for Acura when they go bad.... all kinds of weird stuff happens....

Babafats 01-27-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fabvsix (Post 16367877)
CHECK THE MAIN RELAY SWITCH UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL NEAR SIDE WALL.....Its a money maker for Acura when they go bad.... all kinds of weird stuff happens....

Thanks for responding fabric I have already replaced the relay with an Acura part same problem

01acls 01-27-2019 09:57 PM

It could be a defective new denso assembly or the use tank. My money is on the use tank. Rust/corrosion and possibly debris may of enter and/or form on the inside of the use tank. Especially if it's been sitting in the bone yard with the gas cap off for a long period of time.

Babafats 02-01-2019 05:15 AM

Thanks for the responses guys
I've changed the main relay w a dealer part when you say the denso assembly do u mean the pump
I get the comment w the tank does this mean that debris may b loose and blocking the pump screen when the car moves
thanks

Babafats 02-13-2019 08:37 PM

Thanks for the responses I have identified and fixed the prob The attachment plastic pipe on the aftermarket pump screen was about a quarter in shorter than the original screen So I extended the attachment pipe with a piece of rubber hose and attached the old screen as the aftermarket screen was much smaller than the original and its attachment angle was different i.e it sat higher in the tank looking into the tank and jacking up the car on the left side confirmed that the bowl in the tank where the screen sits does not empty when the car is tilted. So it was a learning experience. The stalling on a low tank has disappeared