Wusty23jd's Progress Thread: 2007 Acura RDX Technology Package - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > First Generation RDX (2007-2012)
Reload this Page >

Wusty23jd's Progress Thread: 2007 Acura RDX Technology Package

Notices

Wusty23jd's Progress Thread: 2007 Acura RDX Technology Package

Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

That's excellent! The RDX is just a baby yet
Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

It has been about a month, so I figured I would take some time to update this progress thread. On January 5, I used my wife's RDX to run a few errands while she was at work. I noticed the car pulling to the left pretty intensely, so I stopped at a local bank to see if something was wrong. Lo and behold, I had a flat tire

Fortunately, Discount Tire was only a mile down the road, so I stopped in to see if the tire could be repaired.Luckily, it was just a nail and it did not impact the sidewall. A plug was installed and the RDX was back in business.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

During the Holiday break, I took care of some additional maintenance and replaced all four spark plugs.

1) Spark Plugs Replaced
Part #: 12290-RWC-A0 (x4)

I referenced these great tutorials to assist with completing this task. This write-up and these videos are lengthy, but the length is warranted due to the extensive amount of labor involved with this job.
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...-plugs-792921/

I had to remove the intercooler in order to gain access to the coils.

Underneath the intercooler was a cover that was held in place with four bolts. This also had to be removed.

After the cover was removed, I cleaned up the area with some dish soap and proceeded to remove the first coil.

After the first coil was removed, naturally I planned to remove the first spark plug. To remove each spark plug, a 5/8'' spark plug socket is needed. However, this was my first time replacing spark plugs, so I needed to purchase a spark plug socket. I decided to order a set of Craftsman sockets several weeks prior and never looked at them closely upon delivery. When I went to grab the 5/8'' socket, I noticed there were actually two 13/16'' sockets, but no 5/8'' socket. Ughhhhh....

Me, being the idiot that I am, already had everything disassembled, so I had to wait for my wife to get home before I could head to Home Depot and buy the correct size spark plug socket. I checked online first, and Home Depot's website said they only had one socket left in stock. Luckily, I was able to locate the pesky little thing after about 15 minutes of searching through the aisles. It was like finding a treasure chest at the end of a rainbow

When I returned, I removed each spark plug and added a dab of anti-seize when installing the new spark plugs.

For comparison purposes, below are some images that show the old and new spark plugs. I am not certain, but I believe these were the original spark plugs. The Acura RDX was at 112,500 miles when I replaced these.

During this process, I did make a few mistakes. The first mistake I made was that I over-tightened one of the rusty bolts on the cover when I was reinstalling the intercooler. I torqued the bolt just a little too much and the head snapped right off . Fortunately, the cover is held on with three other bolts and it felt fairly secure. It was unfortunate, but I"m not too worried about it.

The second mistake I made was that I was too aggressive when I removed the rubber bypass hoses. I used a hose pick and the point of the pick poked through the brittle end on one of the rubber hoses. When I reinstalled the hose, I wrapped some black Duct tape around the split end and placed the hose clamp over top of the tape. I haven't noticed any issues yet, so I think this will continue to be okay. However, I will continue to monitor this on an ongoing basis. If I need to replace the hose, it is like a $5 part.

The next few items relate to an installation that I performed a few weeks ago. I didn't want to just update my progress thread, so I created a separate DIY-type thread that highlights how I installed these items:
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...ra-rdx-976830/

2) Factory Radio Interface Installed
Part #: HP Pac ISHD651 iSimple

3) USB Auxiliary Dash Port Installed
Part #: TNP USB RCA Flush Mount Cable Dashboard Panel Dash Mount Port

4) Auxiliary Cord Adapter Installed
Part #: Kmile 3.5mm Stereo Jack Adapter
Old 01-30-2019, 11:42 PM
WTF?

RDX is lookin' good man!

Just had my spark plugs replaced, made a world of difference...
Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 PM
Carmine S.

Nice 👍🏻 job with your thread, itís very detailed! I like all of the tips and tribulations of doing your own maintenance/modifications!