Yokohama Avid V4S on RDX - 1 week impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yokohama Avid V4S on RDX - 1 week impressions

Well, it's been close to a week now, and the RDX has been riding on the new set of Yokohama Avid V4S. It has gone through dry and heavy rain here in Mass., Boston.

Appearance impressions:
This has to be one of the better looking all-season tires around, both from the sidewall view, and also in terms of the tread profile. The rim protector lip trim makes it look really nice. I used Mother's FX tire shine on it after washing the car today. That stuff really sticks well to the tire. It typically lasts almost 2 weeks even in the rain.

Driving impressions:
The dry handling is good, as expected from a high performance tire. Pressurized to 35 psi, makes the tire feel really sporty (firm). Steering response feels much better than the factory Michelin Pilots.
It was pouring rain the last few days here, and the tires sliced through the water like a knife.

Not sure about snow handling, but being an all-seasons tire, not expecting much, hopefully the AWD system will help compensate for the tire's lack of full control of driving in the snow.
The factory all-seasons Michelins handled well in the snow downpour we had in Vancouver last January. And my RDX was going uphill on heavily snow covered roads as well. The SH-AWD certainly helped a lot.

Anyway, I think the Avid V4S certainly works well for the price, and also the predicted long treadlife makes it attractive as a replacement tire.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:39 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I purchased a set of V4S's also. Love them. We just had snow this week, albeit only 4 inches. They seemed to work pretty well. I also think they are great on dry or wet pavement. Handle well. Rated higher the the OEM Michelins they replaced. I can't tell the difference from the Yoko's over the Mich's. Over $400 cheaper for a set. I would recommend them.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mav238
Well, it's been close to a week now, and the RDX has been riding on the new set of Yokohama Avid V4S. It has gone through dry and heavy rain here in Mass., Boston.

Appearance impressions:
This has to be one of the better looking all-season tires around, both from the sidewall view, and also in terms of the tread profile. The rim protector lip trim makes it look really nice. I used Mother's FX tire shine on it after washing the car today. That stuff really sticks well to the tire. It typically lasts almost 2 weeks even in the rain.

Driving impressions:
The dry handling is good, as expected from a high performance tire. Pressurized to 35 psi, makes the tire feel really sporty (firm). Steering response feels much better than the factory Michelin Pilots.
It was pouring rain the last few days here, and the tires sliced through the water like a knife.

Not sure about snow handling, but being an all-seasons tire, not expecting much, hopefully the AWD system will help compensate for the tire's lack of full control of driving in the snow.
The factory all-seasons Michelins handled well in the snow downpour we had in Vancouver last January. And my RDX was going uphill on heavily snow covered roads as well. The SH-AWD certainly helped a lot.

Anyway, I think the Avid V4S certainly works well for the price, and also the predicted long treadlife makes it attractive as a replacement tire.
unsure about snow as in you dont know what conclusion to draw or unsure because you havent been in snow yet? in the latter case, you guys didnt get the snow of the past week in boston? it snowed last thurs thru monday
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 PM
10th Gear

Are they as quiet as the OEM Michelins?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you consider the stocks quiet? mine howl like hell
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

BTW, what was the price?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by greyghost04
BTW, what was the price?
Not sure what tirerack is asking now for them... got them for $140 a piece.