Are you guys Ready?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you guys Ready?

About my RDX...
My RDX as 280000km (174000miles) And as with no trouble beside the wastegate on the turbo. Now in my garage waiting for me to reinstall the Turbo.
Always used regular gas because never noticed the difference the times I tried Super.
Only things not original are breaks, spark plugs, liquids, belt, tires and the compresseur was replaced by Acura under Warranty.
Replaced the pressure switches of the Trans.
So its pretty much all original, there's no mods in my Car.

Very unreliable Acura
Old 02-20-2019, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
What?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I didn't understand either.

It really doesn't matter the make or model....
Cars are machines. Machines have moving parts. Moving parts fail.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,573 Likes on 6,624 Posts
amazing.
The following users liked this post:
Poveiro (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Poveiro
About my RDX...
My RDX as 280000km (174000miles) And as with no trouble beside the wastegate on the turbo. Now in my garage waiting for me to reinstall the Turbo.
Always used regular gas because never noticed the difference the times I tried Super.
Only things not original are breaks, spark plugs, liquids, belt, tires and the compresseur was replaced by Acura under Warranty.

Very unreliable Acura
Seems pretty reliable to me! the "not original" items you mention are wear items and thus, get worn out. I would, however, use 91+ octane gas because that's what the manual recommends.
The following users liked this post:
Poveiro (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 PM
Instructor

@justnspace @wusty23jd
Sorry for the missing words that made you not understand.
@schen72 When I went for the test drive the chief of mechanics came with me, we went and fill the tank and when he used regular he told the computer compensates for explosion time, that was the only difference on gas, that people worry to much (not my words) The super here is expensive.
About my RDX...
My RDX as 280000km (174000miles) And as had no trouble beside the wastegate on the turbo. Now in my garage waiting for me to reinstall the Turbo.
The only things not original are breaks, spark plugs, liquids, belt, tires and the compresseur was replaced by Acura under Warranty. (normal wear)
Very unreliable Acura
Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

@justnspace @wusty23jd
Sorry for the missing words that made you not understand.
@schen72 When I went for the test drive the chief of mechanics came with me, we went and fill the tank and when he used regular he told the computer compensates for explosion time, that was the only difference on gas, that people worry to much (not my words) The super here is expensive.
About my RDX...
My RDX as 280000km (174000miles) And as had no trouble beside the wastegate on the turbo. Now in my garage waiting for me to reinstall the Turbo.
The only things not original are breaks, spark plugs, liquids, belt, tires and the compresseur was replaced by Acura under Warranty. (normal wear)
Very unreliable Acura
I still can't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying because you have to replace items that are meant to be worn out (brakes, spark plugs, fluids) that your car is now "unreliable?" If that's the only stuff you've had to replace, isn't that the definition of "reliable?" It sounds like the only non-maintenance issue you've had is a wastegate problem in 174k miles of driving.

As for the gas, I'm sure using regular gas is just fine for a while but if you want the engine to last into old age, I would rather just use whatever the engineers designed it for. But I'm not an automotive engineer, I have no proof one way or the other. I just don't presume to know more than the Honda engineer that designed the engine.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by schen72
I still can't understand what you're trying to say. Are you saying because you have to replace items that are meant to be worn out (brakes, spark plugs, fluids) that your car is now "unreliable?" If that's the only stuff you've had to replace, isn't that the definition of "reliable?" It sounds like the only non-maintenance issue you've had is a wastegate problem in 174k miles of driving.

As for the gas, I'm sure using regular gas is just fine for a while but if you want the engine to last into old age, I would rather just use whatever the engineers designed it for. But I'm not an automotive engineer, I have no proof one way or the other. I just don't presume to know more than the Honda engineer that designed the engine.
What I wanted to say to some that have been asking is that the car is very reliable.
Also lots of people criticize the use of regular gas, I just wanted to show yhat its not the gas and that is very reliable.
When I wrote Unreliable I was with a grain of sarcasm.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
I'm glad that your RDX has been reliable. That is good to hear. If you want it to continue to be a reliable car, I also recommend that you start using premium gasoline. Similar to Schen, I am not an automotive engineer, but I like to stray on the sight of caution when it comes to factory recommendations.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:10 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I only use top tier gasoline stations usually mobile 93 octane gas ⛽️.

Using lower octane can ruin your motor, we need it because it helps to reduce knock with the compression were running in our high performance motors.

This is why you should get top tier gas ⛽️ I use mobile 93 only in my 09’ RDX.

More reasons to use it is that the manufacture of our vehicle recommends it.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

My personal philosophy is that if you're leasing or you know you're not going to keep the car for more than 5 years, using regular is fine. By the time any problems develop, it won't be your problem anymore. If you keep cars a long time, like myself, use premium (or the rating the manufacturer recommends). I kept my 99 TL for 18 years.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

What I wanted to say to some that have been asking is that the car is very reliable.
Also lots of people criticize the use of regular gas, I just wanted to show yhat its not the gas and that is very reliable.
When I wrote Unreliable I was with a grain of sarcasm.
The sarcasm doesn't come across easily in forum posts.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
The sarcasm doesn't come across easily in forum posts.

^^this, but I got it.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 AM
Instructor

My personal philosophy is that if you're leasing or you know you're not going to keep the car for more than 5 years, using regular is fine. By the time any problems develop, it won't be your problem anymore. If you keep cars a long time, like myself, use premium (or the rating the manufacturer recommends). I kept my 99 TL for 18 years.
You are in California, no salt on the roads, here in Quebec its a different story.